You added Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Phoenix Chandler to your Saves list
Summer Sale Save 25%
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Chandler
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I really wanted to give this hotel higher ratings because the staff were friendly, helpful and accomodating. However, the overall cleanliness of the room itself detracted from the excellent service we received.

Front Desk/Check-in:
Prior to check-in I had to contact the front desk to see about making a change to my reservation. The agent I spoke with was friendly and went out of his way to help me. I received the same friendly service upon check-in. Whenever we had a question, needed directions, etc... the front desk staff provided the information we needed.

Suite/Room:
We had a two-room suite, which definately needs to be updated (new carpet and new tile would help). The two bedrooms were separated by a living room/kitchen area. Each bedroom had a queen sized bed, a couple end tables, a set of drawers, a TV and a small closet. The kitchen area had a large fridge, stove, microwave and counter area. Utensils, plates and cookware were provided. The living room had a small couch and chair, a TV, desk, and coffee table. I liked the layout of the suite, but I was very disappointed in the overall cleanliness. It was obvious the kitchen counter had not been wiped well. There was some food stuck to the counter by the cooktop which was left by previous guests. The tile looked like it needed a good, thorough mopping. The carpets had been vacuumed, but if you looked around the edges you could see dirt and debris. Bed linens appeared to be clean, we had no issues there. The beds weren't particularly comfortable. The mattress sagged a bit in the middle. My 10 year old slept on the sofa couch. The first night we pulled the sofa bed out for him to sleep on, but it was too uncomfortable (lumpy and he complained about feeling the support bar through the mattress), so each night after I just put the sheets and blanket over the couch cushions, which he said was much more comfortable.

Bathroom:
The bathroom had plenty of space to move around. It needs to be updated with new tile (the tile is a really dark color) and the bathtub/shower area could use a remodel, too. Soap, shampoo, lotion and a hair dryer were provided. Our first day there we had to throw a couple towels on the floor before using them. We couldn't tell if they were dirty, or just stained from use. We didn't have a problem with the towels provided after that. Again, cleanliness was a factor. The tile floor needs to be scrubbed, the bathtub/shower unit needs a heavy-duty cleaning. It just didn't feel really clean. I've been in worse hotels, but I've been in much better, too.

Pool/Fitness Area:
The pool area was clean. The water warm and there's a hottub to relax in. The children had a great time playing in the water. My only complaint is there were no towels provided in the pool area. We had to grab a few towels from the fitness room. The fitness room is small, but adequate. It contains a treadmill, elliptical machine and a bike. There is a TV to watch while you workout.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was what you typically get from a hotel continental breakfast: Scrambled eggs, french toast, pancakes, potatoes, cereal coffee, yogurt, juices, etc...

Overall, the hotel is an ok place to stay if you're trying to save some money and can get over the cleanliness of the rooms. The staff were friendly and the room layout was nice. Pool area was fun for the children. Would I stay there again??? Good question. Probably not based upon the cleanliness factor. I think I'd spend more to stay at a hotel down the street. If the rooms had been cleaner I'd have no issue saying I'd stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Goodyear, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I started my stay on Saturday and checked out Sunday. I was checked in by a girl that you could tell she had know no idea what she was talking about. I would ask her ask her questions about the hotel and she had no idea about anything. I checked in the room and its ok for the price the red tile is a little outdated and the lighting is a little dark. The next morning we had breakfast and then we went to check out and the same girl was there we told her the rooms are dark and she gave us a rude look as if I did something wrong. I didnt get her name but I wish I did because when I got home I checked my bank account and found out that $267 was charged to my card just for staying 1 NIGHT when the room was $67. I called right away and talked to a man who told me the extra $200 is just a authorization and it will fall off in a few days. I asked him what in there is worth charging my card $200? He told me everything. I asked him why she didnt tell me at checkin he said there may have been miscommunication and that he is sorry about the inconvenience and asked if there is anything he can do to help me. And I told him I have stayed at very nice hotels and have never been been charged that much. I also told him I will no longer be staying at that hotel and do not understand why anyone would then hung up. My husband and I just wanted to get away for the night and could not believe all the trouble we had. Do not stay here if you live on a budget the $200 is crazy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
akron oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

The best place for the money I have stayed at. The room was nice, clean, came with a full ref, micro, and stove, 2 tvs, one in the bedroom and one in the LR. The pool temp was perfect and very clean, the staff was efficient and accomodating. There is a cont breakfast that was different everyday, serving hot meals on down to cereal. It was close to restauarants, McDonalds was adjacent. A very nice quiet serene hotel. We were there on a Tuesday evening for Social hour and dining. That night we had ravoli and salad and bread just for showing up. We couldn't have been more pleased anymore else for the money. I rate it an A++++++.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

The breakfast that is offered at this hotel is wonderful. Most "hot" continental breakfasts leave a lot to be desired, not this one! Guests can make their own Belgian waffles, eggs and bacon are available, and cereal. I stayed here for a week in May 2010, and it was very comfortable, quiet and clean. Another plus is the Chandler fashion mall is just down the road, which is great for those of us that love shopping! If you are visiting the Phoenix area, I would recommend giving this hotel a try.

• Stayed May 2010
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Our experience with Hawthorn Suites Phoenix Cahndler has been very good. The staff are accomadating and the grounds and rooms are neat and clean. Easy drive from Phoenix airport.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Maricopa, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is a a very nice, clean hotel. The staff is very friendly. I have stayed there 3 times in the past few months and couldn't be more pleased. Gary, the manager is very helpful. The breakfast is very good. Usually they have eggs, waffles and some type of meat. Sometimes french toast and other hot items. There is oatmeal and cold cereals and fruit and yogurt. Couldn't ask for more for the price. There is also a reception on certain nights of the week. The location is great. Close to the freeway and shopping. The bed is extremely comfortable. The staff will make sure that you have everything you need.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

OK hotel, but needs a L O T of work.
I am now in my third room in 7 nights at the Hawthorn in Chandler. I've changed rooms so much that the only way that I can remember the direction to the car today is I always head in the direction of the large bag of trash that has been sitting in the hall for over 10 hours now.
Air conditioner problems drove me from the first two rooms. The staff were helpful enough, they just can't do anything about failing infrastructure except move you to another room and hope that the air conditioner in that room outlasts your stay. Unfortunately my stay was 2+ weeks so it seems I am able to outlast the dilapidated A/C systems so far. I do understand a bit about HVAC systems, but with that understanding comes the knowledge that it's never OK to have a 10 degree difference between the set temp (68) and the actual temp (78) after the system has had time to respond. Complicating this fact was the "spotty" housekeeping. Like the A/C, mostly OK, but some days you might not get your trash emptied, and some days you might not get a replacement coffee pack for the next morning. Not a show stopper, but something that should be fixable by someone that cared about quality and service. The fitness center has one treadmill, one elliptical and one stationary bike. Some days, towels were there, some days not, some days the water cooler had water in it, some days not. I have called the tech support line three times about internet connection problems. I was told by Jennifer that my account was deactivated due to consuming too much bandwidth. At the time, I had one browser window open to Google. During my one week stay so far, I have probably wasted about 3 - 4 hours of my life that i won;t get back packing/unpacking to change rooms or talking to someone on the tech support line regarding internet access.
The rooms are generally clean and comfortable, but this year so far, I have spent around 45 nights in hotels and this one is dead last in service and quality.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business