“A spectacular vacation at Carefree Resort & Villas” 5 of 5 stars

Carefree Resort & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   37220 Mule Train Road, Carefree, AZ 85377   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Philadelphia
“A spectacular vacation at Carefree Resort & Villas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

My family and I enjoyed our first vacation to Arizona during the last week of July. I also wanted to be able to tour a resort in the States for Dream Makers Vacation Services in order to assist clients looking for a getaway in the States. The vacation was fantastic from start to finish and I can’t say enough about Phoenix and its surrounding areas.

Arrival: We flew non-stop on Southwest airlines out of Philadelphia. Southwest is one of the only carriers that fly non-stop out of Philadelphia. The plane left on time and arrived 20 minutes early at Phoenix’s airport. From there we picked up our rental car and headed on our way to our resort. The Phoenix airport is laid out very well and there is staff everywhere to help you if needed. I would fly in and out of this airport again without any hesitation.

Resort: We stayed at the Carefree Resort and Villas located in Carefree, Arizona. The resort is located 35 miles north of the Phoenix Airport and just outside of Scottsdale, Arizona. We chose this resort because of its location (the mountain scenery is awe-inspiring) and the value that the resort had to offer in the summer months.
Accommodations: Our room…well suite of choice was the Two Bedroom Grand Villa Suite. It was simply the best accommodations I have ever stayed in during a vacation or any other time away from home. Upon walking into the suite you will be completely blown away with the size, layout, and overall aesthetics of this suite. The suite itself is over 2200 square feet! Yes, 2200 square feet. This suite could rival many houses that people live in on a daily basis! It features 2 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. The bathrooms are fantastic, featuring granite countertops with dual sinks, spa tubs, and separate walk in shower. There is a full living room which featured an adobe style fireplace, sofa, and 2 plush oversized chairs. The dining room in the suite is also great. The large table sits under 2 sky lights and the natural light that shines down into the dining area is wonderful. The full kitchen in the two bedroom grand villa suite is also a sight to behold. It boasts granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances (all of which are “full size” appliances), double sinks and service ware for 6 people. All of the rooms (bed, living room, and kitchen) are large and spacious. Closet space is abundant everywhere with the bedrooms having large walk-in closets to hold just about everything needed. Finally, both bedrooms have a large balcony (or patio) with the master bedroom sharing the deck (or patio) with the living room. The deck provided amazing views of the mountainside and beautiful landscape of Arizona. One important item to note…being as we travelled during the hottest time of the year in Arizona, air conditioning was very important. The central air conditioning worked flawlessly in the suite and we never had an issue maintaining a comfortable environment during our stay.

Amenities: Carefree Resort and Villas has 2 large pools with each having its own hot tub as well. One of these pools is located in the Villa section, providing anyone that is staying in the Villa section a pool very close to their suite. The resort also has tennis courts, activities desk, onsite glass studio, fitness center, a luxurious spa, cooking classes, campfire storytelling, 2 restaurants, and 1 café. There is plenty to do if you choose to stay at the resort everyday…there is no way you will be bored at Carefree Resort and Villas!

Staff: The staff at Carefree Resort and Villas is top notch! Every staff member I encountered always had a smile and a pleasant greeting. The staff was always asking about how we were and if there was anything we needed during our vacation. They were approachable, cordial, genuine, and a pure joy at this resort! Two staff members worthy of extra praise are Yvonne in the reservations department and Karima who worked at the front desk. Every time I spoke to Yvonne, her level of customer service and friendly nature was outstanding. Karima was simply amazing! She went out of her way to provide amazing customer service. No request was too big or too small for her to personally handle. Her overall knowledge of Arizona was fantastic and her recommendations enhanced our vacation even more. She always had a smile on her face and was quick to offer assistance whenever requested. Both of these women are true assets at this resort and I hope you get the pleasure of meeting both of them when you vacation there!

Excursions: While in Arizona my family and I were able to enjoy various day trips that took us throughout Phoenix and its surrounding areas. We enjoyed the Phoenix Zoo, the Desert Botanical Gardens, a wonderful water park, and an Arizona Diamondbacks baseball game. Finally, we booked an awesome Gold Mine Tour through Rackensack Canyon Tours. I cannot recommend this tour enough! It was one of our highlights while vacationing in Arizona. The tour was fantastic, from start to finish. Our guide was great and this tour should not be missed if you are vacationing in Arizona.

Final thoughts: Our time spent in Arizona was nothing short of fantastic! Carefree Resort and Villas is a great place to stay while staying in Phoenix and/or its surrounding areas. The resort has plenty to do, staff is very accommodating, and the villas are spectacular. You will not be disappointed if you have the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort and I am sure the staff will impress you as they did my family. I highly recommend spending some time at this resort and look forward to sending my clients here to experience this amazing resort!

If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
West Mids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Very very hot at this time of the year and as a consequence the hotel was rather quiet which was great for a slow start to the holiday after flying in to Phoenix from the UK. Our reservation was not recorded but fortunately as the hotel was not full there was no problem.

Big room and well maintained and equipped. The pool was fabulous and the only way to keep cool and we had it pretty much to ourselves because of the low occupancy. Used the main restaurant for breakfast where service was good and quality high and good value. Also ate at the saloon bar, very much a sport bar but good value and good food all the same.

Carefree itself a rather modern desert small town with a few restaurant and gift/souvenir shops but many closed for peak summer period - very hot out and about! Cave Creek much more authentic.

In summary, great hotel in good quiet location, But if you want to tour the area and do anything very active don't chose mid July

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Surprise, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I have been to this resort before in one of the villas. It was very nice.....but, I asked for a room with a view and didn't get it and had other issues that went unanswered. I decided to give them another chance since the room service food first time around was wonderful and this trip was going to be and "in room" kind of stay. This time the desk staff was snotty and too young for such a position. When checking in I should have paid attention to the guys disappointment as he was checking out and should have left right then. But, I couldn't since this was booked through Hotwire and couldn't get a refund. This time I got one of the "hotel" rooms and it wasn't any nicer than a "chain" hotel. Once you get there the "hotel fee" that Hotwire doesn't tell you about to "use" all the "resort" amenities is ridiculous. It covers cleaning the room, use of the pool and fitness room, internet access, shuttle service, coffee in the room!, newspaper, etc, etc etc. Now I may be stupid but isn't that what I'm already paying for in the price of the room "at a resort" !!! Give me a break ! The newspaper isn't delivered to your room and if they run out - oh well for you. The tv was small and didn't have the "channel guide" so you could'nt even see what was available to watch/no tv guide in the room. They couldn't find a master remote to fix that problem. The shower head flow was ridiculous and needed a good dip in CLR to clear it up. (something the earlier mentioned guest complained about too.) The room service menu was hardly a menu so I had to leave the room to eat - quite a pain considering I wanted a solitary, quiet weekend away and the availabilty of quality room service. Because it was off season I only paid $$ but I sure wouldn't pay any more than that for "their resort quality." They had their chance with me. I won't be back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Cave Creek
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We were so excited to stay one night, just down the street from where we now live at this old icon of a hotel that I used to stay when I was a kid visiting from NY with my family. We got there and was pleasantly surprised that our room at been upgrade to a casita. The room is enormous and had a fabulous jacuzzi tub built for two right in our room!
But the thing we were so excited about was going for a night time swim and relaxing. We got out there and there was a giant screen playing an old cartoon and a pool full of kids at 9pm at night!!!! The sound was so loud that we couldn't even hear each other talk. I'm only glad our room wasn't by the pool!
The rooms were a bit dated and really could use some freshening up and we didn't get to see a regular room but the size of the casita was amazing!
The next day, we wanted to go for a swim and relax by the pool. Now we like a party like everyone else but that was not the purpose of this over night stay. The pool was PACKED with people drinking and VERY loud music playing. So, once again, we packed up our things and went back to our lovely room where we had peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

I recently visited The Careefree Resort and Villas and it was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Me and my companion still think about our stay at this resort and we can't wait to go back. It exceeded our expectations. We would definitely visit again. The staff at this resort along with everyone we came across during our stay was pleasant, cheerful, and friendly. The food was great too. That is what made our stay so great. The resort itself is AMAZING beause of the DESERT ambiance. It also has many beatuiful views from the nightly campires, star lite skies and the mountians as well as many excursions and actvities to keep you busy on and off the resort premises. I would definitely recommend the Carefree Resort and Villas to anyone who wants to meet wonderful people, have a carefree vacation, and enjoy a breath taking desert environment.

Also, you can go horse back riding, go on an African Safari, go hiking and you can also go to visit the Grand Canyon.These are some of the things we did off the premises. My companion and I also enjoyed sitting by the open campfires and watching the star lite skies at night at this resort. There is a Desert Cruise Actvitiy Guide that you can order from this resort. The guide is free of charge. This guide helped us tremendously to prepare for all of our wonderful memorable actvities we did throughout our stay. It is a MUST have. You can get this once you get to the resort , but it is Better to have the Desert Cruise Activity Guide in advance. It is a very detailed Guide that provide you with information about what this resort offers. I give the Carefree Resort and Villas two thumbs up!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Desert Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My wife and I were in need of some alone time to rest and recharge our batteries. The time spent at the Carefree Resort was just what the Doctor ordered. The room was spacious and comfortable, the pool..WOW...the resturaunt was excellent and the staff as friendly and helpful as you could wish. We will be back!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I recently stayed and the Carefree resort and truly enjoyed my stay right from check inn the agent was a pleasure she was very helpfull and was very professional I beleive her name was Karima? Also the rooms were very clean, very spacious, and the level of service overall at the property exceeded my expectations! The pool service was great all the ladies and gentlemen engaged with me espically Jimmy and the other gentlemen I can't think of his name but he was originally from NY! They were both very attentive and helpfull! I would highyl recommend staying at the Carefree Resort and Villias if you want an experience and not just to spend a night in a hotel room!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!