“We felt so special” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kai Restaurant

Kai Restaurant
5594 W Wild Horse Pass Blvd, Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort, Chandler, AZ 85070-4000
(602) 225-0100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kai Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 520 restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: I-10 and Wild Horse Pass Blvd
Description: Recipient of the Coveted AAA Five Diamond Award and Forbes Five-Star Award, KAI, meaning 'seed' in the Pima language, features a menu rich in creativity, history and Native American culture. Executive Chef Conor Favre and Chef de Cuisine Joshua Johnson incorporate the essence of the Pima and Maricopa tribes and locally farmed ingredients from the Gila River Indian Community to create unforgettable masterpieces. James Beard Award-winning Chef Janos Wilder is consulting chef for KAI and is renowned for creating unique and indigenous menu experiences. Open for dinner Tuesday - Saturday, reservations are strongly recommended. KAI maintains a smart business casual dress code. It prohibits hats, T-shirts, and shorts for both ladies and gentlemen, including open-toed sandals for men. Dress hats for ladies are acceptable. Denim is not preferred. As a courtesy to other diners, please refrain from using cell phones or laptops in the dining room.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“We felt so special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I decifded to celebrate at Kai, since we were staying at the resort. I had eaten there before, and knew it was great, and would be perfect to share with my husband on our 19th wedding anniversary.

The waitstaff is super professional, choreographed almost, and rvrything they did was perfect,
The atmosphere is elegant and intimate, with a beautiful mountain range for a backdrop through its large windows, and a sunset if you are there at the right time.
The food is what you would expect at a five star, but the dishes offered are unique in that they are based on the cusine of the native PIMA culture, so you probably will not get this at anywhere else.
I had the Halibut cheeks, beautifully prepared and my husband had the duck, which I preferred to my halibut.
For the main course my husband had the lobster, shrimp and scallop dish. This was cloaked in a cauliflower butter sauce, that I could see myself drinking straight out of the serving container, and by the gallons.
I had the tenderloin of Buffalo, that I could NOT stop thinking about for days. Easily one of the top pieces of meat I have ever eaten. Tender, perfectly medium rare, I could have cut this with a fork. Is it possible to have a crush on a steak? I dont know if I will be able to eat any filet mignon and be truly happy ever again.
But what made this very special: after our meal was cleared, they brought us a little medly of sweetness: hazelnut mouse and chocolate cake, with a thin chocolate wafer that said Happy Anniversary on it. AND upon return to our room, we found that they had slipped an envelope under the door: in it was a card, a picture of native art, that had been signed by the entire restaurant staff.
We won't ever forget it.

95% Recommend
Jackson, Wyoming
“Outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is the epitome of a five star restaurant in every possible way. From the time I made the reservation welcoming us back and having a note in our profile about food allergies, to our departure where the valet had already brought out our car with a note inside from our waiter along with chocolates and bottled water - everything about this is totally first class.

The menu uses a lot of ingredients grown on the Gila and Maricopa reservations, making the dishes extremely creative and delicious. Nothing weird about these concoctions - it is all wonderful. The menu offers a la carte offerings or tasting menus of 5 or 8 courses and with or without wine pairings. And the service is like nothing we have experienced at any other restaurant - anywhere. No matter how many people are seated at your table, each course is delivered in a synchronized manner by a waiter delivering to each person. It is almost like a drill team performance it is so precise. And the wine list is outstanding. We tried different wines by the glass that we had not had before and both were remarkable.

There really are just not enough superlatives in the English language for this restaurant. You must try it and experience a unique, delicious and educational dining experience. As an added bonus, the tables offer an incredible view of the desert sunset over the mountains. All of these are more are reasons this restaurant consistently is rated the #1 restaurant in the Phoenix metro area - and should be rated #1 in the country as well.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“A totally different experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort for a golf school we were attending. I was looking at trip advisor and noticed that their was a excellent restaurant at the Hotel. When coming back after golfing we asked if their was any opening and they stated they were full but they would take our cell number and call us if anything opened up later. We went back after a hour and was told we could get in around 8:30.
I was in Boston this year and went to a French menu tasting restaurant and was interested on how it compared. This was much more interesting and every dinner course was perfect.
This place is ivery unique in the type of foods and how they are prepared. The food was excellent and the experience was also. Because it is on a Native Indian reservation and the hotel is owned also by the Native Indians restaurant focuses around native foods and their culture. It is a wonderful experience and something you will not find any place in the United States.
My son had the Buffalo tenderloin and was wanting to go back the next night because of how good it is .
You can order two ways, one is ordering from three different sections on the menu and the other is a short or long tasting menu.
I found the prices very reasonable for the wonderful dining experience..

“A dinner to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Kai last Saturday after we learned that is the only 5 star diamond restaurant in Arizona. The place had a very romantics and scenic setting with views of South and Estrella mountains between which the sun set giving the sky and surroundings a golden orange tinge. The service was impeccable from the valet guys to the entire dinner staff, and the food was most delicious consistent with their concept of "global fusion," which meant every dish had Native American, Southwestern and French flavors. It is perfect for celebrating special occasions with loved ones, and special guests and friends. What a wonderful dining experience.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Michelin should visit to Arizona and grant it at least 2 stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Wow! Chef Joshua Johnson is all that the Napa Valley wannabes wish they could ever be and much more!!!

The first quality that sets him apart is that he is not pretending to be French! He understands that he is sitting in an Indian Reservation in the southwest and transmits exactly that to every piece and bit of flavor on each of his dishes.

Every bite will bring back memories and set your brain on fire!!! Deserves at least 2 Michelin stars! The service is impeccable and the wine pairing excellent!!

I travel the world in search of restaurants and this is not only one of the best in the USA, I would say one of the best in the world! Pay a visit, you will not regret it!!!