“Rooms are fine, dirty halls, crappy breakfasts, A+ for the Pool and Whirlpool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 26 hotels in Chandler
“Rooms are fine, dirty halls, crappy breakfasts, A+ for the Pool and Whirlpool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

What a title!! I rated this place very good, but complained about the halls and the breakfasts.

Let's talk about the hotel itself. The hotel is fine. On the 4th floor there was a lot of bird droppings that had been there for a while and I didn't like walking or dragging my luggage through. The room was great, however. I liked the room and the bed. Nice room.

My room came with a free breakfast and not to complain about a FREE breakfast, but the scrambled eggs were just totally overcooked, and brown and without any moisture. I complained about the eggs, but the staff seemed unmoved over the butchered eggs. Clearly someone who has little cooking experience made those eggs. Also, the breakfast buffet was a little lacking. A free breakfast is OK, but they can do so much better.

Lastly, I found Lisa at the front desk to be very helpful and somewhat of a great person. Thus, my hats off to Lisa. A few issues, but OK. Also, the pool and whirlpool are A +

Hope this helps

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort.
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms, pool and whirlpool. We will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Lisa. Our F&B Director and Executive Housekeeper will be addressing your comments regarding our breakfast offerings and hallway cleanliness.
Thank you again and we appreciate your comments as we endeavor to improve our guest experience at our resort.

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sheridan, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The staff was great and the hotel was very clean. Rooms are very large! The area was perfect for dinning and cocktails less than a block away. The only thing to be aware of is about a 12$ per day resort fee. But it is well worth it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. We were so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you back soon.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The resort itself seemed reasonable for the price. The room was great and the bed was really comfortable..I even loved the pillows! But our room was on the corner of the resort, literally a five second walk from an extremely loud bar. If I was 18 and like to party, sure, that would have been great. But the room was definitely not sound proof. I could hear all the people and of course the band. So unfortunately I didn't sleep the two nights we stayed and was extremely pissed off.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest side of the resort for the rooms!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our recently remodeled guestroom. But please allow me to offer my apology for the noise that you experienced from the nearby restaurant. Feel free to contact us directly for your next stay and we ensure your guestroom is in a more quiet location.
South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We've stayed at many Crowne Plaza hotels. To be fair to people considering this one, it's the worst of them all. As a Platinum IHG member, we spend many nights in various IHG branded properties. We do so because we have come to expect certain things and are rarely disappointed. Consistency is their hallmark. This property did not meet those expectations.

The front desk people were not welcoming. We arrived 9pm-ish. Apparently we had interrupted something going on in the back room. It is my first recollection of not being thanked for my business at an IHG Property. My presence at the checkin desk was an obvious annoyance. I am an early riser and each morning I would go to the welcoming lobby to read while waiting for breakfast. On two mornings I was told to leave as it was for hotel guests only. They were non-apologetic when I gave them my room number which I know shows my elite status. That was demeaning!

The breakfast buffet was really poorly done in the restaurant. Thankfully we had coupons each day and could order a freshly cooked meal or we would have gone elsewhere. One of the breakfast wait staff was so loud that it was annoying. She waited on us one morning and was simply rude. The hostess seemed irritated that she had to stop her leaning and show us to a table. We asked for a different table as many were open, "Just sit wherever you want!" she snapped back and walked away. Others were treated similarly. Not sure she was even awake. It was bizarre.

The carpets in our room were filthy, no nice way to say it. We used a whole bottle of Shout treating our socks when we got home. Have NEVER been in such a dirty room at any IHG property. The room amenities were nice. We had a nicely tiled walk-in shower as well as a shower tub.

The original building is beautiful and historic. The lobby, bar and restaurant are architectural classics. The pool area is relaxing and welcoming. There is NOT a Starbucks on the property. There is a coffee shop that brews Starbucks coffee. $3.09 is what I paid for a grande coffee! Thankfully there are a good number of excellent eating choices within a few minutes walk as we had no intention of paying for anything at the hotel restaurant, not given our breakfast experiences.

It is a golf resort hotel. We don't golf. We expected far better. We were here 5 nights. If it had not been so convenient for the wedding activities that brought us to the Phoenix area we would certainly have moved. I rarely have negative things to say about my IHG experiences. It bothers me to write such a negative review but it is what we experienced. I hope it makes it better for others.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort following your recent stay and advising us of your dissatisfaction. We were very disappointed to read your comments.
Please accept my sincere apology for the manner in which you were treated by our staff and the condition of your guestroom carpet. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities and it appears we fell far short of our goal. This is by no means how we want you or any of our guests to remember a stay with us. We will be coaching our staff to better understand the importance of our Rewards Club Members and will continue to strive for improvement.
If you would like to discuss this directly, please feel free to contact the hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just decided at the last minute to do a staycation. Nice place. Older but well taken care of. I would stay again. Pool was nice. Lots of stuff to do locally. Nice golf course. :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a response regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. We were pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed our resort. We look forward to seeing you back soon!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed for two nights to visit the Chandler Barbecue and Beer Festival, which by the way was a fun event. The festival was held in closed off streets directly in front of the hotel, which made it the ideal location, plus we could enter and leave the festival and go hang in our hotel room - we noticed that people were parking many blocks away and walking to the venue, whereas we had free hotel parking and could walk a few steps to the festival gates. As far as I could determine, this was one of a very few decent hotels near the city center of Chandler, and the only one that was walking distance to the performing arts center and so forth.

The hotel was a little pricey for what you get, but that is probably related to the fact that they have so little competition in that location. The rate we got included breakfast, which was a passable steam table thing with scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and stale waffles. The pool area and jacuzzi were large and pretty nice, and heavily used. There were things about the hotel that could be updated - the linens, mattress, and pool towels were all a bit tired - but the lobby was quite nice and our room was newly renovated (except for that tired mattress), and we were assured that all rooms had been redecorated. We were on the fourth floor and enjoyed having a drink on the balcony before bed. The room was lacking a mini bar, which isn't a big deal to me, and was also lacking a safe, which IS a big deal to me. A used room service tray sat in the outdoor corridor the entire time we stayed at the hotel, which did make me question the thoroughness of the housekeeping department.

Downtown Chandler is cute with lots of restaurants, bars and shops, so there will be plenty to keep you occupied within walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you want some privacy, higher is better. First floor rooms face the outdoor corridors so people c...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort while attending the Chandler Barbeque and Beer Festival. We were pleased to read your comments regarding our location and our newly renovated resort. We will be certain to address your concerns regarding the issues you mentioned.
It is our desire to exceed our guest’s expectations and we are sorry we fell short in a few areas.
We value your comments and we look forward to seeing you back again.
Surprise, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here one night because it was located across the street from the Great American BBQ and Beer Festival. The location made it perfect for this event and it was located within walking distance to several popular restaurants. We arrived 3 hours early for check-in but they were able to accommodate us and we were able to get ready for the festival in our room.

We stayed in a standard King on the bottom floor, the room was clean,with the exception of mildew stains in the shower grout. The room was quiet, the bed was comfortable and we slept great.

If I'm going to stay somewhere for more than one night I want a fridge and microwave, I did take note that the room had neither. The onsite restaurant AJ's was disappointing and I've written a separate review for that. $200 a night was high for what we got, I've paid much less for much more. Location is the only reason I would stay here again. If there were a comparable alternative for a little less, I wouldn't return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for reviewing the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort following your stay during the Great American BBQ and Beer Festival. We agree that our location is ideal for all the downtown city events.

We will be certain to address the guestroom shower issue you mentioned and all of our guestrooms will be equipped with refrigerators in the fall. We will watch for your review of our AJ’s Restaurant.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back again.

Been to Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort? Share your experiences!