The Bad: 1. The entire hotel has a slight, but terrible odor that reminds you of a broken sewer or of (I'm sorry, but this is exactly what it smelled like)... someone breaking wind. I noticed it the moment I first entered the elevator, and thought that perhaps a guest who had been in the elevator prior to me had a gas problem. But, not so-- I had to leave my windows open (thank goodness they opened) 24 hrs a day for my entire stay, with the A/C on full blast (in January) just to try and combat the odor. I also used up several perfume samples I happened to have in my purse--I sprayed perfume on the light bulbs to generate some pleasant aroma, in an attempt to cover up the pervasive "sewer" smell.
2. There were no pay-per-view movies available at all!!! This is my one treat I indulge in when traveling, and I was very disappointed that I only was able to watch whatever happened to be on TV. I have never run into this situation before in any hotel, and I travel at least once a month. I was excited to try this hotel, since it was very nearby where I needed to visit, and this was just unbelieveable.
3. During my 5-night stay, there was one day upon which I received NO maid service at all. I had thought perhaps it was due to the fact that I had departed my room rather late that day--at about 1pm, but I did notice that the maids were busy cleaning other rooms on this floor at the time I left for the day, so I never did understand why my room was not attended to.
4. Room service stops at 10:30pm; if I am ordering room service, it is because I don't want to go get food somewhere because it is too late to be going out--I had to get McDonald's every night of my stay since I returned to my room at about 11pm each night.
5. The view: Across the street is a lovely dirt lot and on the other street is some sort of utillity plant. I was on the 6th floor, but overlooked the roof of some part of the hotel below, and was treated to the sound of the loud machines that operated the air conditioning for the hotel day and night. (Which made the fact that I had to leave the windows open 24/7 even worse.) I understand that the utility plant and dirt lot are not the fault of the hotel, but since I was staying on the top floor, and the hotel was practically empty during my entire stay (including over New Year's Eve), I would expect that I could have been given a nicer room location with perhaps a better view.
6. The "Gift Shop" with "artisan gifts" was nothing but a corner with some magazines; drugstore-type items for sale; some muffins in a case, and coffee/soft drinks for sale. The website makes it sound a great deal better than it really is. I was hoping for some t-shirts or local trinkets, etc., but not so.
1. The staff was very friendly and pleasant each time I passed through the hotel, which I enjoyed very much.
2. The hotel interior was nice and quiet.
3. The "Executive Floor" (6th) has a wonderful lounge where you can pick up soft drinks on the "honor system," and enjoy snacks, etc. I noticed a computer and printer there as well, although I didn't need to use it.
4. When I registered online, I opted for an upgrade if available, and was pleased to find that when I checked in, I did receive an upgrade to the Executive Floor and also to free internet. There was a fee for the upgrade, but the fee was less than if I had registered for those amenities originally.
5. Very clean, new, beautiful interior and rooms, wonderful bed and large upgraded bathroom. It did take me about 10 minutes of searching to find the toilet paper roll, however, which was a hoot!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Please accept our sincere thank you for taking the time to comment so thoroughly about your experience at your Hilton in Chandler, AZ. We especially appreciate you bringing in the New Decade while at our hotel! Great beginnings begin from great locations.... :-)
We are thrilled that you were able to experience so many of the great amenities at our hotel... our physical product, our people, our hospitality, and our willingness to go whatever mile it takes to bring you the experience you deserve.
We do have occasional "dairy cow" aroma that floats in the direction of Chandler from the one and only remaining dairy farm about 3 miles away. Fortunately, the atmospheric conditions have to be aligned for this to happen and it is less and less frequent. Please, please...the next time you are in the mood for a late night snack, simply ask us. We can always create a simple sandwich or run up to McDonald's for you.
We hope to see you on your next trip. Oh, we do have entertainment beginning January 13th and every Wednesday thereafter in the R Bar... our unique, classy martini & wine bar experience.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.