“Now I remember why we never returned to an Outback” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #239 of 519 restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Tempe, Arizona
“Now I remember why we never returned to an Outback”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Do you ever visit a restaurant and then return to it years later not remembering why you've not returned in years?

We received a gift card for this chain so we ventured forth. I ordered the "Hearts of Gold Mahi". To be fair the veggies were good. However, the fish was tough and after two bites I was done. The manager was gracious and removed it before my stomach tossed the two bites.

My wife had the shrimp Caesar salad and enjoyed it. She took pity on me and gave me some of her shrimp.

The wine list was not too bad for a chain restaurant.

The manager did not charge me for the mahi-mahi and even provided a coconut shrimp side (very good), so I'm giving the place three stars instead of one. Kudos to the manager.

Since we had a $50 gift card and did not use but about $32 we left the difference for the tip. It was certainly not the server's fault. Also, since there is a doubt of our returning in the foreseeable future, we might as well give it to her.

Sometimes it is worth exploring a place even though the first visit was unmemorable. They may have a new manager or new owner. However, sometimes there is a reason that the human mind blocks painful memories.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

48% Recommend
San Bernardino, California
“rude bartendar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

went to watch the nba. got there early so we can eat (like we usually done). we ask the tv to be change for the pre game review. Jake agrue with us/and our waiter Luke that the tv would automatic change to the game that it was too soon. We were NOT ASKING about the game but the pre-game. it was on another tv we just wanted the channel switch. it took 5 minutes before he did it with a bad attitude. their food was good, drinks good, and the potato soup the best

Visited June 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Decent food overshadowed by abysmal service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The worst dining experience of the past year. The waitress forgot to bring our salads and only noticed they were missing when the dinners arrived. The salads arrived halfway through dinner. She pretty much abandoned us after that. We waited so long to place a dessert order that we had to get it carry out; the waitress said they were adjusting the bill because of the missing salads but when the desserts arrived she told us they were on the house to make up for the missing salads. The desserts consisted of one carrot cake pop and one piece of carrot cake; the slice of cake was miniscule and missing part of the bottom. No way was it worth the $4.79 they were asking. We definitely won't be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Worst service ever!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We went there for lunch. A hostess took our order for appetizer after 15 min., later came back & took our order. After 35 min., I got up & found a hostess to ask who our waitress was & when would we get our meal. Finally got part of our meal, I ask to see a manager who later spent all of 5 sec. at table while putting down cup of water. She did not tell us she was manager. I asked again to see manager & was informed I already had. Dirty dishes left on table until we asked for them to be removed. We had to get up & ask for ticket. We finally left money with hostess, it took too long to get ticket. Terrible service, food barely fair, way overpriced for our experience. We won't be going back. Save your money, go to Arby's. Better sandwich, more meat than we got at outback.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chandler, Arizona
“Dying for a Bloomin' Onion...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

but was a little disappointed at it being a bit over done. Ate it, nonetheless.
Husband got a med-rare steak which had good flavor, and i ordered the seafood grill minus the mahi-mahi- just scallops and shrimp. I love scallops and the veggies sounded good.
Served atop a rice pilaf, and veggies sauteed in butter, were good- didn't taste frozen until i got to the broccoli. That, i left on the plate.
Is there motto for servers, is everything "perfect" a norm? It sets the bar kind of high~

Think less seasoning (or salt) on veggies/seafood/meat would be better - but maybe that's just us.

We arrived about 5:30 for an early dinner- by 6:30 is was packed, Wed night during holiday time- so, plan accordingly.

• Visited January 2013