“Don't be fooled by the beautiful lobby!” 1 of 5 stars

Gadsden Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1046 G Ave., Douglas, AZ 85607   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
wlh50
“Don't be fooled by the beautiful lobby!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband had stayed at the Gadsden as a teenager well over 40 years ago and has wanted to go back for some time. I had planned a 2 night stay in Tombstone but because of his desire I made a reservation at the Gadsden for our second night & hoped not to have a ghostly encounter. Upon checking in we were told we could park in the "secure" parking lot behind the hotel. I'm still not quite sure what made it so secure. My heart sank when I saw the back of the hotel and left me with a sick feeling about what the inside of those rooms must look like. It was interesting taking the manually operator controlled elevator to our floor. I love historic places and things and that was quite a unique experience in this day. However, as soon as the doors opened to the third floor where our room was located, that sick feeling got even stronger. The waiting area in front of the elevator was drab & had old mismatched dirty looking furniture. As we started walking down the long dark & dingy hallway to our room (#331), it was all I could do not to turn around and run out. The tile looks like the original from early in the last century. It was dirty, cracked and chipped in some places and the smell was not pleasant. Unfortunately, my hope of a lovely, clean room being on the other side of the door was dashed. The king sized bed was old, creaky and hard. The bedspread which I immediately removed from the bed, was worn, torn and very old. The sheets were old, thin and mismatched. The mini blinds were bent and didn't close all the way. The drapes were worn and torn as well and one set didn't close all the way over the blinds that didn't close all the way so there was not total privacy on that side. The window that had the a/c unit in it was very drafty and cold air constantly came through. The windows had paint and or putty smeared all over them and the window ledges looked like someone just painted over all the chips and cracks. The refrigerator was dirty and not very cold. (there is a minimum temperature at which cold food should be stored if anyone should need to use the refrigerator) The shower head and the cold water faucet of the sink leaked constantly. The medicine cabinet door did not close without great effort. The toilet was so close to the wall and sink that one had to carefully manuever oneself onto it & it felt claustrophobic to use. The bathtub was stained and had a big black worn area near the drain. The sink handles were mismatched. It just looked and felt so unclean that we decided we would rough it and not shower until we got back to our own home that night. The carpet was a hideous mix of colors and patterns. To escape the room for awhile we went down to the restaurant for dinner. There was a long wait for our server to make it to our table and she was not very friendly. Part of my dish came with mashed potatoes. I can say without a doubt they were the worst I have ever had. To begin with they were instant potatoes but somehow they tasted almost doughy which totally baffled me that instant potatoes could taste & have a texture like that. After 3 bites I gave up on them. My husband had mexican food and his was not so good either. We commented to the server about the problems to which she replied they'd been getting new products in lately. No concern or offer to deduct part of the cost of the meal. We tried to make light of the whole situation and laughed about this "adventure" but decided breakfast the next morning would wait until we got back to Tombstone. Thankfully we had no ghostly encounters. The bed was SO uncomfortable even a sleep aid didn't bring on sleep. After a night of tossing and turning and waking up in pain, the last time was about 3 a.m. We decided we could not take it anymore, packed up, called security & requested the elevator be brought to our floor. The security officer brought it up and was very unfriendly not responding to our smile or "good morning". Getting off at the lobby, I thanked him to which there was no reply. He came and sat back at the front desk while we waited for the clerk to come back from wherever she was. The clerk was nice enough but never even asked how our stay was or if there was a problem. We travel a lot & have stayed at top resort hotels to small independent motels and upon checking out are always asked how our stay was and if everything was to our satisfaction. Maybe at this hotel, they've learned it's best not to ask. I love old and historic places, but I also like to stay in places that are clean, safe & in good repair. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. The proprietor of the small motel in Tombstone had told us that we were more than welcome to stay another night. After seeing our room at the Gadsden we would have gone back and taken him up on his offer if we hadn't been too tired to drive all the way back that night. We paid the same price there for a clean, comfortable room with people that care about their reputation as well as the comfort and safety of their clientele. Take heed Gadsden, that is a valuable asset to have. Sadly, my husbands youthful memory of a grand hotel were replaced with thoughts of it now being what he calls a fleabag which was a bit nicer than my word for it. It was such a disappointment after seeing how beautiful and grand the lobby was. It was very misleading. If the owners/management can't afford or don't want to complete the restoration of the rest of the hotel rooms, they should do travelers a favor and NOT rent them out in the condition they are now. I have to wonder if the fire marshall, building & health inspectors have approved the whole hotel for public use. I will be inquiring to AAA as to why they would give a rating to a place like this.

• Liked — The stained glass windows and lobby were beautiful.
  • Disliked — Everything else! It was just a huge disappointment and felt like a nightmare.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

I wish I had read some reviews before booking my stay here.

First - there is no parking except in the back with no entry from the back...so I was forced to maneuver my luggage down the sidewalk to check in.

The lobby was ghostly, all right. Down right muggy, dingy, and dark. If this didn't bother me, then it was that ride in the elevator that I thought could break down at any time.

Getting to my room - wow was this just terrible. The electrical was from the early days, all outlets were two pronged. The hotel had run extension cords from one outlet to one side of the room to run the small refrigerator. Another one ran to the other side of the room to run the small window a/c unit. The ground prong from the a/c plug was bent back because the extension cord was a two prong plug.

I unpacked and realized there was no hair dryer. I called downstairs and was told how to get to Walmart if I wanted one!

I returned from Walmart, hair dryer and a six pack of bottled water for the frig. I also purchased a three prong adapter so I could run my laptop and another extension cord so I could run my newly purchased hair dryer.

I climbed up in the bed that had a bedspread that had to be at least 20 years old, very thread bear. I went to pull the pillows from the bed so I could prop up and do some work on my laptop while leaning against the headboard. When I moved the pillows, a 3 inch roach crawled out of the cover! I screamed! I called downstairs. The front desk clerk didn't even seem alarmed. She just offered to move me to a different room. I moved across the hall....not like there were any roaches over there!

The first room I was in had a running leak in the bathtub that wouldn't stop. When I got to my "new" room, I saw the same problem, this time it was the cold water faucet in the sink.

The carpet in the rooms were soooooo old, I wouldn't walk on the floors barefoot. I kept my shoes on.

This was not a room for a woman going through menopause! The small window a/c unit ran constantly and I'm betting the room never got cooler than 75 degrees! I sweat all night! And when I plugged in and turned on my hair dryer the next morning, I turned off the a/c...I was afraid I would blow a fuse!!! So now I'm hot for the use of dryer and no a/c running!!!

This was the worst experience I have ever had. I was so looking forward to a "ghostly" experience. I never saw, heard, or witnessed anything to do with ghosts. I was so busy feeling sorry for myself!

I was on a business assignment in Douglas. My travel agent thought it would be a fun experience! I have to travel back to Douglas in December. This time I will book my stay at the Motel 6 down the street!

I will be willing to make a bet. A new Best Western is being built in Douglas. I'm betting that as soon as it is open, this hotel will go out of business. Even if someone wants the "ghostly" fun, they will realize that this hotel is a fire trap with an awful accident waiting to happen. And the Best Western will have all, if not most, of the business from business travelers.

Stayed October 2007
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Having stayed at the hotel twice now, I can say it's one of the nicer places to stay here in Cochise County.

The ambiance of the hotel is reminiscent of the 1940's or 50's. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations, sorely needed, but the hotel has character.

Both times I stayed there, I had ghostly encounters. Once while staying in a room on the third floor and again when staying in the Presidential Suite.

The owners have added jacuzzi rooms to the second floor (first floor of rooms) and the comfort level of the hotel is fantastic. The owners are there to please and have instructed their employees to do the same.

Eat dinner in the dining room and have breakfast in the diner. You'll feel as though you've stepped back in time!

• Liked — The age of the place. Were it to be more modern, I think that would take away from some of its charm
  • Disliked — The hard beds on the third floor.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

I happened into the Gadsen quite by accident. I was in Douglas for a short business trip. I was amazed and delighted by the opulent lobby, which looked it had not changed in 80 years. I booked a room on the mezzanine, and walked up the grand staircase. The room was "original" but not uncomfortable. The bar was similarly something out of the dim past, very intriguing.

The hotel had a fine dining room and a diner. Everything you needed, right there on the premises.

From fine wood, gold columns, chandaliers, marble grand staircase, who could ask for more?

The ghost? Consisted of a long sigh, in my room!! The next day I took the elevator down. The elevator boy, who sereneded on his guitar when not operating the lift, asked me, "did you see the ghost"? I replied, no...i just heard it.

• Liked — very historic and architectural value
  • Disliked — rooms could have been plusher
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

We stayed at this hotel on the 28th of April 2007 and we (me, wife and kids) will never stay again. From the moment we pulled up, we knew there was going to be a problem. Parking for the hotel is street parking, and the curbs are so high, that the passenger could not open the car door to get out. I had to repark the car far enough away from the curb, leaving the car half way into the street! The lobby is beautiful as is the grand marble staircase and the enormous stained glass window.

Upon entering our room, we noticed the public-restroom-style bathroom just to the left, and the headboards of the beds were on the floor behind the beds. Also, the headboard in the room adjacent to ours was banging against the wall, with a male and female having WAY too much fun, if you know what I mean. That's exactly what I wanted my 8 and 12 year olds to hear. The beds weren't any softer than a slab of granite and it was very hot in the room. The air didn't work. We had stuff that required refrigeration, and in order to make the a/c work, you have to unplug the refrigerator. So we suffered through it.

In the bathroom the child-sized toilet is nestled up against the wall and next to the sink, which makes using the toilet a bit of a challenge. The water poured out of the shower head instead of spraying, and the water didn't drain and the faucet ran continuously all night.

We asked the front desk agent why this hotel is so run down and she claimed that they have no funds to bring it into the modern age. Being on the National Historical Register, this makes question the real reason.

Sadly, this hotel was a GREAT disappointment, despite all the good things I've always heard about it, and I DEF don't recommend anyone stay there.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

March 16th-20th

Being aware that the hotel is celebrating 100 years in existance we counted on things being old and we weren't disappointed. From the hand operated elevator to the vintage furnishings in our room and the lovely decor throughout the historic building, it was one pleasing experience after another. The restaurant had a nice menu and the food was delicous. The hotel did not have that old musty odor that we come to expect with aging buildings. The main entrance glistened from the shine of the tile floors, the gold on the columns and the beautiful stain glass windows and ceiling panels. Our stay was enjoyable and the accomodations were excellent and I can't think of any changes I would make. The day trips to Bisbee and Thombstone were fun and taking in the local activities offered that weekend added to our appreciation of the area. We look forward to our next trip to Douglas and our next stay at the Gadsden Hotel.
Linda

Seward, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

A wonderful 'hidden secret' awaited us when we drove into Douglas from the western part of Arizona....a fantastic, historic beautiful hotel reminiscent of a bygone era. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed the quaint elevator and our personal elevator operator (reminded me of when I was a kid in some huge department store). Relaxing in the hotel was very easy to do and enjoyed the cuisine at the hotel restaurant. Our room was cozy and delightful and we appreciated the efforts the hotel has gone thru to make the rooms comfortable. Yes, we hope to stay again at the hotel in the near future when we come down to check on relocating our family near the town of Douglas.

Stayed February 2006

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!