“ho hum...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Goodyear, Arizona
“ho hum...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Good service but the food wasn't that good and really not that interesting either. Fun things to look at while eating but would prefer better food.

Visited March 2012

Avondale
“Breakfast is hands down THE BEST at Crackerbarrel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I always enjoy eating breakfast with friends at Crackerbarrel; the service is always excellent and the food is great.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, WA
“Like Grandma used to cook”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My in-laws pick us up regularly at the airport, and they love the Cracker Barrel. It is an interesting restaurant. The front half is themed as an old fashion country store. The food is the type you'd expect Aunt Bee on the Andy Griffith show to plop down in front of you. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but not why I usually go out to eat. Once I finally found a burger that I liked, I could at least order that, on other trips, I would just have a salad. I don't usually go out to eat Grandma's food.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
AZ
“Cracker Barrel has hit the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We've been eating at Cracker Barrel Restaurants for over 30 years. We liked their food and ambiance. However, something changed over the past year or so. Breakfast is consistantly served cold. Even after we ask them to make it fresh and bring it out hot. It comes out cold. We tried several different stores and they're all the same. On New Year's Day we planned our schedule around lunch at Cracker Barrel to have a tradiional southern style lunch with black eyed peas. We planned to go at 11:30 to beat the rush. We called ahead before driving 15 miles to the restaurant to insure that they had black eyed peas available. We waited 20 minutes for a table. When we ordered we were told they're out of black eyed peas. I talked to the manager who explained that corporate only sent them one bag of black eyed peas so they ran out before noon. WHO ARE THE CORPORATE IDIOTS THAT HAVE DESTROYED THIS RESTAURANT ? THEY SERVE COLD FOOD AND RUN OUT OF BLACK EYED PEAS BEFORE NOON ON NEW YEARS DAY ! MY FAMILY WILL NEVER, EVER, ENTER A CRAPPER BARREL FACILITY AGAIN. NOTICE THAT I DON'T CALL IT A RESTAURANT ANYMORE. It's sad that so many chain restaurants are being ruined by corporate bean counters that change they way they do business to save a penny.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Show Low, Arizona
“soulless food, gelatinous gravy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I used to live in the Deep South and miss the food.

Sadly, this Cracker Barrel is not the place to go for authentic Southern food.

I ordered the chicken fried steak breakfast with biscuits & gravy. The eggs were OK, the biscuits were subpar, and the steak itself wasn't bad--though it seemed more microwaved than fried.

However, the country gravy was truly unfortunate. I like thick gravy. However, it is possible for gravy to be too thick. When I tried to dump the little bowl of gravy on my biscuits, the gravy didn't pour out; instead, a cylinder of lukewarm, gelatinous gravy slid out of the bowl and settled atop the biscuits, maintaining its shape admirably.

The pecan pie was good, though we made the mistake of ordering it a la mode, so it came with a little ball of freezer-burned ice cream that hinted at artificial vanilla flavoring.

The kitschy decor reflects nostalgia for the rural South of past decades, though without any representation of African American people or culture.

Country & western music plays constantly.

• Visited November 2011