“Amazingly I recommend the Motel 6 down the street instead of this hotel!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gadsden Hotel

You added Gadsden Hotel to your Saves list
Gadsden Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1046 G Ave., Douglas, AZ 85607   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Douglas
Houston
“Amazingly I recommend the Motel 6 down the street instead of this hotel!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

I wish I had read some reviews before booking my stay here.

First - there is no parking except in the back with no entry from the back...so I was forced to maneuver my luggage down the sidewalk to check in.

The lobby was ghostly, all right. Down right muggy, dingy, and dark. If this didn't bother me, then it was that ride in the elevator that I thought could break down at any time.

Getting to my room - wow was this just terrible. The electrical was from the early days, all outlets were two pronged. The hotel had run extension cords from one outlet to one side of the room to run the small refrigerator. Another one ran to the other side of the room to run the small window a/c unit. The ground prong from the a/c plug was bent back because the extension cord was a two prong plug.

I unpacked and realized there was no hair dryer. I called downstairs and was told how to get to Walmart if I wanted one!

I returned from Walmart, hair dryer and a six pack of bottled water for the frig. I also purchased a three prong adapter so I could run my laptop and another extension cord so I could run my newly purchased hair dryer.

I climbed up in the bed that had a bedspread that had to be at least 20 years old, very thread bear. I went to pull the pillows from the bed so I could prop up and do some work on my laptop while leaning against the headboard. When I moved the pillows, a 3 inch roach crawled out of the cover! I screamed! I called downstairs. The front desk clerk didn't even seem alarmed. She just offered to move me to a different room. I moved across the hall....not like there were any roaches over there!

The first room I was in had a running leak in the bathtub that wouldn't stop. When I got to my "new" room, I saw the same problem, this time it was the cold water faucet in the sink.

The carpet in the rooms were soooooo old, I wouldn't walk on the floors barefoot. I kept my shoes on.

This was not a room for a woman going through menopause! The small window a/c unit ran constantly and I'm betting the room never got cooler than 75 degrees! I sweat all night! And when I plugged in and turned on my hair dryer the next morning, I turned off the a/c...I was afraid I would blow a fuse!!! So now I'm hot for the use of dryer and no a/c running!!!

This was the worst experience I have ever had. I was so looking forward to a "ghostly" experience. I never saw, heard, or witnessed anything to do with ghosts. I was so busy feeling sorry for myself!

I was on a business assignment in Douglas. My travel agent thought it would be a fun experience! I have to travel back to Douglas in December. This time I will book my stay at the Motel 6 down the street!

I will be willing to make a bet. A new Best Western is being built in Douglas. I'm betting that as soon as it is open, this hotel will go out of business. Even if someone wants the "ghostly" fun, they will realize that this hotel is a fire trap with an awful accident waiting to happen. And the Best Western will have all, if not most, of the business from business travelers.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Having stayed at the hotel twice now, I can say it's one of the nicer places to stay here in Cochise County.

The ambiance of the hotel is reminiscent of the 1940's or 50's. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations, sorely needed, but the hotel has character.

Both times I stayed there, I had ghostly encounters. Once while staying in a room on the third floor and again when staying in the Presidential Suite.

The owners have added jacuzzi rooms to the second floor (first floor of rooms) and the comfort level of the hotel is fantastic. The owners are there to please and have instructed their employees to do the same.

Eat dinner in the dining room and have breakfast in the diner. You'll feel as though you've stepped back in time!

• Liked — The age of the place. Were it to be more modern, I think that would take away from some of its charm
  • Disliked — The hard beds on the third floor.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

I happened into the Gadsen quite by accident. I was in Douglas for a short business trip. I was amazed and delighted by the opulent lobby, which looked it had not changed in 80 years. I booked a room on the mezzanine, and walked up the grand staircase. The room was "original" but not uncomfortable. The bar was similarly something out of the dim past, very intriguing.

The hotel had a fine dining room and a diner. Everything you needed, right there on the premises.

From fine wood, gold columns, chandaliers, marble grand staircase, who could ask for more?

The ghost? Consisted of a long sigh, in my room!! The next day I took the elevator down. The elevator boy, who sereneded on his guitar when not operating the lift, asked me, "did you see the ghost"? I replied, no...i just heard it.

• Liked — very historic and architectural value
  • Disliked — rooms could have been plusher
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

We stayed at this hotel on the 28th of April 2007 and we (me, wife and kids) will never stay again. From the moment we pulled up, we knew there was going to be a problem. Parking for the hotel is street parking, and the curbs are so high, that the passenger could not open the car door to get out. I had to repark the car far enough away from the curb, leaving the car half way into the street! The lobby is beautiful as is the grand marble staircase and the enormous stained glass window.

Upon entering our room, we noticed the public-restroom-style bathroom just to the left, and the headboards of the beds were on the floor behind the beds. Also, the headboard in the room adjacent to ours was banging against the wall, with a male and female having WAY too much fun, if you know what I mean. That's exactly what I wanted my 8 and 12 year olds to hear. The beds weren't any softer than a slab of granite and it was very hot in the room. The air didn't work. We had stuff that required refrigeration, and in order to make the a/c work, you have to unplug the refrigerator. So we suffered through it.

In the bathroom the child-sized toilet is nestled up against the wall and next to the sink, which makes using the toilet a bit of a challenge. The water poured out of the shower head instead of spraying, and the water didn't drain and the faucet ran continuously all night.

We asked the front desk agent why this hotel is so run down and she claimed that they have no funds to bring it into the modern age. Being on the National Historical Register, this makes question the real reason.

Sadly, this hotel was a GREAT disappointment, despite all the good things I've always heard about it, and I DEF don't recommend anyone stay there.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

March 16th-20th

Being aware that the hotel is celebrating 100 years in existance we counted on things being old and we weren't disappointed. From the hand operated elevator to the vintage furnishings in our room and the lovely decor throughout the historic building, it was one pleasing experience after another. The restaurant had a nice menu and the food was delicous. The hotel did not have that old musty odor that we come to expect with aging buildings. The main entrance glistened from the shine of the tile floors, the gold on the columns and the beautiful stain glass windows and ceiling panels. Our stay was enjoyable and the accomodations were excellent and I can't think of any changes I would make. The day trips to Bisbee and Thombstone were fun and taking in the local activities offered that weekend added to our appreciation of the area. We look forward to our next trip to Douglas and our next stay at the Gadsden Hotel.
Linda

Seward, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

A wonderful 'hidden secret' awaited us when we drove into Douglas from the western part of Arizona....a fantastic, historic beautiful hotel reminiscent of a bygone era. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed the quaint elevator and our personal elevator operator (reminded me of when I was a kid in some huge department store). Relaxing in the hotel was very easy to do and enjoyed the cuisine at the hotel restaurant. Our room was cozy and delightful and we appreciated the efforts the hotel has gone thru to make the rooms comfortable. Yes, we hope to stay again at the hotel in the near future when we come down to check on relocating our family near the town of Douglas.

Stayed February 2006
missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2007

I thought I checked the reviews before I made the reservations. One review just loved it, the other said to head to Motel 6. I do not like Motel 6, so I opted for the rustic charm of the Gadsden. What a mistake. We were scheduled for 2 nights, but after the first night, we headed to Motel 6. I never thought I'd be relieved to step inside a motel 6, but I sure was. When we pulled up to the Gadsden, we weren't even sure where to park. There was construction in the front so we entered the side. We had to crawl over cables after parking our rental out on the back 40. Next, we took the stairs to our room because the elevators "quit". After starting to open the door with the antique key we had, we realized we didn't need it because the doors didn't lock, unless you were inside the room. Much to my dismay when I looked over the room, I was terribly disappointed. I think the linens were the originals used in the 50's. They were so thin you could see the "ticking" on the mattress. We won't even talk about the mattresses. The furniture - ughhhhhh!! The bathroom - even worse. The rust and dirt was terrible. After trying to settle in, we had a corner room with windows on two walls. You could feel the cold air coming in from the outside. The old radiator heater in the room couldn't keep up. We froze our backsides off!!!! I insisted we stay here, so boy did I hear it from my husband. The best part of the stay was laughing so hard because it was the worst motel I've ever stayed in. I travel and stay in hotels approx. 100 nights/yr. I have to admit the lobby is a must see. It's beautiful. So, look at the lobby and head to the motel 6. I wish I would have had more reviews to look at before I booked this one.

• Liked — The hotel hobby was beautiful
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Gadsden Hotel? Share your experiences!