I wish I had read some reviews before booking my stay here.
First - there is no parking except in the back with no entry from the back...so I was forced to maneuver my luggage down the sidewalk to check in.
The lobby was ghostly, all right. Down right muggy, dingy, and dark. If this didn't bother me, then it was that ride in the elevator that I thought could break down at any time.
Getting to my room - wow was this just terrible. The electrical was from the early days, all outlets were two pronged. The hotel had run extension cords from one outlet to one side of the room to run the small refrigerator. Another one ran to the other side of the room to run the small window a/c unit. The ground prong from the a/c plug was bent back because the extension cord was a two prong plug.
I unpacked and realized there was no hair dryer. I called downstairs and was told how to get to Walmart if I wanted one!
I returned from Walmart, hair dryer and a six pack of bottled water for the frig. I also purchased a three prong adapter so I could run my laptop and another extension cord so I could run my newly purchased hair dryer.
I climbed up in the bed that had a bedspread that had to be at least 20 years old, very thread bear. I went to pull the pillows from the bed so I could prop up and do some work on my laptop while leaning against the headboard. When I moved the pillows, a 3 inch roach crawled out of the cover! I screamed! I called downstairs. The front desk clerk didn't even seem alarmed. She just offered to move me to a different room. I moved across the hall....not like there were any roaches over there!
The first room I was in had a running leak in the bathtub that wouldn't stop. When I got to my "new" room, I saw the same problem, this time it was the cold water faucet in the sink.
The carpet in the rooms were soooooo old, I wouldn't walk on the floors barefoot. I kept my shoes on.
This was not a room for a woman going through menopause! The small window a/c unit ran constantly and I'm betting the room never got cooler than 75 degrees! I sweat all night! And when I plugged in and turned on my hair dryer the next morning, I turned off the a/c...I was afraid I would blow a fuse!!! So now I'm hot for the use of dryer and no a/c running!!!
This was the worst experience I have ever had. I was so looking forward to a "ghostly" experience. I never saw, heard, or witnessed anything to do with ghosts. I was so busy feeling sorry for myself!
I was on a business assignment in Douglas. My travel agent thought it would be a fun experience! I have to travel back to Douglas in December. This time I will book my stay at the Motel 6 down the street!
I will be willing to make a bet. A new Best Western is being built in Douglas. I'm betting that as soon as it is open, this hotel will go out of business. Even if someone wants the "ghostly" fun, they will realize that this hotel is a fire trap with an awful accident waiting to happen. And the Best Western will have all, if not most, of the business from business travelers.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gadsden Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gadsden Hotel Douglas