“Great spot” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Chandler
Chicago, Illinois
“Great spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here last week to take a break from the kids. The hotel is obviously going through what seam to be some good changes. Golf was closed for renovation but the hotel staff is amazing. The place is clean and has a great location, we will be back and you have a great value.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your 5-star review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort!
We agree that our resort is a “great spot” and we look forward to serving you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel for a couple days for business. The history of the hotel is nice and its location is really nice if you need to be in the Chandler area (right on the edge of the downtown strip). The accommodations are very nice and the staff is very pleasant. I only have two complaints...well maybe only one real compliant. Being from New England, the summer heat in Arizona is a little tough to get used to, so not having any interior hallways was surprising and forces one to spend more time in the heat. For some, that may not be an issue at all. Also, don't think that their very lovely pool will be a refreshing dip in cool water. Being an outdoor pool, the sun cooks the water into a boiling pot that one could stream pasta in. Okay, maybe not that bad but you get the idea. My real compliant was with the cleaning staff. They just don't seem to care. I found clumps of hair clinging to my shower walls when I checked in. I'm normally not a queasy one, but that just made me wonder what else was not cleaned up properly. I would also see trays of food from room service sitting outside rooms in the morning and when I returned back to the hotel 8 to 9 hours later the same trays of food were still sitting there. Cooking in the Arizona sun. I'll let you decide if you want to stay here. As for me? I think I'll find a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for positing a review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. I agree that summertime in Arizona can be overwhelming especially for visitors who may not be used to the heat. I would like to apologize for the condition of your guestroom and outside surrounding area. Please know this is not the level of cleanliness we expect to provide our guests. We will be certain to address your comments with our team members. We value your comments and hope you will get another chance to visit Arizona and our resort at a more enjoyable time of year. Please don’t hesitate to call me directly the next time you are in Chandler so that I may oversee the details of your stay and ensure a better experience.
Phuket, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We loved the historical aspect of the hotel. Good points about the hotel is the food, bar, pool. The rooms, once in, are decent, but similar to a low quality hotel. Landscaping is pretty bad. Over watering grass, ugly stucco building. That needs to be redone.

We will not stay again.

Stayed June 2014
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. We are pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy our historical resort and experience our food and beverage outlets and our refreshing pool. We will be certain to address your concerns about our landscaping. Your comments are very valuable to us and we do hope you will give us another opportunity when you return to the Chandler area.
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I did not stay at the hotel as a guest, but tried to plan a non profit fundraiser. The representative was nice and polite at first. I told her our expectations for pricing and when I told her she went to the website of our prior caterer. She emailed me back and even said she did that and the pricing did not correlate with what I told her.

Well, for one thing we are non profit and worked out a special price and menu so it wasnt on the website and secondly how distasteful and tacky! Needless to say in the few days it took for her to get back to me, I booked another location that was willing to work with us.

Stayed July 2014
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak with you regarding the non-profit event you are planning. As I mentioned it is common for our staff to check our competitor’s pricing so that we can offer our best competitive pricing. We are sorry that you felt it was tacky and I have spoken with the sales manager about how she may have presented herself more professionally. I regret that we will not have a chance to work with you this year but don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to consider the San Marcos for any of your future events
Please accept my sincere apology for the misunderstanding and all the best in the success of your event.
Parker, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The San Marcos is a different place to stay. The rooms are comfortable (albeit a bit dated), and the grounds and pool areas quite pretty. It's nice to stay somewhere a bit different than the mainstream chains. It's very quiet in the off season.

Stayed July 2014
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We were very pleased to read your post following your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Sierra Vista, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This at one time was an awesome Resort experience. That was probably in the 1920's and 30's. The toilets had a ring, the rooms looked dated, not classic. Of course everywhere kept commenting on how it was built in 1912, maybe to justify the unkept look. I did get the room at a bargain price, so did everyone else, evidently. It was like a Super 8 motel with spa services. The staff was great, unfortunately they did not have much to work with.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort.

I apologize that you were disappointed with some of the physical aspects of the resort. We continue to work on these deficiencies to improve the overall experience to give the historical feel with modern amenities. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. All of us will continue to strive for the excellence you deserve when staying with us.
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is my first choice of hotel in Chandler. In spite of that, I'm giving the an average score after much thought because of 2 items that would likely be a problem for anyone other than me and my husband. If the hotel improves upon these 2 things, absolutely a Very Good.

Issues I know would really bother some people:
1. The slow drain meant that there was quite a bit of standing water in the tub by the end of my shower that took a while to drain afterwards. I did not report this to the hotel so I'll admit that is not fair to them.
2. Housekeeping made our bed and gave us new towels - that's it. Countertops were not wiped down, pretty sure nothing was vacuumed. Didn't clean the coffee maker and left only one packet of coffee refill. First world problems, room wasn't gross or anything. But that's average service at best when compared to other hotels.

If you can overlook those 2 items, don't think twice:
1. Staff was friendly. Because they had a room free in the morning, they provided early check-in.

2. Rooms very recently updated and clean overall. The decor is great. I slept well in the comfy bed. AC worked well.

3. I love the pool area and really the grounds in general are lovely. No, it's not Scottsdale resort fancy, but there was ample seating, plenty of towels, and it was clean. We spent every morning at the pool. The hot tub is large, the pool is a nice size. There's also outdoor seating near the lobby with fire pits for cool desert nights (assuming that exists). The $10/day resort fee covers the towels, etc.

4. There's a breakfast place and a coffee shop in the hotel, adjacent to the pool area. Breakfast pastries at the coffee shop (made by the hotel) were top notch. The scone was delicious as was the croissant - not the dried-out junk I expected at all.

5. Location cannot be beat for the suburbs. Downtown Chandler has plenty of restaurants and bars that are walking distance to the hotel. San Tan Brewing and a new place called Perch offer excellent beer and food selections. I believe there is a theater nearby as well.

6. Golf course (closed right now) looks like it would be great for a morning round of golf if that's what you like. There's also a tennis court at the back of the property.

7. Free wifi!

Got a great deal online. I hope I can grab a similar deal when I return for Christmas with my family so I can stay here again.

Room Tip: West side is closer to the tennis court. East side closer to the pool. It was generally quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
We greatly appreciate your review of the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Resort and we were pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated resort and our ideal location. Please allow me to apologize for our housekeeping department’s lack of attention to detail in cleaning your guestroom. I will be certain to address this with our Executive Housekeeper. Thank you for bringing the slow tub draining issue to our attention. Our Engineering Department is working on a permanent solution to this problem.
We look forward to seeing you and your family back at Christmas.

Been to Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort? Share your experiences!