“Nice Resort and Incredible Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5594 West Wild Horse Pass Boulevard, Gila River Indian Community, Chandler, AZ 85226   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #6 of 27 hotels in Chandler
Yakima, Washington
“Nice Resort and Incredible Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

A good trip is about the total experience. A nice meal or a nice hotel can be ruined by sub standard service. There are lots of nice resorts in this area and the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass is certainly nice. But what made the experience special for me was the staff. Every single person that I met was friendly, well-trained, helpful and unpretentious.

I was here with my wife at a convention. On our first night there was a cocktail reception and dinner out on the main lawn. The dinner was a buffet with food stations set up around the lawn area. After searching the food options in the food stations that were set up, we were disappointed that no green salad had been ordered by our group. The server who attended our table was able to get my wife a much appreciated green salad to eat with dinner. Later in the evening, my wife’s necklace came undone and three small charms fell from it. As we searched in the grass in the dark, one of the staff saw us, got us a flashlight and quickly found the last charm. Two days later my wife went to the Starbucks coffee stand at the hotel to get an iced tea and found that all of the options were prepackaged and heavily sweetened. She just wanted a plain old iced tea with a wedge of lemon. A member of the staff cheerfully went to the restaurant that was around the corner and came back with an iced tea for her.

Good service is defined in many ways but consistency is paramount. These people have it nailed!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

1,038 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Not even close to 'The real Thing' as quality Arizona resorts go. Many of the staff try surprisingly hard but the operation is far from seamless and we found some of the staff incompetent and a few were downright rude. The management tries to resolve and meliorate problems but I would rather have things go well rather than receive apologies. Some facilities (especially the Spa) were lovely and the food was extremely good. Contrary to many reviews below, the food was in fact very fairly priced by resort standards. However, the rooms, though spacious are not particularly attractive and many have horrible views. The beds are inferior and the sheets are very sub-standard for a resort at this price. I can imagine some families being very happy here because of the array of activities but our own experience was negative and I found Frommers and Zagat to be way off the mark on this property. It is possible that you might like this place but with so many superior resorts near by at similar and often lower prices why risk it?

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Room was clean and comfortable. The staff was really, really nice and helpful. Restaurants were exceptionally expensive, but the food was good. The pool side restaurant was fairly reasonable priced but selection was poor. I'd recommend eating in town. Hotel is excellently placed to get anywhere. I personally was there to relax , soak up sun,and go to the Bondurant Race track. I had a great time!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Clarkston, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

This hotel is certainly off the beaten path. The complex is huge and they are in the process of building a new high rise casino near the entrance to the property. We got a great deal on hotwire - $109 a night. Due to the economy the confrence/convention business is way down so we experienced the resort absent conventioneers which was very pleasant. If the resort had been full I'm sure our experience may not have been as nice. The property and the resort are sprawling. We asked for and were given a room near the pool (although we could not get a pool view room). There were an adequate number of pool chairs available for the number of guests there at the time. I suspect during high capacity this is not the case. When we first arived only one of the pools was heated. The pool bar and resturant serve good but very overpriced food and beverages. Service pool side was excellent especially from server Matt. An unfortunate incident involving an inappropriate remark by the pool bartender to our daughter was resolved to our satisfaction by management. The rooms are average, housekeeping was spotty. The first night the air conditioner was not working properly and it was quickly repaired and we were given extra Stawwood points for the inconvenience. You do get the feeling that the hotel wants to make you happy . Now the big BUT..............................the pool and outside areas are fly infested. They are everywhere and they are so annoying. Everyone we spoke to about the problem cited the man-made river that runs through the property as the source of ther infestation. They also blamed the equestrian center that is on the property. They all said the flies are a problem all spring and summer. THey said that they are unable to open the lobby doors and windows because of the problem. I am not kidding when I say that when we laid out by the pool we swatted flies the entire time. For this reason alone I cannot recommend this property and I will not stay here again. We have been to the Phoenix area the same time of year for the past 4 years and have never experienced flies at any of the other resorts we have stayed at. Also thought the $20 a day extra for the fitness center was outrageous for a resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights (3/26-3/29) while in town for Cubs Spring Training with my husband and 5 month old. Upon arrival to the property I have to say the scenery was stunning. It’s a little drive from the Hotel Marquee at the road to the actual property it is set back quite a bit. It’s a large complex and my only complaint is there is only one entrance to the hotel if you are in a far room like I was you can’t park closer and walk to your room.
FIRST IMPRESSION: First stop valet … great staff, super friendly and personable. Next stop check in, pleasant staff, smiling and friendly. Received a room on the odd numbered side of the hotel, which doesn’t have a view =( and the room was quite a walk from the main lobby. The room was a decent size and the bed wasn’t the feather like bed most of the SPG properties have. However, it wasn’t uncomfortable. Clean room but the balcony wasn’t clean, had cobwebs and looked like something was building a nest out there. Bathroom decent size, had a glass enclosed shower and a whirlpool tub. The room was decorated in tasteful southwestern décor.

THE GOOD DETAILS: The hotel lobby is beautiful with the floor to ceiling windows and panoramic views of the mountains and pool. The grounds were very pretty and had some trails to walk around it to look at the scenery.

The pool is large and has something for everyone, even had a large waterslide. The towels were in plenty poolside and the kiddie pool was heated! Son loved it. The wait staff pool side was friendly and at tentative to what you needed. The staff worked hard at picking up food service plates and empty cups, keeping the pool area clean and bug free. I appreciated that. The food at the Hanyo Poolside was decent, way better than the room service I had. The views from the pool area are just gorgeous with the mountains and occasional horse riders passing by, makes for a very relaxing time.

As with all SPG properties overnight valet is $22 after 11pm, it is complimentary until then. Valet staff was super friendly, offered directions and water bottles upon all departures. Car was quick to come up each time, never a delay.

Maid service was just fine, they cleaned the room well and always left clean towels and replenished the toiletries every time they cleaned. They cleaned the rooms promptly and I never returned to an unclean room. The area my room was in was very quiet you could hear a pin drop and this was during the weekend. I was in the PIMA wing and it is quiet over there.

THE NOT SO GOOD: Room service food is horrible, the food was inedible and at a big expense we didn’t even touch it. If you want to be in walking distance to a town, then this isn’t the place for you. You will need to drive everywhere; however nothing is far from the property most places are within 15-30 min away. Other than that I don’t have any other issues with the property.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
st louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

overall, about a B. Great location and venue. Everyone on staff is very nice but service across the board is slow. Restaurants offer limited menus. Two pools are heated out of 4 - which means you couldnt use two pools unless you have a wet suit. Rooms are clean and well kept. Pool service - go to the bar and get your own, much faster. Reasonably priced and scenic. Worth the price at 199 a nite.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Avon, CT, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

My friend, who lives in Chandler, suggested I stay here. True, it's in the middle of an Indian reservation with everything at least a 5-15 minute car ride away (however, there is a casino that is within walking distance). Nonetheless, every morning I walked their 2.5 mile trail through the dessert, which was beautifully landscaped and had signs pointing out the different flora and factual information about the Pima Tribe. One morning I saw a coyote, and it was almost a spiritual experience (see photo). The spa was FABULOUS, but waaaay too expensive; it included the use of the spa's outdoor pool area, which was nice because there weren't a million kids and it was very quiet there. I found the staff INCREDIBLY helpful, professional and good. The only thing I didn't like was the business center not being open on Sunday...I had no computer, and they only had one in the center for use which was 50 cents a minute. I found the food there exceptionally good but again, very expensive in comparison to other resorts of this caliber.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!