We selected this resort to celebrate our upcoming anniversary and booked a suite. Later in the evening when we were ready for bed, we discovered the sprinkler over our bed was covered with a very thick spider web with bugs in it! There were also thick spider webs covering the window treatment and a thick layer of dust on the lamp shades in the bedroom. There were also quarter-sized mold spots on the ceiling. I have asthma and had to utilize my rescue inalher due to the dust and became very congested. It was already late by the time we were ready for bed and we had to wait up until after 11:00 for housekeeping to come in and thoroughly dust the room and change the sheets. After multiple visits by housekeeping and calls from the Front Desk, we were offered a $50 credit toward breakfast/dinner and over 2,000 SPG points. The next morning, the housekeeping engineer assured us that he would speak to the hotel manager on our behalf and they would make everything right. At this time, we have still not met or spoken to a hotel manager. The Front Desk and Housekeeping staff were cordial and apologetic however, for the amount of money we spent on a suite for 4 nights, the condition of the room upon arrival was unacceptable.