“It was nice....but” 3 of 5 stars

chicago
“It was nice....but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2005

First the pro's.....

This was without a doubt the most quiet hotel we have ever stayed at. I was impressed that this hotel even staffed a security guard at night. We stayed at Homewood Suites a week. It was also very clean. Housekeeping does a great job. The grounds are well kept and the pool area is very clean and we loved the hot tub even though it was rather small. The computer room worked fine for us. We appreciated the fact that they had a cd burner installed in the computer so we could dub our digital pics right onto disks that we bought at the local best buy. The food for breakfast was very good except for minor issues. The manager's specials that can fill you up. Above all to us we appreciated the quiet. We slept very good every night and literally never heard a peep from other rooms and there was always a full parking lot during our stay in late March. This hotel is located close-by to virtually everything. Minutes from Phoenix, Mesa, and Scottsdale. Local grocery store is a few blocks away - Bashas. Make sure you apply for a Bashas card to save a few cents on purchases.

Now the con's...

The pool area is not designed so one can get maximum sunshine. It was built on the ground floor with walls on every side. (three-story walls)Therefore the sun is blocked starting around 2:30pm everyday. If you want max sun from the pool area keep this in mind. The pool is also rather small - forget about actual swimming in it unless it is for small children. The water temp was fine as was the hot tub.

Our room did not have a fireplace. I did see rooms with fireplaces and those appeared a little bigger. Our room was adequate but rather small. If you have to move the end table in the living room in order to open the sofa bed do not be an idiot like me and put it in your path to walk. Ouuuch! My leg really hurt from that one! The kitchen did have everything we needed to prepare a meal except a stove. (huge microwave)

The exercise room was o.k. A treadmill, a stationary bike, and if I remember correctly a stairmaster. Also some hand weights but no free-weights, or weight machines. It was open 24 hrs which was an asset.

Another computer needs to be added to the computer room because some people tend to hog it while doing job applications.

The food service staff needs to smile more and for the life of me I dont know why establishments like this, with waffle makers, dont simply make the waffles for you. 80% of these waffles come out stuck to the waffle maker because us tourists didnt take waffle making 101. (Spray both sides). We would take side bets on who would have stuck waffles. Also did not appreciate the warm milk and water downed o.j. every morning. But yummy to the omlettes.

The front desk staff was very nice although when I inquired about restaurants in the area, I was told that the hotel didnt have a restaurant guide. 15 minutes later I found this very guide in a brochure in my room. Also the computer in the computer room provided me with one with a simple search of restuarants in Chandler.

And speaking of restuarants in Chandler...Oh my God...they are everywhere! From Mexican to Chinese and everything in the middle. Watch your calories and ride that treadmill because you cant blink without seeing a nice restaurant in this lovely city. Chandler is one of the nicest cities we have ever vacationed in. We loved the 4.5 drive to the Grand Canyon and if you have ever thought about seeing the Grand Canyon please do. It is one of the best bargains in the country. $20 will get a carload of people in. The grand canyon is absolutely breathtaking. And if you are adventoureous pls ride the shuttle bus to every point within the canyon. You literally look down over the canyon! We also saw 2 spring training games and we found Scottsdale Stadium nicer than HoHoCam. No batting pratice to the see the cubs!!! I guess they dont need batting pratice anymore without Sammy but that is for my next review on the Cubs! LOL

Overall this hotel worked for us but if you are looking for a little more room and a pool area in which to actually get a tan in the land of sun you might want to stay elsewhere.

Feel free to contact me about our vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2005

This is a fabulous place to stay. We were there for a wedding in March, and everyone we came in contact with was incredible. From the moment I made our reservations, we were treated with respect and made to feel comfortable. The breakfast/dining area was clean, the food great and a nice selection for adults and children. My kids loved the outdoor pool, and the evening Managers reception. The rooms are great- separate bedroom and TV for Mom and Dad, full kitchen area, etc. We would always choose to stay here!

• Stayed March 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2004

Great place, great value for the price, you get a full living room, kitchen and a king bed (with a ceiling fan!!!). The pool was extremely clean, the managers reception includes beer - great overall place to stay, I'll definitely return if in the Phoenix/Chandler area.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2004

i have stayed in this hotel at least two times in the last year. the staff members always remember my name, and that i am a returning guest. it makes me feel like im at home. i guess that is why thier logo is "your home away from home". the rooms are spacious, and comfortable, they offer a great breakfast buffet in the mornings, and from what i am told a good evening reception, unfortunately, i am never able to attend due to my work duties. i recommend this place to anyone that is travelling to the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2003

I stayed one night at the Chandler HWS. It has a very convenient location off I-10. I did have some business in downtown Phoenix and it's a straight shot up the interstate (about 30 minutes). Very friendly staff at the front desk and in sales. The full-sized suite and the full-sized breakfast are enough to make me return to this property.
Thanks Chandler HWS!

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Chandler? Share your experiences!