“Relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Chandler
Fakapuna
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here in April for the first time. The hotel, room, and casino are very clean and new in appearance, everything is updated. Check in was quick and the clerk was friendly. However there was a lady who I assume was a manager just staring at us and the clerk like we were stealing something, very unprofessional on her part. If she was training go about it in another way.

Rooms:
Pro: The room was very nice/modern and the bed was extremely comfortable.
Con: The shower had very little water pressure

Casino:
Pro: Very nice and modern.

Con: Very, very, very, very smokey!!! During our two days there we seen "maybe" two cocktail waitresses. There was only one electronic group Roulette machine which was always full and one electronic group Baccarat machine which I never seen one person at. Also the casino which I understand it was the weekend was extremely packed to the point it became uncomfortable.

Restaurant - Ling & Louie's:
Pro: Nice atmosphere and reasonable prices. Our lunch waiter was very nice and pleasant. Also you must try the Won ton Nacho plate, it is the BEST! Lunch time was our most pleasant experience.

Con: The hostess's for dinner were snoody recently out of high school types. Why restaurants employ these types of employees is beyond me, they are the first people to greet a customer upon entry. Anyway, for dinner I ordered the vegetable fried rice. It was disgusting, it tasted like the wok or grill it came off of and had a terrible grease smoky flavor. I did not eat it and the waitress did not offer to take it off the bill, I should have spoke up. I did not return it as I never do that for fear of retaliation on my food from the cook. It irritated us even more as we could hear the cooks laughing it up back there the entire time. They just put out disgusting food, hmmmm....I wonder why? The waitress we had that evening was OK but she just wanted to get out of there.

Restaurant - Cafe 24/7:
Pro: The prices for breakfast I thought were very reasonable. Breakfast was so so but nothing to complain about. The waitress was very friendly.

Con: You have to pay your bill upon leaving. I guess I am used to paying at the table these days.

Theater:
Pro: We seen Sin Bad Saturday evening as we wanted to see a show and I had no idea if he was funny or not. I have heard of him before but oh my. He had us rolling all show! I would see him again. We sat on the lower level but the upper level looked close and it doesn't look like there is a bad seat in the house. There are two bars that I seen very close by, I didn't get anything so no idea about the prices.

Con: The seats are the fold up chair type and not comfortable. They are also very close together so if you sit next to a larger person it might be uncomfortable.

Pool:
Pro: Nice large pool with bathrooms on site. There is also a full bar with food and the prices are again very reasonable.

Con: I have no idea whoever allowed the landscaper to put up palo verde trees that surround the pool. There were yellow flowers everywhere which I suppose looks nice but no so much when it is in the pool, drinks ,and food.

Overall I liked the place and will be back. There are just some things that are so common sense that that are missed that you wonder what happened while putting this place together.

***I must mention one other thing, the gentlemen at the box office that I called from my room and then later seen at the box office was extremely friendly and accommodating to my wife and I. If there were more people like this involved in the service trade the world would be a better place. I wish I could remember his name but he deserves a raise!!! The only reason I am rating the service so hi is because of him alone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WildHorsePass, Manager at Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Wow - thank you for the detailed review! We are passing along all your comments to the appropriate managers. We are always seeking to improve and your comments are very helpful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We found a great deal for this hotel on Living Social - a non-weekend rate of $59. It was a steal for this beautiful hotel. The room was beautiful, the bed a comfortable memory foam with a ton of pillows, and a clean bathroom made it a great stay. We had great views of the desert and pool from the fourth floor as well, and had just a nice relaxing stay. My only complaint is that for being a non smoking hotel, the smell of smoke is overwhelming. The minute you step into the hotel, even up the halls to your room (no matter what floor), and permeating even into your room is a strong smell of smoke. Plus, we went to enjoy the pool and relax, but there were a lot of smokers lounging in the pool area which cut our visit short. Disappointing that they would allow smoking in the pool area. Other than that, this hotel was definitely worth the stay, especially at that low price!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor to enjoy the great desert views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WildHorsePass, Manager at Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and we're glad you took advantage of the Living Social deal! While the hotel is smoke-free, smoking is allowed in the pool and casino areas. We have an advanced air filtration system and strive to keep the air fresh throughout the property, and we do get some very positive comments about the clean air in the hotel. Even with these systems in place, we are always updating our filter system and your feedback helps support that. We hope you'll visit again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Hubby and I just spent 3 perfect nights here and loved every minute of it. Soothing, peaceful and healing are the feelings we had at this resort. Walk the 2.5 mile path in the desert and learn from the signs along the way about the Native American culture. Highly recommend eating at Kai Restaurant. Very expensive, very classy, and the most creative cuisine I've ever experienced. Within 10 minutes of returning to our room, a note from our server was slipped under our door, telling us what a pleasure it was to serve us. Thanks to Bryant for providing excellent poolside service to us! The one slightly negative experience we had was at their main restaurant. We always had to wait for someone to appear at the hostess desk to help us. Other than that, this resort is 15 min. from Sky Harbor Airport, but is on the Indian Reservation, so you feel like you're a million miles from everywhere. This is a Spa Resort, so combine that feeling with the Native American influence and you have one VERY SPECIAL place! Will definitely stay here on our next AZ vacation!!! Oh...almost forgot...the brand new Outlet Mall just opened a couple miles away. It's upscale, so enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013
Sierra Vista AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

the location was the most convenient for our trip. We had tickets to shows Friday and Saturday nights at the Ovations Showroom, so staying at the Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino was our best bet. This was our second stay here - for same reason - to see a show.

We were in room 205, a double with a balcony. We had to wait to check in as our room was not ready when we arrived. The view was of the pool area was pleasant enough. The balcony area was nice but there were no cushions on the already low-slung patio chairs. We didn't realize they should have cushions until we saw identical chairs the second day on a public balcony on the second floor located near the hotel lobby. Those chairs had cushions, but the chairs were still very low to the ground - difficult for someone like me with bad knees to get down and up again.

Our room was very small. Beds are comfortable enough, but again I dislike the way they are made with a flat sheet on the bottom. There was also some kind of thick rubbery-feeling mattress pad on my bed. This was not comfortable, and made for extra warm sleeping and noisy movements. Adjusting the A/C to cool the room did not seem to work. We never got the temp to go below 73 even when adjusting the thermostat to 69.

The cleanliness of the room was a bit lax. There were a few crumbs on the desk area, plenty of dusty spots, and the corners of the bathroom floors were not as clean as they could be.

We had very noisy neighbors our second night (not the hotel's fault, but still annoying). They slammed doors over and over (just entering and exiting the entry door), and at least 4 of them came out on the balcony next to ours. They didn't know we were sitting quietly out on ours around 11 PM when they came out, talking in loud voices and drinking. As they could not see us, they continued to carry on conversations in loud voices, and kidded about violating the no-smoking policy of the rooms and the balconies, and flushing cigarette butts down the toilet to get rid of the evidence.

And as far as the smell of cigarettes, it is very strong in the hotel hallways, and leaks into the rooms even though the entire hotel wing is supposed to be smoke-free. Wish there was some way that could be prevented as it makes for some very stale air.

I think the prices for the accommodations are high for what you get, but I guess they are the going rates for the area. Our only reason for staying at this hotel is because of the shows in the showroom. If we come to more shows in the future, we may check out other hotels in the area and then just drive over to WHP.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WildHorsePass, Manager at Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your repeated patronage and are glad you enjoy the shows at Ovations. The cleanliness and maintenance issues you mentioned are unacceptable and we are redoubling efforts to ensure these issues are not repeated. Even though you mentioned your noisy neighbors are not the hotel's fault, if management is alerted, we can easily encourage noisy guests to use the public areas of the hotel and casino, which are open 24 hours, until they are ready to quiet down so other guests can get a good night's sleep. We hope all of our guests will let us know if they have problems with neighbors. We will be contacting you personally and do hope you will stay with us again.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way to Northern Arizona for a weekend get away. The best room rate came to about $180 for a Thursday night using an AAA discount. The standard king room was very small and had a view of the freeway, but the room was clean.
We were very disappointed with the room for this price. We ate dinner at the Chinese restaurant- Ling & Louie's- DON"T GO THERE! The service was extremely slow, the food horrible- no flavor and poor presentation, the plates and silverware dirty and really bad choices on the menu. We were so sorry we ate here.
The casino was smoky and crowded and not as nice as we had hoped. We will not stay here again. Slots are very tight and table games had no open seats.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NEW YORK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

For people who have a young family----it's simple--GO TO HARRAHS AK CHIN it's right down the state highway ( I think it's 375?? or something like it---300 something--but it's 30 minues away) it has a better pool--by far--it's got a great--really great entertainment center that is smoke free and very kid and young person friendly---with some fine places to eat simple--but very good food-----there's even small rooms for kids birthday parties it's not close to the big maalls--but is down the road from wal mart----- the rooms? in the new tower? are so small--you have to step out side to change your mind--and they smeel like smoke----BUT! The older two story section is far better--especially for families-- I HAVE BEEN TO BOTH HOTELS Both actual casinos are both average at best and both are very smokey ak chin has a 10 plex modern multi plex cinema, and a 20 lane modern bowling alley surrounded by large screen telivisions with all sports of sports,soccer, baseball, basketball--all at the same time---it has an excellant sound system with great music...it also has billiards and darts and air hocky and table soccer--it also has ice cream and coffee shops and an outdoor eatery with a simple waterfall---in comparrison---WILD HORSE has a few smokey bars with some good adult enterainment--wildhorse pool is as good as any small town community pool---it"s next to the parking lot--ak chin"s pool is far far better-- WILD HORSE HAS A SHUTTLE TO TWO OTHER LOCAL CASINOS

Room Tip: ROOMS AWAY FROM THE PARKING LOT HAVE GREAT VIEWS get the food at the cafe 21 and just bring it to yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Even though it was a Thurday night the place was quite busy. There still was plenty of machines play and I liked the food court for a bit to eat. I was a little disappointed that there weren't more adult beverage servers coming around like Vegas does. The room we stayed was nice and looked recently updated. The one problem was there wasn't anywhere to plug in the coffee maker except on the floor and no place for two people to sit and eat breakfast. Only one person could sit at the desk however the breakfast was fantastic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!