“Great little historic motel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wigwam Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holbrook
Wigwam Motel
You added Wigwam Motel to your Saves list
811 W. Hopi Dr., Holbrook, AZ 86025   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
NE Penna
“Great little historic motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed here for our visit to the Petrified Forest. It was quite possibly the highlight of the 2-wk trip, hotel-wise.

First off, it's just neat-O. Everyone was out taking pictures that evening when we checked in.

There's plenty of room inside the wigwams, and they're quite sturdily built. And clean.

The bed was one of the most comfortable we had on the trip. Beds, I should say--we were in a 2-bed room.

The heat worked just dandy (it still gets chilly in AZ in April)

I barely heard the trains at all. I felt the vibration once or twice but didn't really hear any noise. The walls are thick and sturdy. And I live in the country, so it's not like I have trains running past my house.

The owners were very nice.

I agree w/ the posters who mentioned Joe & Aggie's. The breakfast burrito was amazing, and I didn't need lunch.

• Liked — Charm and beds
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sonora, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

Definitely out of the ordinary, but worthwhile for a couple looking for a fun place to stay that doesn't have a pool or many other amenities. The architecture is the thing here, along with the classic Route 66 image. This Wigwam differs from the one in Cave City, KY, because this one is AMAZINGLY CLEAN. Spartan, tiny, quaint, all these terms apply, but also AMAZINGLY CLEAN. (And just think of the trains as being lullabies.)

Stayed April 2007
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Definitely an interesting experience. Just like what I saw on the Disney movie Cars. I didn't think such a place still (or really) exists. Since most people have not stayed in a wigwam before, the owner offers the wigwam to be inspected before travelers have to make a commitment, which we thought was a nice gesture. The wigwam was spacious enough except for the shower. Because of its conical shape, the shower was located far down and we had to put ourselves in some awkward positions while showering. Fixtures were dated but well maintained. The owner also had a mini museum of his own and would be eager to show it off. There were quite a few interesting artifacts there. We thought overall it was a neat way to live in an era that we only knew from movies.

• Liked — uniqueness
  • Disliked — low shower head
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

If you are looking for the true FLAVOR of the old Rt.66 this is a great one. We stayed Over the weekend and had a great stay. The Wig Wams have alot more room than you think and were very clean.They have the basic goodies( TV, Cable, A/C, Temp contrled heating). Our Wig Wam had a queen the was very comfortable. Would really recommend a stay here. There are only 12 units and fill up fast. Our thanks to the owers for all the work done to keep this RT 66 landmark

• Liked — The RT 66 flavor
  • Disliked — Holbrooks pretty dead
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saluda, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

the place to stay for route 66 charm and a cheap bed. the rustic furniture in the wigwam was nice and yes, a bathroom with a shower fit in there too! we had fun taking pictures outside in front of all the old cars and "mater". my only complaint is that when we got into the room the heater had been turned way up. it was burning up and we could not cool down all night.

• Liked — cheesy and fun, good price
  • Disliked — the room was so hot!
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My son and I wanted to get some kicks on Route 66 and could think of no better way to do that than to stay a night at the Wigwam Motel. We saw the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, the Petrified National Forest and the Painted Desert. But guess what my 12-year-old son's favorite part of the trip was? Our stay at the Wigwam motel. To be honest, it was high on my list, too, just for the nostalgia value alone. What a treat. It's not a Westin Hotel, by any means, but it is a one-of-a-
kind establishment run by very cordial and accomdating folks who maintain their property. Our Wigwam was very tidy and we had a good night's stay. I had to laugh becuase I had read previous guests' reports about the noise of passing trains. To be honest, the noise of the trains didn't bother me a bit. However, when they passed and my bed started to vibrate a little, that got my attention! It was nothing major, but it was noticeable a couple of times. I consider that a part of the ambiance of the place. Where else can you get a vibrating bed for no extra charge? I would highly recommend the Wigwam for it's charm and nostalgia value. It's a one-in-a-lifetime experience that you can't miss.

• Liked — The Nostalgia of an original Route 66 Motel
  • Disliked — No Internet Wi-Fi service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Estes Park, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

I was very pleased dealing with the owners and lady helping 'man the desk' when we arrived at the true spirit of a mom & pop type motel. It was clearly authentic and vintage, but well cared for with pride.

The rooms were a crack up- we stayed in 2 because of our family size- they were both the same. Each person commented on the angled walls and bathroom mirror and shower head- it was something different- but not at all in a bad way!

The classic televisions were a throwback to my early days, with the cable box on top and color shifting- I felt like I was at home in High School watching the late show (good thing). I appreciated the lack of Wi-Fi and breakfast on site- which forced us to spend time talking and playing games as a family.

A TRUE CLASSIC motel that is a destination in itself. Don't miss this motel. TONS of great photographic opportunities here.

I'll be excited to stay here again someday in the future- thanks to the family that runs the motel for keeping it alive. My children ages 3-12 will not forget this fun part of our modern/retro spring break.

• Liked — The feel of a classic motel
  • Disliked — The rooms all look the same and my youngest son couldn't figure out which rm was ours (ha hal)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Wigwam Motel? Share your experiences!