“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kai Restaurant

Kai Restaurant
5594 W Wild Horse Pass Blvd, Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort, Chandler, AZ 85070-4000
(602) 225-0100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kai Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 537 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: I-10 and Wild Horse Pass Blvd
Description: Recipient of the Coveted AAA Five Diamond Award and Forbes Five-Star Award, KAI, meaning 'seed' in the Pima language, features a menu rich in creativity, history and Native American culture. Executive Chef Conor Favre and Chef de Cuisine Joshua Johnson incorporate the essence of the Pima and Maricopa tribes and locally farmed ingredients from the Gila River Indian Community to create unforgettable masterpieces. James Beard Award-winning Chef Janos Wilder is consulting chef for KAI and is renowned for creating unique and indigenous menu experiences. Open for dinner Tuesday - Saturday, reservations are strongly recommended. KAI maintains a smart business casual dress code. It prohibits hats, T-shirts, and shorts for both ladies and gentlemen, including open-toed sandals for men. Dress hats for ladies are acceptable. Denim is not preferred. As a courtesy to other diners, please refrain from using cell phones or laptops in the dining room.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The best restaurant in Phoenix. The staff is just amazing, the food really creative and delicious and really nice environment. Terrific service and very creative menu items

• Visited June 2013

Phoenix
“I concur!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I must agree that this is an amazing dining experience. Everything flawless and delicious. The meal ended with a hand written thank you note in our valeted car which was waiting, ready for us as we left the resort. FIRST CLASS!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“5 star food and service on the Reservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We thought this place was outstanding a few years ago, but the innovative cuisine and fantastic service is now at the five star level---well worth the drive from Phoenix or Scottsdale. We had tickets for a concert that evening a shuttle bus ride away from the restaurant, had a relaxed luxurious meal over a couple of hours and they still had us there with time to spare. The menu accommodates carnivores, vegetarians, special diets, etc. Many of the dishes showcase their Native American roots. The seafood and meats include more exotic ones such as pheasant, buffalo, elk, etc. It was a wonderful evening, and will bring us back much more often than we have made it in the past. A great place for a special occasion, a romantic evening, or to make a great impression!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“We felt so special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I decifded to celebrate at Kai, since we were staying at the resort. I had eaten there before, and knew it was great, and would be perfect to share with my husband on our 19th wedding anniversary.

The waitstaff is super professional, choreographed almost, and rvrything they did was perfect,
The atmosphere is elegant and intimate, with a beautiful mountain range for a backdrop through its large windows, and a sunset if you are there at the right time.
The food is what you would expect at a five star, but the dishes offered are unique in that they are based on the cusine of the native PIMA culture, so you probably will not get this at anywhere else.
I had the Halibut cheeks, beautifully prepared and my husband had the duck, which I preferred to my halibut.
For the main course my husband had the lobster, shrimp and scallop dish. This was cloaked in a cauliflower butter sauce, that I could see myself drinking straight out of the serving container, and by the gallons.
I had the tenderloin of Buffalo, that I could NOT stop thinking about for days. Easily one of the top pieces of meat I have ever eaten. Tender, perfectly medium rare, I could have cut this with a fork. Is it possible to have a crush on a steak? I dont know if I will be able to eat any filet mignon and be truly happy ever again.
But what made this very special: after our meal was cleared, they brought us a little medly of sweetness: hazelnut mouse and chocolate cake, with a thin chocolate wafer that said Happy Anniversary on it. AND upon return to our room, we found that they had slipped an envelope under the door: in it was a card, a picture of native art, that had been signed by the entire restaurant staff.
We won't ever forget it.

Jackson, Wyoming
“Outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is the epitome of a five star restaurant in every possible way. From the time I made the reservation welcoming us back and having a note in our profile about food allergies, to our departure where the valet had already brought out our car with a note inside from our waiter along with chocolates and bottled water - everything about this is totally first class.

The menu uses a lot of ingredients grown on the Gila and Maricopa reservations, making the dishes extremely creative and delicious. Nothing weird about these concoctions - it is all wonderful. The menu offers a la carte offerings or tasting menus of 5 or 8 courses and with or without wine pairings. And the service is like nothing we have experienced at any other restaurant - anywhere. No matter how many people are seated at your table, each course is delivered in a synchronized manner by a waiter delivering to each person. It is almost like a drill team performance it is so precise. And the wine list is outstanding. We tried different wines by the glass that we had not had before and both were remarkable.

There really are just not enough superlatives in the English language for this restaurant. You must try it and experience a unique, delicious and educational dining experience. As an added bonus, the tables offer an incredible view of the desert sunset over the mountains. All of these are more are reasons this restaurant consistently is rated the #1 restaurant in the Phoenix metro area - and should be rated #1 in the country as well.