“A comfortable bunk in the desert” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 26 hotels in Chandler
Manila, Philippines
“A comfortable bunk in the desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

We were booked in this hotel by our head office in Chandler cuz it was the closest hotel were our company had a good corporate rate. I stayed here for a week together with 1 colleague and we got ourselves seperate rooms. Mine was at room 414 overlooking Ocotillo road. The hotel is located at the corner of Alma School and Ocotillo Road and In my opinion, a very quiet, clean and secluded part of town. I found the hotel a little far away from the location were we had our business meetings which was in downtown Chandler. It's my first time in Arizona so I wouldn't know if the difficulty in getting a cab (and the high price you would have to pay) to go anywhere is normal in this place. Luckilly, the hotel's shuttle was very kind and willing enough to bring us to where we needed to go especially in the mornings. Being Filipinos, we were delighted to be chauffered in the shuttle by a Filipino driver named Sid who is already a local to Chandler. He brought us to the office and even brought us to Chandler Fashion Village Mall to do our "pre-departure" shopping. Very thoughtful and good service on the part of the hotel. The closest "mall" is Target mall to the north along Alma School Road, but you have to take a car to get there. The closest walking distance commercial center is at Fulton, located around a mile from the hotel along Ocotillo and at the corner of Arizona Avenue, it overlooks a runner's oval, a pool and the south side of Hamillton High School. One can walk eastwards for 20-30 minutes to get there. There's a Staples store there, grocery store and other decent commercial outlets.

My room in the hotel was very large for 1 occupant, a queen size bed, a couch and a large coffee table. There were 2 TV's, 1 in front of the bed and the other in front of the coffee table and couch. I liked the way they had different kinds of pillows for different kinds of sleeping styles/positions. The pillows were wrapped in labels to tell which pillow was which and had a bedside "manual" on how to use them.. Cool!!. There was a small ref, a microwave oven and a coffeemaker in the pantry area. The AC unit was next to the window, my only comment is that it made noises at night that were enough to wake you up, but after a week of staying, I learned to ignore it. The bathroom was adequately equipped with the usual compliment of towels, soaps and shampoos, but if you forgot your toothpaste and/or shavers, you can simply ask for it at the front desk and they give you this bag of goodies that had everything you would need including shaving cream, razor and toothpaste. The elevator areas had vendo machines if you would like to have that last Dr. Pepper or Coke Zero for the night. Next to the front desk was a small store that sold small items like medicines and snacks, it was open all evening, lucky for us folks who needed meds due to the dry Arizona weather. Breakfast was at the Ponte Vecchio Cafe overlooking the pool outside and is next to the front desk. We were given breakfast coupons during check-in and is enough for the whole duration of the stay. It was a buffet of bacon, sausages, eggs, cereals, fruit and french toast etc. The menu was practically similar everyday, and breakfast was served until around 9:30 AM. I think that it had enough variety for me to eat different kinds of food for the whole week which is good. The business center is a small adjoining room to the front desk with just 1 PC. It's ok as long as you would be the only person using it, other than that I found it a little too small and bare. But to make up for that the hotel had a good WiFi connection so I was able to file my reports straight from my laptop in the comfort of my room. Wake up calls were automatic and reliable as you set it yourself on the phone, an automated voice system does this all for you.

The personel were very courteous and helpful in many ways, one of the best in my opinion. The room was always clean and you had a choice whether you would want your bed sheets and towels replaced everyday or if you would want to participate in their "re-use your towels/sheets" program. I really liked this hotel, the only downside is I had to smoke outside by the driveway as the whole place is "no smoking".

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in april while we were visiting friends close by. I found this hotel very clean & the rooms roomy with two tv's!! & a sofa. It had all you wanted including free wi fi, coffee machine & micro wave. The oonly problem was that you really needed a car as there did not seem anything close by aapart from the local shops & bars, but we did not look to much as we were with our friiends for most of the time. My vvife also visited the pool which was nice and also had a jucuzzi. the breakfast was good and the staff were friendly & provided a good service. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

My buddies stayed here for 2 nights during Spring Training. Go Giants!!. Although it was not near any of the stadiums the hotel worked out for us. It was clean, roomy and the 2x I talked to the front desk they seemed nice.

We were pretty low maintenance, and really just needed a place to crash, and this did the trick. There were three of us and we got a room with two double beds. They would not put a roll away in the room, because it was a fire hazard even though the room had plenty of space for one. Oh well, other than that a pleasant enough stay.

I see that others have gotten free breakfast, we didn't. They did have a place to eat and it did serve breakfast, but it was definitely not complimentary.

My only other issue and it's really minor is that besides the wine bar in the same parking lot everything was a drive to get too. Whether you wanted to go see a movie, get dinner or go to Target. But that seems the norm in AZ.

Would I stay here again, maybe if I had reason to be in that part of Chandler. There are plenty of new nice looking hotels closer to the freeway and there are others closer to where we were going, granted there are many parts of Metro Phoenix I would NOT stay in, due to the surrounding area. But this one was nice; it was just far away from the stuff we were doing. So why did I stay so far away? Price, it was a good deal, and sometimes that trumps convenience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

I am a frequent business traveler, traveling over 200 days a year. I was recently assigned to work in Phoenix. I tried the Crowne, the Intercontinental, the Marriott, and the Hilton, never finding a place I felt comfortable staying week after week.

Then I found the Holiday Inn Chandler, and have never returned elsewhere yet. This Holiday Inn exceeds all expectations, from the service, to the managers, to the breakfast which is awesome, I don't know how they do it, but one of my co-workers who stayed, said they have somehow perfected how to cook the bacon!

If possible you have to try one of the jacuzzi rooms, they are always immaculately clean and I don't know how I can live without one now. I have had several of my co-workers stay at this Holiday Inn during visits and each one of them had been impressed byond measure.

Being a Northerner I also really like this place during the summer, not having to walk 1/2 a mile to get to your room when it is 120 degrees out. But I don't mind walking to the pool which is always clean and the perfect temperature.

I give this place an A+

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

I am a busy Mom but I felt an obligation to write a review on this hotel due to my experience and to warn other parent's. My teenage son had a golf camp which was staying and playing at this hotel. My younger son and I stayed in one room and my older son stayed in a room with my mother. We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights although we were booked for 4 nights. We checked out on the 4th day when I found a scorpion crawling on my ceiling. I called the front desk and they were not surprised. They sent maintenance. The maintenance guy took a long stick and crushed the scorpion in front of my family and walked out with it on the tip of the stick. I asked him if this happened often and he said, "yes". We had noticed at check in that there were several large holes where the ceiling at the walls met (intentional in the design). Being from California I worried a spider might crawl out of one of the holes but I never imagined that a scorpion would. I am just thankful that I was there to see it and that it did not end up in my son's bed that night. We packed up and checked into another local hotel. When we checked out we told them the reason we were leaving and they could care less and acted as if this was a common occurrence at their hotel. The hotel we checked into (Marriott) reassured us that they sprayed regularly and that this had never happened at their hotel. I had not had high expectations for this Holiday Inn. I just wanted to stay where my son's camp was and I hoped for a clean, pleasant place to stay. The golf camp was great and I would recommend it but I recommend that you stay in another hotel. There are several we found while exploring Chandler...a city which exceeded our expectations.

There was a dirty Kleenex on the floor of our room when we checked in.

On the positive side: The restaurant D Vine Wine Bar & Bistro in the same parking lot as the Holiday Inn was fantastic. The service was wonderful and the food was delicious. If you like Mexican food there is an El Palacio in town that is family owned and wonderful. It is newly opened but we have been to the locations in Bullhead City and Laughlin and it is our family's favorite for Mexican food. This El Palacio was just as great as the other locations. Grimaldi's is a must for pizza lovers.

We played the Ocotillo golf course two of the days that we were there and I would recommend it. It is a beautiful course and not too expensive.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

I walked in to the lobby at about 8:00 PM. The front desk attendant had my reservation packet ready for me. This packet incuded: two rooms "keys", breakfast vouchers for every day, maps of the property, etc. I had reserved a "standard" room. When I walked into my room, I found that I had been given a king bad, sleeper sofa and a balcony overlooking the pool. The breakfast was/is typical of free breakfasts offered at hotels. I never saw biscuits and gravy, and the bacon was a bit too crisp for my tastes. However, that said, this was a breakfast buffet, not a cook to order breakfast. Overall, my room was very comfortable and always clean. I never tried the room service, so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I meant to type up this review back in Jan. and just never got around to it. So, as I'm sitting here in my rocking chair, with my fat cat and looking out the window at the rain, I thought I would express my true delight for this hotel (Holiday Inn at Ocotillo). I often travel on company business, but usually stay at a Hilton. However, the Holiday Inn at Ocotillo was recommended to me by a co-worker who had stayed at this jewel of a hotel and found it to be beyond her expections of a Holiday Inn. Upon arrival, the front desk staff was very nice/friendly and had me checked into my room in no time. I was very tired after a long day of meetings and sitting on a plane, so I greatly appreciated this. Once I got settled into my room, I order room service (Deli Sandwich, side of fresh fruit and a glass of wine). Just before my stomach began to make a noise, my food order was delivered to my room by a very smiley young man. Now, ladies, if it has been a long day, you can truly appreciate a nice clean young man with a very friendly smile. My bed was so cozy, I fell asleep right away and did not wake -up until I heard the phone ring, which was my 7am wake-up call (friendly voice). Loved the shower head, may even get the husband to install one just like it. Again, when I approached the front desk staff to ask if breakfast was included in my rate, they looked up my room number, told me that it was not included, but that the inhouse restaurant had a great hot and cold buffet for $9.00. Now, I really do not like buffets, so I choose to order off of the menu. My breakfast was served hot and fresh by a very nice young lady, I believe her name was Vicki. Also, as I am a coffee drinker, she offerd me a to-go coffee cup, stating my to-go coffee was on her. How nice is that???? I checked out after eating breakfast and was on my way. Now, I only stayed at this hotel 1 night, but will be sure to stay there any and every time I go back to Arizona.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Chandler? Share your experiences!