“Summer in the Desert” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5594 West Wild Horse Pass Boulevard, Gila River Indian Community, Chandler, AZ 85226   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Night Free & Credit
Ranked #7 of 28 hotels in Chandler
Brighton, Michigan
“Summer in the Desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Our family (two adults and college student) stayed at this resort for a long weekend in July 2014. We had a wonderful time. Check in was quick and efficient. I made reservations online using the hotel's website. We had a king size bed with a balcony which overlooked the back of the hotel and conference center which was fine as we were not in our room much. We did have a roll away bed in our room for two nights and it fit fine. It is my understanding if you join the Sheraton preferred guest program you would get a room overlooking the pool. In the lobby is a cafe where coffee and muffins can be purchased and charged to the room. I spent Friday by the pools of which there are three - one of the pools is sufficient size for swimming laps and there is a water slide which I enjoyed and there were children using the water slide too. My husband played golf at one of the resort's golf courses and he easily got a tee time playing with some other hotel guests. There is a bar/restaurant (sandwiches and salads and some appetizers) by the pool. I ordered lunch and it was brought to me where I was sitting by the pool. Friday afternoon by the pool was not that busy - Saturday by the pool was quite busy. For the weekend in the summer in Phoenix, there was musical entertainment in the lobby on Friday and Saturday evening and on Saturday afternoon, there was a group of three musicians by the pool. On Friday afternoon, there was a wine tasting which was enjoyable. The staff was pleasant - I had difficulty using the computer for printing my boarding pass and the staff at the desk printed my boarding pass for me. I spoke with many of the staff people and everyone was pleasant and friendly. We enjoyed our time here and will return again when in the area. We checked out on Sunday very quickly. This hotel is in a breath taking location on an Indian reservation surrounded by mountains. In the summer, the sunset was gorgeous.

Room Tip: We were on third floor facing conference center and room was quiet - our room had a king size bed...
Green Features: The hotel's environmentally friendly practices are best described on the hotel's website.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding your most recent stay. We are more than happy that you were able to enjoy all of the wonderful amenities our property has to offer. We are also glad to hear you connected with several associates, finding them helpful and friendly - as that it the kind of service we aim for. We cannot wait to welcome you back to our property.
PR Director

1,054 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The A/C in the room wasn't working correctly (this seems to be a reoccurring theme at SPG properties), so I asked to change to another room. The guest services department said, "We will send an engineer to look if the thermostat is working correctly, and then she would look at other options about changing rooms." Another issue I had was that my room was not made up until 5:30pm - I left my room at 9:00M and returned around 3:00pm. I phoned guest services to request to the room be made up, but it wasn't until I went to the front desk, to request the room be made up, that a house keeper cleaned the room. What disappoints me most, was that both times I contacted customer service, I was given excuses, and not solutions to my problems. I had to wait around for the engineer to repair the a/c unit (which was clogged with lint and dust particles preventing proper air circulation), in a hot a muggy room for 40+ minutes and I need to run errands. Secondly, my first request for house cleaning was ignored because the house keeping manager told me the room wasn't cleaned because the room attendant for that floor had left for the evening. Good customer service, would have been to acknowledge the inconvenience I was experiencing, and transfer my room, so your team could have made all the necessary repairs and allow housekeeping to clean the room. Instead, I felt I was paying to provide convince to the hotel. I was forces to waste my time and wait in a hot unkempt room until the engineer and housekeeping could address the rooms issues. This is what I expect to do when I am at home, but not on holiday in a 5 star resort.

Stayed July 2014
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your comments. We truly value your feedback and we appreciate that you would take the time to post your experience. It is very disappointing that we failed to meet your expectations and we sincerely apologize for our errors and the inconveniences you experienced. We know that you have many choices when traveling to the Phoenix area and hope that in you would consider us again for your next visit.
Resort Manager
Greenacres, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I went there on a business trip and we were amazed. The grounds are beautiful and the food was beyond reproach. We were upgraded to a suite for free which had a spectacular view. They have a fantastic trail and very relaxing poolside service. I would love to visit again!!

Stayed May 2014
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and are so glad to hear you enjoyed so many of the amenities we have to offer.

Whether on business or leisure, we are elated to hear you enjoyed the grounds, food, and upgraded room with a view, our Interpretive Trail and Hanyo Pool.

Again, thank you for sharing your resort experience and we look forward to your next visit!

Restaurants & Bars Manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I found out about this place through a military site who are known for offering typically 3* and above hotel and resorts. I haven't a clue as to how this place slipped through the cracks! There where truly RED FLAGS & WARNING SIGNS from the day I reserved the room. First they immediately charge my credit card for the entire stay (3 days)... I still had 15hrs before I would even arrive in any part of Arizona. After going to this place direct web site I notices a number of difference in the way they listed there rooms and other sites that they have as 3rd parties after checking about three I called the SHERATON WILD HORSE PASS RESORT & SPA directly, questioning the room that I reserved and the charges to my credit card. I was informed by staff that their practice is to charge one- two nights upfront and that they don't guaranty rooms, they are on a first come first serve basses! I was OUTRAGED and asked for clarity... so you mean to tell me, I can pay for a suite and reserve it online and when I get there you can put me in a regular room? "UHH Yeah" was the young woman's reply. Then told me, " you need to take that up with the third party you made your reservation with, not us". I immediately called the travel agent and was put on hold for 45min while the two went back and forth. After the agents return, I was told that my King Deluxe room was confirmed but if they offer a variety of King Deluxe then which one couldn't be guarantied ( scratching My head now) so you are good to go, but they don't allow refunds less than 7 days out. Never the less!!!! I get there and not only am I in 2 basic room with a king size bed that LOOKS and SMELLS like the cheapest MOTEL you can think of when I print out a copy of the advertised room and my conformation, I get the OMG look and I'm told if you could let me copy that I will turn it in to a manager but we are booked to capacity though the rest of this month. SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the three days of being there, no linen was changed, just remade beds and turned pillows with my make-up over! Who does that? We literally saw maybe ten other people out and around the entire place during our stay (adults and children) but they considered the place to be booked to capacity! Absolutely NO CONTINENTAL ANYTHING and the two complimentary waters, I am sure I paid for with the $42 or $43 resort charge they hit me with on check-out! Overpriced MOTEL, then want you to pay for leaving your room or better yet stay in your room and watch a t.v that is programed to do more advertising than entertaining... like a MOTEL! I promise there was not one person walking around with a smile on their face... and I will do everything in my power to make sure this place is not OFFERED to ANY OTHER SOLDIER ever again!!!!!!! And I hope the general public can learn from our tragedy and go some other place, I mean we Couldn't even check out w/o having to wait half an hour for someone to return to the front desk, SMDH! Thanking God above, we left that place and went just down the highway and stayed at the Homewood Suite for less money, got us a two bedroom suite with a separate living and kitchen for the same amount of days with breakfast and DINNER included, more entertainment and beautiful surrounding and I must say they turned our frown upside down.
I'm not interested in any comments from the resort whatsoever this post is strictly for the consumers!

Room Tip: "TURN AROUND AND RUN!" "A/C didn't seem to work"
Green Features: They seem to save on laundry and cleaning for sure.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts an observations regarding your recent stay with us. We are extremely concerned that your experience left you frustrated and we truly apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. We understand that you did not specifically want a reply from us. As is our policy, we must reply and we do feel it important that we expand the explanation of some of the circumstances of your stay that may have been unclear in your evaluation.
We have many seasonal packages that are available directly through the Resort and our external partner web sites which vary in cost, based on content and availability. This includes one package specifically intended for Military members, but this is only available through the resort specific special offers page.
Third party partners are a component of our marketing and guests who choose this option enter a separate financial arraignment directly with the third party which includes prepayment of the room fees. All of these special rates are subject to the resort service fee, which is clearly stated in your arrival confirmation email. We do not have any packages through these partnerships that are targeted for specifically for Military members. Perhaps there was confusion during the booking process, but the rate selected was specific to the room type assigned.
Again, we sincerely appreciate your time and apologize for your frustration.
Resort Manager
Reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

It's just a beautiful resort. My room was very clean, and quiet, and had a wonderful view. I must say that the staff I dealt with only added to a perfect stay. To name a few, Larry and Nathan would have to be at the top of my list for having and using the skills needed to make a good stay a great stay. The whole experience from checking in to checking out was flawless.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
I want to personally thank you for providing us with the excellent feedback from your most recent stay with us at the resort. I was delighted to read about the wonderful experiences you had with Nathan and Larry, please be assured we will share the kind words with them. We take pride in our service and we strive to make every guest's experience unique and wonderful just like yours. We cannot wait to welcome you back to The Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa to enjoy the beautiful views and amenities that our property has to offer to all of our guests.
Front Office Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

we live in awhatukee so this place is close. great rooms and restaurants. service is always good. very southwestern decor and native american themed. we always enjoy staying here for a good meal, golf, and rest.

Room Tip: west facing rooms will have views of the pool and the estrella mountains.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback regarding your recent stay. The architecture, design, art and legends reflect the Pima (Akimel O'otham) and Maricopa (Pee Posh) tribes. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Front Desk Manager
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We took our 2 daughters (ages 12 and 15) for a two night stay. We have stayed at this resort 2 times before. It's very close to home, it's beautiful, and they have really awesome summer pricing! We took advantage of the $99/night deal they are offering for teachers. We arrived late afternoon on the Sunday of the 4th of July weekend. The place had pretty much cleared out but you could tell it had been busy and they hadn't had a chance to clean up yet. The pool was a bit murky and the carpets needed to be vacuumed but that wasn't really a big deal. Our room was on the 4th floor and had a great view of the pool and faced west, giving us some beautiful panoramic views. The room was clean and comfortable. We spent all day Monday at the pool and ordered lunch there (Hanyo pool grill). I have to mention... if you go... order the side of fries and onion rings! Best onion rings I ever had ! The place was pretty deserted which was very nice. It was quiet and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The pool was the main reason we go there...just to relax and spend some quality time with our girls. We got a lot of use out of the waterslide...awesome waterslide- you can go really fast!! The second day at the pool was also very quiet. However, on this day there were a couple of families there that pretty much took over the waterslide. There is no supervision by the staff so the kids do whatever they want...this included walking up the slide and also sitting on the slide about halfway down. At one point my daughter was going down the slide and didn't realize a boy had planted himself mid-way down. She crashed into him and got hurt. She was pretty upset...which made me upset that the parents were not paying attention to what their kids were doing. If I had one request to the staff it would be to keep better tabs on the waterslide. Actually, looking back at my last review on this site of the same property I mentioned this was a problem then as well. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and will go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lobby...otherwise you will be walking quite a distance to get to your r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SHeckathorne, Director of Food and Beverage at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Davis Family,

Thank you so much for your recent review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and were able to have a relaxing time at the pool. I agree with you on the fries and onion rings at Hanyo Pool Bar & Grill – YUM! Those are really hard to resist and certainly a well-deserved treat after all the hard work of going up and down that water slide!

Thank you for your feedback regarding attendants at the slide – a very valid point and one that we will certainly address right away. Safety is very important and I’m concerned that you brought it up last time and it did not get addressed. Please accept my apology for that oversight on our part.

I hope that you will join us again for more fun-filled summer weekends. Check out our website for details on Labor Day weekend festivities…we’re setting up water slide inflatables, a pool-side reggae band and family gaming tournament with classics such as bocce ball and corn bags. It’s sure to be an awesome weekend!

Thank you again for your comments.

Lisa Mercer
Director of Food & Beverage

Been to Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!