“Really Good Pizza, but you'll pay for it.” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Pizza
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Really Good Pizza, but you'll pay for it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a Grimaldi's pizza at a kids party once and it was clearly a cut above. I was quick to ask where it came from. It tasted like the New York Pizza that is so hard to find in Arizona. We went as a family, and I was surprised by the upscale environment. White tablecloths adorn the tables, wine glasses are pre placed, and the staff is very well trained. I felt like I was at Flemming's. Now this particular store is placed in a very high end mall, so the Grimaldi's in other areas may not all be like this, but this is the only one I've been to. It's location could have been the reason it was so upscale.

We were having a very nice time, enjoying all the high quality service, the food was great, really amazing, and we thought we found heaven! Until the bill came. I could not believe how expensive it was for a family of 4 to have pizza and salad! We also noticed that they charged us double for our toppings. We ordered pepperoni and Black Olive on half, and Sausage and onion on the other. THEY CHARGED US FOR 4 TOPPINGS! I was sure it was an oversight, so I mentioned it to the staff, and I was told that is what they do.

All of the fun left the evening. That is nuts! We order that same pizza all the time, for years! No one has ever charged us double! A $16 pizza became a $23 pizza! That is just wrong. I asked for the manager, surely they would correct this horror, but no. I was told that is a company policy. If I was told of this at the time I placed my order, I would have changed the order. That is just nuts. But I guess that is how they pay for all the perks.

The minute I got home, I went to the website and wrote a comment complaint, also filled out a comment card at the store. It's been months now, and I heard nothing back. But I have been told that now it's written on the menu clearly. So at least now they warn of their injustice.

I don't plan on returning unless it's a special occasion that I have no control over, or unless I have one of their free birthday coupons. If you like spending a fortune on pizza, be my guest...but if you don't just go to Red Devil in Phoenix or Tempe instead. The pizza is just as good, family owned, comfortable and service, plus the price is right. If you need all the perks to make you feel like a price or princess, go to Grimaldi's and pay more.

Happy eating!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Maricopa, Arizona
“The Best Way To Order A Hot Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

On March 14, 2013 we decided to have revisit this location of Grimaldi's for dinner. Our party of three arrived just before 6PM. During past visits when your order is taken, it's precessed right away. Meaning you could be enjoying your salad and then everything else arrives–getting cooled off in the process. I tried to request stagging the order but it usually never seems to work–read my past reviews.

Here's the best process to obtain a great hot meal. I first ordered the large house salad @ $9.00 with no extras. When the salad arrived, I then ordered a large pizza @ $16 with pepperoni @ $2 and Basil @ $2. When that arrived, I ordered a large Calzone @ $18 with pepperoni @ $2. All of the hot items arrived HOT and were great! Ok, if you do not want to follow this method, you risk all of the hot items arriving at the same time. Pizza on a cold metal serving tray does transfer its heat to that metal tray BUT not your mouth. Cooled off pizza has a different taste to us.

Additionally one glass of wine @$8 and two diet pepsi @ $2.50 each were ordered. Soft drink refills arrived without hunting down our waitress. Her name is Manderz who did a great job! Our total bill for the above was $67.64 with tax + a $15 cash tip for great service. Our left over servings of the Calzone were boxed with containers of sauce. This freezes great and will be enjoyed latter in the week.

I've read some reviews that stated the above costs were expensive. When we are served a great meal with every hot item served HOT, we feel it's not expensive at all. COLD PIZZA is expensive as it falls short of what most dinners want.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chandler, Arizona
“My favorite pizza place in this area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Grimaldi's uses fresh ingredients and I love the crust! It's the closest thing to pizza from Napoli on this side of the world! Try it!

Visited February 2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great pizza and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Pizza is truly one of a kind, and you can't beat the flavor and texture that comes from the coal oven. Service was great and we never had to ask for beverage refills. Prices are bit high for pizza, but it is well worth the extra dough for the best dough around!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Maricopa, Arizona
“They Screwed Up Our Order!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

WTF! As I stated in my pervious reviews, I order our items staggered so that they arrive HOT. For this visit, I ordered one small house salad, then one large pizza with extra Basil, another with Pepperoni/sauage and a large Calzone with pepperoni. I wanted them to arrive in that order. First the salad arrived and it was great. Then the first pizza arrived with the calzone arriving slightly after. The basil pizza then arrived when we were ready for it BUT it was COLD on a warm serving tray.

They cooked everything at once and kept it warm–not what I ordered or wanted! The Basil pizza was sent back for a new replacement-they had the gaul to ask if I wanted it reheated! No, I want it as I ordered it--cooked fresh and served out of the oven while not in a holding pattern being kept warm and ruined!.

Therefore for our next visit, I will order the salad, Upon its arrival, will order the first pizza. When that arrives, the second pizza will be ordered. Then order the Calzone when the last pizza arrives. We like our pizza cooked to order and NOT kept warm until we are ready for it.

If you like my review--how about hitting the like button?

• Visited December 2012