“Pleasant Surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Florence
Reno, Nevada
“Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stopped in this one horse town for work. Not alot to choose from in the food variety so we checked this place out hoping for the best.
Service was excellent and the food was great! Generous portions and flavorful.
Owner was happy to mingle with the patrons which I think is great.
If I ever come back to the area, I will certainly hit this place again.
----my only complaint would be no "inviting" outdoor seating! :(

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gila River, AZ
“Felt like we were Far from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Dinner was excellent. Started off with the flaming cheese, sorry can't remember the official name. The Pita bread served with the cheese appetizer was excellent.We both had the New York steaks, juicy and tender. The salad was delicious and the fresh Greek olives made it even more tastier. Although it's a short 15 minute drive from home, we felt like we were far from home.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Good Greek food in a small desert town...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

....and why not. Surprisingly, the town of Florence has a (recent) history that makes everything Greek not so unusual in this town.

Digress for a moment -- a visit to the St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Monastery in the morning with it's six incredibly beautiful churches and chapels and garden grounds is a wonderful prelude to a fine Greek late lunch or early dinner just 15 minutes up the road. (See Tripadvisor's entry for this place.)

And, yes the town of Florence has an excellent Greek restaurant to follow that visit to he Monastery. Located right on the main highway through Florence, the two-story red brick building is easily spotted on the north end of town, just south of the Chevron station.

This restaurant is a gem in the desert. The food is excellent; some of the best-tasting gyros that I have had this side of Chicago's Greek town area. If Greek food scares you, they also serve Italian and American food. (Can't vouch for those -- as my wife says, we wouldn't dare come to a good Greek restaurant and not order Greek.) The place is clean and airy with a friendly and helpful wait staff. I, of course, had the gyro platter (with Greek salad, rice, and cinnamon-glazed carrots (an interesting surprise!). My wife had the pork souvlaki. Both of us were very pleased. And don't forget to save some room for the desserts -- especially the galatobouriko (I'll let you figure out what that is -- or better, try it to find out.

Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner 6 days a week -- except Sunday.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Unexpectedly good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

On a road trip in Arizona, we found ourselves staying in Florence. Had dinner at Mount Athos restaurant.....Greek salad...lamb shank....baklava.....and a complementary shot of ouzo....a really nice touch! Food was very good.....servers very friendly and chatty....and offered to take a photo of us on my camera, ...very happy experience.....would recommend......only one very small gripe.....main course served before we finished our salad.....but. ....well it's the U.S.....and in the middle of nowhere.....we embrace the local experience!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“We heard good things but.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My dad and I went on a hunting trip south of Florence this past weekend and although we usually like to rent a motor home and rough it, we decided to stay in Florence and check out some of the local eats. The second night we were there, after a long day of walking with no luck on our hunt, we decided to go to Mount Athos. We had read great things about it and really looked forward to good drinks and food after a long day. When we first sat down, we both commented on the atmosphere. It was very clean, open, with a big crowd which we thought was a good thing. We noticed that there was a lot of family and friends of the owners eating at a big table next to us, at least we thought they were (the bartender was sitting down to eat with the group and periodically got up to make drinks which kind of gave it away). Our waitress came over and greeted us promptly and unsolicited explained how she used to work at the restraint and had left for a while and recently returned to work there. We found it odd why she offered this up but it felt like she was almost warning us that our experience would be less than par from her. Anyway, we ordered a couple of Grey Goose martinis on the rocks (not cheap) and some calamari to start. The calamari was great and the martinis were good but they used way too much vermouth which was less than desirable but we drank them anyway (who likes vermouth in martinis nowadays anyway?). We ordered a second round of martinis and we were very specific with the waitress NO VERMOUTH. When she came back, the drinks were in pint glasses, as opposed to the low ball glass that was used before, and she explained that they were out of the others. I totally understand that restaurants run out of glassware sometimes but to bring a martini in a pint glass…..really? I explained that we would use the old glasses and continued to pour the drinks into them. It was at that moment that I noticed the drinks were colored a touch and I asked what was in it. The waitress explained that the bartender was busy (last I saw he was eating with family) and told her to make it herself. She said "I never have made one so he told me to put vodka in with a little bit of olive juice.” I didn't want to be rude so I didn't say anything but at this point I was really starting to get irritated. We ordered our main dishes, dad ordering a New York strip and myself the leg of lamb. We drank our salty martinis and waited for dinner. We waited and waited and finally about 30 minutes later our food came out. Mine looked great but my dad looked at his and said “what is this, it looks like hamburger” she said “didn’t your order the Top Sirloin” and he said “no I ordered the New York” she said “oh I thought you ordered the top sirloin I will get you a New York.” This was odd to me because for one, she had written something down while taking the order and for two, the dish that was brought didn’t even look like a Top Sirloin. She asked how he wanted it prepared and although his “first” order was medium rare he decided to go with rare to speed it up. I ate my leg of lamb which I have to say was very delicious. The bartender/manager (apparently) came over and asked how the lamb was and briefly apologized for New York mishap and assured us it would be right out. What came back to the table was the nastiest looking piece of meat I have ever seen with so much fat my dad couldn’t even eat it. It was at this point the waitress came back over and again started telling us about how she had not worked there for a while and was not all with it (yes she admitted this to us), almost like we were supposed to think everything was okay because of it. The manager came over again and asked about the new steak and my dad told him it wasn’t that great. He simply said “I’m sorry” and that was it. We ended the night with a free baklava which was nice of the waitress but at this point our minds were made up, we would never go again.

• Visited February 2013