“New location, food great but atmosphere & service average” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Arizona
“New location, food great but atmosphere & service average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

First of all, TripAdvisor, can you please let people know that the Jerome location is CLOSED?? This is an area destination restaurant for tourists, hyped by AZ Hwys mag, just unfair to your users. If I hadn't driven past the new location on the way to the old location (25 minutes away), I would have been very pissed at TripAdvisor. Come on guys, it moved a couple of months ago at least.

Still fabulous chile rellenos, the dish I love the most and am most critical of in restaurants.

I was in the small pre-lunch crowd today, very friendly servers but just not good service (e.g. I asked for another drink & got the check.). Internet couldn't be accessed as despite staff's insistence, a password for guest access was required and they couldn't find a proper password for me before I finished my stay. That's lame.

So disappointed in the decor at the new location. Definitely agree with a previous reviewer who called it "Denny's gone Mexican." What happened to the great exterior sign and the interior panache and funk?

The food is definitely not "pseudo-New Mexican" and definitely not drowned in Hatch chiles as some have claimed. Did they actually eat there? Well presented, light tasting, extremely favorable, not at all your usual mex food. I'll be back for the food. Servers really didn't detract from quality of food as they were very nice if not competent.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

sedona arizona
“not as good as hyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

They recently moved from Jerome and I think their food has suffered. The elk tacos were dry the last time, but on Thursday, they have half price margs that are great. It's usually very crowded, but service is good. Better than your average mexican food place

Visited August 2013
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

A huge undertaking to move from the cracker box in Jerome to the very large venue in Cottonwood. One would expect a lot of problems in the transition. We were there opening day and several times since and have been amazed at how smooth things have gone considering the size of the job. We have never had a bad meal and Vlad Costa has been very gracious to us every visit. We have the impression that Vlad has very high expectations. That is good for the customer but may be difficult for some "former" employes to accept. We saw Vlad interacting with staff and were impressed with how calm he was even on the pressure packed opening day at the new location. The food is flavorful with generous portions. We are especially pleased that at the new place we can get a table right away. When they were in Jerome it was always a disappointment to make the trek up the mountain only to find the placed packed with a long waiting list. In short, good food, prompt service, pleasant people and nice decor.

Visited July 2013
Central Arizona, Arizona
“Great jalapeño burger.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Worth a visit, I'm a return customer for sure! The food is great and the atmosphere is good. Fairly priced. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sedona, Arizona
“Much better than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I heard some bad things about this restaurant after it moved to Cottonwood, so I waited a while until I ate there. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with my meal. The place was packed on a Wednesday night. My burro, and my friend's blue corn enchiladas, were great. The green sauce had a bit of a bite and was very good. Even the chips were good. The service was excellent despite the busy night. The prices were very reasonable.

• Visited July 2013