“Small and nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wigwam Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holbrook
Wigwam Motel
You added Wigwam Motel to your Saves list
811 W. Hopi Dr., Holbrook, AZ 86025   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Holbrook
Baltimore, MD
“Small and nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The room was small but had everything that was needed. The shower head was a little hard to work with being on a 45 degree angle. It was really tough because I am tall. The room was clean and the staff was very nice. I like all of the old cars and feel to the place. There was a grocery store very close which was convenient. Plus Romo's food was out of this world!! Very nice visit to a neat little town of Holbrook.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I believe there are three remaining WigWam motels across the country -- one in Kentucky, one in Arizona, and another one somewhere. In a recent trip through Arizona we made reservations at the Holbrook, Arizona, WigWam Motel and had a great time staying there. People looking for a contemporary, new chain motel perhaps should avoid this facility. But for those who like adventure and nostalgia, this is the place. It is clearly a "mom and pop" operation. There are perhaps 10 "wigwam" units in this old motor hotel, each one designed to look like a stereotypical Indian wigwam. However, these are not canvas tents. Each unit is a strong masonary structure. They are compact but roomy enough. Our unit had two double beds with traditional southwestern decor. A working TV was available. Also, there was a perfectly functioning bathroom with a shower. The bathroom fixtures were very old but there was plenty of hot water and more than adequate water pressure. The room was certainly clean but of course old and well used. Outside of each unit is a permanently parked auto from the 1940s or 1950s which adds to the ambiance. The motel is located right on the old Route 66. You will enjoy a stay here as long as you know what to expect. Have fun!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Yes it's got a tiny TV and small bathroom and basic furnishings. But the place is clean and you're in a wigwam! It's a total experience and certainly fine for one nite, we really enjoyed it. Yes you hear the train but that's life all along Rt. 66. I liked the random vintage cars parked outside the wigwams. The woman at the front desk was very friendly, trying to give us pointers on where to eat. The options in Holbrook are fairly limited but we did play pool at the Mesa Bar & Grill and had excellent donuts at Donuts Plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Broken Bow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This property is a little hard to rate. If you are expecting a 4 star motel or an up scale resort, don't stop. If on the other hand you just want to experience a bit of yesteryear, and have a little fun doing it, please do not over look the Wig Wam. My wife and I stayed there while on a motorcycle trip from Oklahoma to Nevada this last summer. Fun and comfortable, and a little bit of our history as a country. Plan ahead and make a reservation to make sure you have a Wig Wam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm so glad that my husband and I decided to give the Wigwam Motel a try! If you're used to fancy hotels, this may not be the place for you, but our experience was great! The room was clean and cozy! If I'm ever in the Holbrook area again, this would be the only place I would want to stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Warwick RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Great on the outside, not so much on the inside. Drab, dated, and moldy smelling - to the point that after looking at the room we stayed elsewhere, forfeiting the fees.

And just an FYI. When you reserve a motel on your credit card, even if the room isn't habitable, you are stuck paying the bill. Because the rooms were so underwhelming (and with the musty smell, uninhabitable we thought) we decided to leave and stay elsewhere. When I went to the credit card company to fight the charges because the offerings weren't worth even the ~$50 as night, we were told that even if the service provided isn't good - we still have to pay.

So for $20 more we stayed 100 yards down the street in a nice, clean, and restful room. And as a frame of reference I've slept in campgrounds at Sturgis that were better for me - so not like I'm a snob. I just like to sleep without the smell of basement permeating my lungs.

Room Tip: Good room? Go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was excited to stay here but was just a bit disappointed. Maybe it's because I stayed in another place on Route 66 that had been redone and was much better than this one. But just to say you stayed in a teepee (wigwam) is pretty cool. The rooms could use some updating. I was very cold when the heat turned off and had to get up in the middle of the night to turn it back on. You can hear the train going by outside but it made it feel more like I was back in time on my way to California for the first time. It didn't bother me during the night. The lady at the front desk wasn't very helpful when I asked her where to eat. She only recommended a Mexican restaurant and that's not what I wanted. The wifi didn't work well at all. I think I was too far away from the office. But I would probably do it again if I was with someone who wanted to stay in a wigwam.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Wigwam Motel? Share your experiences!