“Oldie Goldie” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
Calgary
“Oldie Goldie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stepping back into the yesterday of Grand Hotels, we were awed by the beauty. Rebuilt in 1927 after a fire destroyed the original, it has class. The history sheet is given when you check in to tell it's story as you climb the wide marble staircase to your room. The ornate doors are carved with the room numbers, opening to reveal newly-renovated updates. The room was adequate, clean and had A.C. and microwave. It is a valuable view of past days, and truly worth a stop over. Internet is available, as is the in-house restaurant and bar.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stopped here for coffee in Douglas and what a surprise. The hotel has a marvelous marble foyer and staircase where Pancho Villa apparently rode his horse up the staircase..... If you are in the area this is definitely worth a stopover. The hotel is very historic and looked to be well run.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Shirley R, Director of Sales at Gadsden Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Gabrielle96,

So glad that while you were visiting our neck of the woods that you had an opportunity to stop in for a cup of coffee.

I am so glad you enjoyed the grandeur of the hotel lobby. It is quite an unexpected find, isn't it?

The next time you are in town, we would love to have you spend the night with us and enjoy one of our newly renovated rooms in this 87 year old historic hotel.

Thank you so much for stopping by and for your charming review!

Kindest Regards,
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hi, am an avid watcher of the Program Hotel Impossible and recently watched this hotel undergoing a revamp. Great to read the comments and reviews, looks a great place if all facilities are up and running, good luck.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Edmondson,

Thank you so much for your kind review. The Hotel Impossible episode took place before we took over the property and we have made many, many significant changes to restore this lovely hotel to its original luster.

We still have some work to do but we are well on our way to making the Gadsden Hotel a top notch hotel and the gem of Southern Arizona.

The next time you find yourself in Douglas, please come back and visit with us. We would love to welcome you back and show you what progress we have made.

Best Wishes to you!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We went to the Gadsden because the idea of an historic hotel in small town in Arizona was so surprising. My feelings about it are mixed. We stayed on the main floor, which has been remodeled. The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable. It was a quiet evening, though we were staying on a Thursday night. I agree with past reviewers that the bathroom was unbelievably small. But, it is an historic hotel and a large bathroom would be unexpected. I was happy to have it in the same room. The lobby is incredible. It is very spacious with comfortable seating. The Tiffany glass windows are a marvel. I was up early and went to the lobby to watch the sunrise through the windows. I was not disappointed. Everyone I dealt with at the hotel was friendly and welcoming.

My concerns revolve around the parts of the hotel that had not been remodeled. We looked at one of the rooms and it seemed shabby and dingy. Because there are washer and dryers in the hotel, we took advantage of them and did a couple loads of laundry. The washer and dryers are located on the 2nd floor, so there were multiple occasions to go to the second floor. Each time, I was struck by how run-down it seemed. I could not imagine staying there.

My bottom line is to stay at the Gadsden, but only if you can get one of the remodeled rooms. I found them to clean and quiet. The rooms are of a reasonable size, but the bathrooms are small. Only venture to the upper floors if you need to do some laundry. Bring quarters.

Room Tip: Get one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Debra A,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am so glad that you got to experience the unique qualities of the Gadsden Hotel. You are right, it is quite unexpected to find Tiffany windows and marble staircases in the Arizona desert.

I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of one of our newly renovated rooms. We are very pleased with the way they turned out. The bathrooms, by today's standards are indeed small, but we have worked hard to retain the historical integrity of a 1927 hotel bathroom.

As you stated, we do have much work ahead of us as we work to renovate all of the guest rooms in various phases. It is work in progress, to be sure, but one we all view as a labor of love.

Debra A, please come back and see you again soon. We look forward to welcoming you back and showing you our further progress in fully restoring this wonderful historic hotel.

Hospitably Yours,
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I like this hotel, despite its problems. But it is definitely not for everyone. This is a place full of history (and supposedly ghosts), but long past its heyday. The lobby is amazing. The staff don't quite have their act together, but most of them are friendly and helpful. I've stayed here in the past, and the renovated rooms are definitely a step up from the old rooms, but still idiosyncratic. The new beds are very comfortable (especially compared to the old beds, which were terrible). Yes, there are no power outlets in the bathroom. Yes, the water temperature seems to be possessed. Our bathroom had hand towels and washcloths, but no bath towels. But I went down to the desk and she apologized and handed me 4 towels. The clock-radio seemed to be haunted and displayed random non-numeric symbols until I finally figured out how to set it. There is a ceiling fan, but you would need a ladder to reach the pull chain to turn it on. No wastebasket in the room at all. The restaurant is inexpensive and the food is good, but not anything fancy.

If your idea of a good hotel is a predictable chain, then you probably shouldn't stay here. But if you don't mind a little adventure, this place delivers. Where else can you take a manual elevator to your room? Or find a marble staircase with a chip out of it from when Pancho Villa rode his horse up it? Or huge marble columns topped by gold leaf? When we arrived there was an elderly man taking photos with a panoramic view camera he had made himself and we had a fascinating conversation.

I haven't seen any ghosts, but there are plenty of stories. Got into a conversation with one of the staff who said she hadn't seen any ghosts either, but told me that more than once people had checked out of their rooms in the middle of the night because of them. There are other stories too. Ask about some of the tiled murals, like the one of Pompeii in the restaurant (that's right, a hotel with a disaster scene in its restaurant).

If you enjoy the quirky and interesting, stay here. Otherwise stay away.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the renovated rooms. We managed to get one for $80 + tax.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wmleler,

Firstly, thank you so much for you review of your recent stay with us at the Gadsden. I agree with you in that our hotel is not a modern cookie cutter hotel and does offer a unique look at a bygone era. Since we are a historically significant building, we have tried to modernize the hotel while still maintaining its historical perspective intact.

I am glad that you enjoyed our lobby and were able to meet another interesting and interested traveler. We do attract history buffs, architecture aficionados and those looking for an out of the ordinary and unique travel experience.

I am pleased you found the food in our restaurant good and that our staff was helpful and friendly. We are working everyday to grow and improve all aspects of our operation.

Please come back and see us again soon!

Kind Regards,
Queen Creek, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife decided to stay at the Gadsden in Douglas because we were spending the weekend in Tombstone and wanted to try something new. I went on to Booking.com and found some hotels in the area and the Gadsden showed up with newly remodeled rooms at a super cheap rate! So I took the plunge and booked it. When we got there it was about 10:30pm & I was tired of driving (4hr drive). We were told they have newly remodeled rooms if we wanted to upgrade for an extra $30 per night and then was told the room we got wasn't remodeled. I told the clerk that's not what was indicated on booking.com or their website & I would like what was advertised to us & sold us on coming all the way to Douglas to stay there. She said she couldn't do that! Being so tired my wife & I choose to stay the night in the old classic room. That was a mistake! It was bad, really bad! The floor was stained all over the place and my socks turned black. The tub was full of rust and green crap. I don't know what the green stains in the tub was but I took a shower wearing my flip-flops. The windows were warped and had gaps as thick as 2 inches allowing for air to come in. The blinds wouldn't close and the curtains were ripped and wouldn't close either. The bed... Ohh my gosh... Just nasty and hard as a rock. The TV was on a dresser and the dresser was warped from the tube TV sitting on it. There was no plug in the bathroom for my wife to do her hair and on the toilet seat there was duct tape on it where the rubber feet where suppose to be. If you are an average 200+ pound man and try to sit on the toilet then you better turn away from the wall because your not going to fit. The toilet is so close to the wall you'll have no room to do your duty. Very uncomfortable. It was just horrible. Lastly on booking.com website it also stated the rooms had WIFI. Nope only in the lobby.

The Pros:
The lobby was cool looking and the history behind the hotel is interesting.

Conclusion:
If it seems to good to be true it usually is. If you want to over spend and get a updated room in the middle of nowhere, go for it! If you want the whole ghost adventure experience with the stains in the carpet, nasty tub and everything else, then this is the place for you.

If you want a good night sleep. Go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Timothy T,

I would like to sincerely apologize to you for the problems you experienced during your stay. Clearly we "dropped the ball" on several different levels and I am so sorry.

I invite you to please come back soon and allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. I will be happy to put you in one of our newly renovated rooms and personally assist you in any manner that I can.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind Regards,
Tom Rollins

Travelers are raving about these Douglas hotels

Garland, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We found a coupon for this place that made it a good deal - if money is your only criteria. They are under renovation right now and many of the rooms are not yet completed. We requested one of the "already renovated" rooms. The room itself was large enough, the bathroom was so small it was just short of claustrophobic. We have stayed in Grand Old hotels in Cleveland and San Antonio, but this was bad - at this stage of their renovation. The lobby (almost complete) is beautiful! This place was built in 1907; burned in 1927 (except the lobby & elevator). The room: there is NO counter space in the bathroom - just a pedestal sink. The TV was large, though not flat screen and in our room, we could not turn it down. There is also no directory on the TV or printed out. I tried the remote and the buttons on the front. It would go up really, really loud, but would not go down very much. I reported this to the front desk when we checked out and she said we should have called - yeah well, about that - there was no telephone in the room either. There was not a temperature control either - but there was a space heater for warmth - I didn't think this was really a very safe idea. I did not see any A/C either and very few electrical plugs. No coffee in the room. If you decide to go anyway, request a room on the west side. We were on the east side and there are no room darkening window covers and it gets very light pretty quickly in the morning. There is not enough available staff. We checked in on a Sat night and there was one person at the front desk. This is normally no big deal, except that this hotel has a manual elevator (the kind where there actually needs to be an operator to run it) well this is the front desk person's responsibility. So when they are away from the front desk taking someone up in the elevator, no one is on the front desk. From what we saw of the remodel in our room, they seem to be doing more of a cosmetic cover-up and they must have picked up the low bid for the job. We were just really disappointed.

Room Tip: 10 blocks from the Mexican Border. Ask for a room on the west side. No in-room coffeemaker; may nee...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Texas Nana,

Thank you so much for your candid review of the Gadsden. I sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced. This is certainly not the experience we wish to provide to our guests.

I am glad that you did enjoy the lobby and I do understand your comments concerning the bathroom. As a building of historical significance, we have been careful to preserve the historical integrity of the rooms and bathrooms. We have retained the original size of both and worked hard to keep the original 1927 tile and fixtures as much as possible. It is a glimpse into a bygone era.

I invite you to come back and visit us the next time you find yourself in Douglas. Many thanks again for your review.

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!