“Terrific Steak with an Up Charge” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Chandler, Arizona
“Terrific Steak with an Up Charge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I have frequented the D C Steakhouse for dinners ever since they opened. Their steaks are wonderful and consistent. The other evening, and not being too hungry, we chose to split a plate. While the waitress took our wife she advised us that there would be a "split plate fee". We have no problem with that, as we understand the additional prep work that goes into doing so. I then asked how much the fee would be, she replied "that will be $8.00. We were pretty surprised, expecting something more in-line like $4-5. We enjoy higher-end dining regularly, and have never been up-charged this much money. We will need to consider this when making future dining choices. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth, after such a good steak.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Horrendous Business Model”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My fiancé and I decided to buy a Groupon for DC Steakhouse after hearing great review after great review after great review. We do not go out very often, so when we do, it’s an exciting day… until we went to DC Steakhouse. I read that it is important to have a reservation, so I had to leave two messages, waited almost an hour and a half before trying a third time and I finally got someone on the phone. When I asked, because it was going to be my first time there, if my messages were received, the girl on the phone seemed annoyed by me, and did everything she could to rush me off the phone after finally confirming the time that I wanted.
Once we arrived, the place was virtually empty, and we were seated at one of three tables that had a “reserved” sign on it. The young female who sat us was wearing the most inappropriate outfit I have ever seen in my life. Her daisy duke shorts and see through blouse were outrageous for a “nice” restaurant. Even my fiancé was appalled at her outfit. We also noticed that there were many walks-ins, none of which were given hassle about not having “reservations.” The waitress was pleasant, she took our order and our appetizer was brought out almost immediately.
This is the point where all hell breaks loose. We waited an hour after our appetizer before the waitress came over to apologize for putting our order in AFTER a large party (who came in significantly later than we did) and explained our orders will be out soon. Since we never go out, we truly tried to be patient. Once the food finally arrived, my fiancé realized his steak was overwhelmingly undercooked. He asked for Medium, and it came out rare. After I took one bite of the slimiest mushroom I have ever put in my mouth, I actually physically started gagging at the table, terrified I might actually vomit.
When the waitress finally made her way back over to us, my fiancé explained to her that the steak was not how he wanted it, and the waitress tried to explain that the cut of the steak is so thick that his steak was “technically” medium. No. We asked to speak to the manager, who could not be any older than 19. She would not look us in the eye, kept tilting her head like a confused dog, and continually kept her eyes on the back, as though her friends were there and we were taking up her precious time. She condescendingly explained to us that our steaks should have been cut in half, and was irritated our waitress did not give us that option. She insistently kept asking if we wanted a free dessert, which at that point I couldn’t even look at food, and my fiancé was so angry he simply refused to eat anything else.
We never have this many problems, and we typically look past small things, but most managers at this point would apologize and offer to take his steak off the bill since he only ate one bite, instead, the manager picked our appetizer to “comp out” and asked us if we’d ever come back again. We both said, “Probably not,” and rather than trying to make amends, the manager said, “that’s fine, have a nice night.” Is that a joke? This place is ridiculous, I understand the food is decent, but the service is HORRIBLE, the management is HORRIBLE, and even though I attempted to get in touch with the owner, I have never heard back, and will forever tell everyone to avoid this place at all cost.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Birthday Dinner Spoiled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Admittedly, our food was good. However, our service and the management's poor attitude ruined our evening. We went to celebrate a birthday. Our first red flag should have been when our waitress mentioned " red chardonnay" when we ordered wine. Two of our wines went to the wrong person. The birthday gal ordered a lambchop but when it was delivered, it looked strange so she asked if it was really the lamb. The waitress's answer was "it was boneless lamb", so birthday gal had a bite and realized it wasn't lamb. However, another friend who had ordered one of the steaks had received the lamb and was wondering why it didn't taste like steak. So those two plates were swapped between the friends because the waitstaff didn't offer to rectify the error (totally unprofessional). Even tho we were all good friends, it is very unappetizing to have to eat off someone else's steak or lamb. However, the lamb was quite raw for the birthday girl (even one of the servers agreed) and was sent back to the kitchen. Instead of replacing that lamb chop for a new one, the same lamb chop was cooked to the appropriate doneness and returned to birthday girl with more apologies from the waitress. Needless to say, the evening was a disaster and the manager wanted nothing to do with us. As we were leaving and tried to express our distress to the manager, the only words he could muster and repeat rudely and dismissively were "have a good night". We will never return to the DC Steak House as long as that manager is still working there. Our birthday celebration was ruined.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chandler, United States
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Went in thinking we were in for a treat on Christmas eve, left wondering why I spent that kind of money! Our waitress was awesome, but after that I have nothing better to say. The waits were long, was seated at 5:55 and didn't receive entrée until 7:05 and we had reservations. The seating chairs were uncomfortable, especially having to wait an extra amount of time. The noise levels were high an obnoxious in the area we were seated. For someone who had reservations, we felt like we were put on the bottom of the list!! When the food did show up the tastes were average at best and portion size was not what we expected. I think if our meals would have matched the listed prices we might have overlooked the portion sizes. If you are looking for a special night out, don't spend it here, you will be disappointed!!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chandler, Arizona
“Good food, but service challenges”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went to DC Steak House for dinner with my family on a Sunday night. This place was packed! I am glad that I had a reservation as people were being turned away. Getting seated was a bit of an issue. Two parties that came in after us were seated before us. I had to speak to the hostess to ensure we got seated. The food was great we all enjoyed our meals. What I did not enjoy was a lot of additional charges. I did not find out the "small charge" until the bill arrived and no substitutions are allowed. So if you do not want a potato you have to pay extra for a vegetable. Even though they are the same price on the menu These extra charges increased my daughters meal almost 50% and this is not acceptable.

The food was good but the service issues may prevent me from returning.

• Visited October 2013