“Excellent staying” 5 of 5 stars

Sleep In & Save 20%!
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Chandler
“Excellent staying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel the week of March 2nd through March 7th. The staff was very friendly but staff members who made my stay above and beyond my expectations: Cory at the front desk checked me in Sunday night and still remembered my name on Wednesday. Raymond who shuttled me to work every morning and Jeff and Sam who picked me up in the evenings. Ashley at sales office who was at the front desk on Tuesday. Chantel my housekeeper who I never met but did little things while straightening out my room that shows she has great pride and cares about the people staying in rooms she cleans! I hope management gives these employees an extra special notice for the incredible service they provide. Thanks again Cory, Raymond, Jeff, Sam, Ashley at sales office and most of all Chantel. Room 443!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Gary L, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Chere - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, and I feel honored to have received both such a positive review, as well as your first review! I also wanted to thank you for individually recognizing the team members you met during your stay with us. They will certainly receive the recognition they so rightfully deserve.

I hope that when your travels bring you back to the Valley of the Sun that you will stay with us again.

Take Care,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Marin County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I am finding that I am getting pretty tired of Courtyard in general, so my review is partly based on that fact, though there are some unique elements that I will highlight as well.

I am here for my second night of two right now and am here not only for the room nights, but also for a meeting that I facilitated. The hotel itself is about average for a Courtyard at this point from my experience. There are at least as many I have stayed at that aren't as nice and about the equal amount that are nicer. The room probably matches that same description, though it seems a bit tired with the showerhead being older, the bed being pretty uncomfortable and some small things like the closet door difficult to open.

The walls are thinner then other Marriott brands, though this isn't as bad as some Courtyard properties.

The service is friendly overall (front desk staff, management, housekeeping).

For the event I was facilitating, though not coordinating, I arrived in the meeting room at 8am for an 8:30am start and found an empty room other than the tables set up for 28 people. I was only expecting 21, so it was set too far back and too close to the walls. By myself, I moved tables and chairs around to make it more comfortable. I then had to go out to the front desk and ask where my supplies were (flip chart easels, flip chart pads, etc.) that were dropped off the night before for me to use. They were still locked up somewhere. I also had to ask where the beverages were that were arranged (coffee, juice, water, etc.). They had to rush around to get that set up as if it was an afterthought. There were no notepads or pens set out, which is customary for other meetings I have had at different Courtyard properties. Fortunately, the front desk staff, A.V. staff, banquet staff and management were all respectful and attentive upon my request, though I shouldn't have had to corral them. The morning break items that were brought at 10am were not removed until after 1:15pm even though we took our lunch break from noon-1pm (so they came in and interrupted our meeting) and they never refreshed our pitchers of water that ran out shortly after lunch.

Between the hotel just being average for a Courtyard (not average compared to anything better) and the stressful impact of how they handled the conference aspects - I am being generous with my 3-star rating.

For context - I am a platinum elite, and very loyal, Marriott member who has traveled extensively to nearly all Marriott brands as well as had several meetings at various Marriott branded properties.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Gary L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share with me your recent experience you had while staying at our hotel and holding an event. I was dissapointed to hear that it was less than satisfactory.

I have shared your experience with our team, with the goal of "What could we have done differently?" "How could we have made this a more successful event?" I am also working with our Property Sales Coordinator, to ensure that he is viewing functions through the customers eyes, and what can be done proactively on his behalf to avoid what happened to your function.

As for the bed comfort, I am pleased to say that our Owners, partially due to feedback on sites such as TripAdvisor, have approved the purchase of new mattresses and box springs at our hotel, and we hope to have this completed by early Summer.

I appreciate the candid feedback, as it is sometimes only through hearing about our mistakes that we are able to make improvements.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies for your less than positive experience.

burbank, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Rooms are big. Hotel room and common areas clean. No free breakfast but there is a cafe in lobby that serves hot breakfast and lunch (maybe dinner? not sure) at reasonable prices. Just outside hotel is the chain cafe Paradise Bakery which is very good for sandwiches and salads and a comfortable place to eat. It's counter service, seat yourself, sort of place. Location is right off Interstate 10 and Ray Road. -- if you click on the current map on the Trip Advisor page it shows this restaurant close to the 202 and the Mall, which it is not.

Pool is small, did not use. it's about 25 minutes from the airport - so I wouldn't use this as an airport hotel necessarily. And there are strip malls next door with some of the usual chain stores should you need anything.

We stayed the night here for an event in Phoenix, would use it again unless I wanted to spend time at the hotel, in which case i would choose one with a bigger swimming pool. this one definitely felt like a business hotel, and in the morning the guests in the lobby reflected that.

Room Tip: I faced the East, the room was quiet. The South rooms faces the pool I think and the West rooms will...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Burbank Girl,

It is always such a pleasure to get a review from a seasoned traveler! I was happy to read that you found our hotel comfortable, clean, and convenient to many amenities including lots of great restaurants and shopping.

I also appreciate the heads up in regards to TripAdvisor showing our location incorrectly, and will partner with them to get that corrected.

I do hope that when your travels bring you back to the Valley of the Sun that you will chose our hotel again.

Veldhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed twice in this hotel in September and October while in business trip in Chandler.

Very similar characteristics to the many other Cortyard I've visited in the US ( I'm a Marriot Platinum member ) . Clean and convenient with nicely appointed rooms ( for the price paid ) .

What I absolutely miss in their room is a fridge !! When it's more than 100 F outside, you'd like to keep some cold drinks in the room, without going to the bar.

I had a chance to use the fitness center ( small-ish, but with new cardio machines and free weights ) and the nice outdoor pool.

I did not have breakfast in the hotel. It was not included in my company's special rate and usually I do not eat in the morning, I preferred to drive to the Starbucks very close by for a good espresso and cappuccino.

As usual, fast and easy check-in process and express check-out with the final bill slipped through the door ( and mailed to my e-mail ). Thumbs up !

I will keep using the Marriott chain hotels ( Courtyard or Residence Inn ) for my future trips to the US.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gary L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
I appreciate your taking the time as a seasoned traveler to share your experience with others! I concur with you that while the Fitness Center does have new equipment, it is a bit on the small side. A little tip for your next return to our hotel and for others reading this review. We do have an agreement and complimentary passes to Lifetime Fitness, located approximately 2 miles from our hotel, for those looking for a more extensive selection of workout equipment.

Thanks Again!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Would definitely stay at this hotel again. The staff is very friendly and considering how close it's located to restaurants, shops, highway, I found it to be very quiet. The room was clean and well designed with desk, chair, sofa, table, king size bed. I like the TV on a swivel, that's a nice feature that you don't find everywhere. I'm looking forward to The Bistro for coffee and breakfast tomorrow morning.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor, three rooms from the elevator. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with others! I was happy to read that you found your room to be very quiet and enjoyed the convenience of our location to nearby restaurants and shop! I do hope that your experience in the Bistro the next morning was as equally delightful.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel upwards of twice a month. I adore the personal service, which is really appreciated as a frequent business traveler who stays in hotels all over the country throughout the month. They know my name, my premier status and always personally greet me. All that said, the beds are some of the worst around (hard as a rock) and the pillows are horrible - flat as pancakes. You'd think for a company that is in the sleep business, they'd provide more comfortable fundamentals, e.g. bed and pillows. The last few times the beds have been so hard - like a palette of bricks - I've asked them to swap the bed, and I left with cricks in my neck that lasted for weeks. If mgmt actually tested the accommodations once and a while I don't think I'd be writing this. They make up in service where the comfort leaves off. I'm not sure how many more times I'll stay here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gary L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Phoenix / Chandler, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear jcw,

I am pleased to hear that you feel that our service shines and that the name recognition by the staff makes a difference!

I also TRULY appreciate your feedback regarding the beds, and we are working with ownership to get them replaced. In fact, it is our top request for Capital investment next year.

Please drop me a note prior to your next arrival at gary.lueck@marriott.com, as we have come up with a new topper that we can place on your bed. Hopefully this will make for a more pleasant stay.

Until next time,

Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is the ideal location for traveling to Chander, Ahwatukee, Tempe and Scottsdale. Great staff, close to shops, restaruants, airport and golf courses. Would definitely stay here again when travel calls. Breakfast was fast and hot - no complaints from us..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
dbrown49,

Thanks so much for your great comments! I agree with you that our hotel has a great central location to visit the various attractions and highlights that the beautiful Valley of the Sun has to offer. I was pleased to hear that your breakfast was fast and hot, and we look forward to hosting you again. Please come again soon, the weather is at it's best right now!

Gary Lueck

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Phoenix / Chandler? Share your experiences!