“Only Restaurant in town and it was OK” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Congress
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Reservations
Description: Restaurant located on Highway 71 in Congress AZ. Inside and patio dining. Full Bar. Breakfast Lunch & Dinner.Breakfast items include: Eggs Benedict Traditional, Crab Cakes, Smoked Salmon, Shrimp & Avocado. Breakfast Quesadillas and Burritos plus regular fare. Lunch & Dinner includes steamed mussels, fried oysters, rack of lamb, boulle bases, pastas, steaks, burgers, quesadillas and much more. Salads : Beet & Avacado, Caesear, Winter Salad, hearts of Romaine.
“Only Restaurant in town and it was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Here visiting family and they wanted to take us out to eat. Other than a sandwich shop it's the only place in town to eat. I was told it was remodel not too long ago and it looks very nice inside. Being the only restaurant it was quite busy. We walked in not knowing whether to seat ourselves or wait to be seated as no one greeted us for a good 5 minutes. Finally, we stopped someone and she mubbled something as she went by that half of us thought said, "Wait I'll seat you" and the other half thought she said, "Seat yourself." So, we continued to stand at the door. Finally we were seated.

The light was so scarce where we were seated I had to lend my phone on flashlight mode so my 90 year old Great Aunt could read the menu. We were all having difficulty. She kept asking "Why does it need to be so dark in here to eat dinner?" I kind of wondered that myself.

The man and woman that worked with us have a British accent and though not mean weren't very cordial either. They kind of made us feel... sit, order, eat, now leave.

It took a long time to get our order taken. Took an even longer time to get our food. The food was decently cooked food. Beautifully presented, but nothing special. Something I could make at home everyday. I had the blackend salmon and it was tasty, but dry. I also got the roasted potatoes and vegetables, which were very bland. My daughter's Caesars salad was dripping in dressing that wasn't too Caesar like, but was tasty. Again nothing special.

1 1/2 hours later we paid our bill and left. We were just glad to go home by then.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Wickenburg, Arizona
“Trying to make a "Silk Purse" out of a "Sow's Ear"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I live in nearby Wickenburg, Arizona. When I first visited Nichol's West, I was quite surprised to find a restaurant serving good quality food in such a small place out in the middle of the desert. I was favorably impressed and I recommended to friends that they should try this place. I get quite a few out of State visitors. I always took them to Nichols West. On one occasion, I had a friend visit me and I decided to take him to Lunch at Nichols West. It was during the very hot season in Arizona. The temperature was 110 degrees F. that day. I wore a knit shirt with short sleeves about one inch just off the shoulder, which actually does not qualify as a "Tank Top" shirt, which has no sleeves at all. My and my friend walked in and
the owner promptly came to me and said "don't you have a shirt?". I told him that I was wearing a shirt. He said "We don't serve anyone wearing "Tank Tops". I replied that this
shirt was not a "Tank Top" at all, and it was 110 degrees F., and everyone knows that
Arizona is very casual in dress, especially in the summer. There was an old "Desert Rat" sitting there eating, wearing a dirty Tee Shirt and a pair of overalls. I immediately left the restaraunt, but not before saying "If you want to give this place a touch of class, at least bring the restrooms inside". They also need to control the flies inside the restaurant. After leaving, I went to another restaraunt which happens to be the classiest place in Wickenburt, and was served without question. Needless to say, I will never patronize Nichols West again.

Visited August 2011
Wickenburg, Arizona
“Who'd have guess?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

It's hard to believe that this little crossroads has such a high quality restaurant until you read the "credits" from diners on the wall as you enter. Of course, the comments are from the diners from their other restaurant in the Hamptons called ...you guessed it Nichols East. They don't however own that one since they moved to Congress and opened this little one. In the winter you need a reservation as it is packed all season and it is a very small place. The menu is rather small but well planned with high quality and variety as the mainstays. I love Salmon and nowhere in this area have I been able to find it prepared properly... except here. They offer Blackened, grilled, or poached and any choice is a good one. The caesar salad is also very good. The steaks are good but I have better elsewhere but their pasta and dinner salad entrees and dinner omelet are wonderful. BUT their piece de resistance is their desserts... all homemade. If you love chocolate you MUST have the brownie in a bag... or if you need to share try the ice cream sandwich trio, I guarantee you will NOT share... of course there are other yummies but you have to try this place.. I;m drooling writing this. Try this place, you like it!!!

Visited April 2012
Eastsound, Washington
“Decent Food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Went in April and met family there. Good vibes, lots of locals of all types. Place was clean and service was good. Although when a member of the party asked what type of crab was in the crab cakes she answered "Crab" with a lost look. He then chuckled and mentioned there are lots of different types of crab so she went and asked the owner who i heard say" it doesnt really matter, tell them asain crab". Pretty funny I thought as i grew up/live in the northwest and there is a huge difference in taste. Anyway, the crab cakes were good, not excellent. The Food in general was very good, just not as good as we expected. All in all it was a great find in congress and we would definetly go again next time we visit grandma...

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Klamath Falls, Oregon
“Did we go to the wrong restaurant?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

After three rave reviews about the wonders of the food at Nicols West, we traveled down the highway only to find some of the worst food we have ever had! My spouse's Cuban sandwich was made with pork loin, not seasoned, and lunch meat quality ham. There were no spices added and was totally bland and tasteless. He further questioned the freshness of the meat used. I lunched on a tomatoe avacado and mozarella sandwich. Perhaps I selec ted the wrong bread type but my french roll was store bought burned and greasy. The cheese was good but again there was no flavor to the sandwich. There were an abundance of french fries. The meal was a total disappointment and we will never be back.

• Visited March 2012