“Nice location, nice rooms...but...” 3 of 5 stars

Carefree Resort & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   37220 Mule Train Road, Carefree, AZ 85377   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Pittsburgh
“Nice location, nice rooms...but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

We attended a family wedding that was being held at the resort. The location is beautiful and I had no complaint about my room. The pool area was really nice, and the spa was nice, but small. There are a few cosmetic maintenance issues that give the impression that they are not on top of their game in some things. Customer service was a mixed bag. We got into our rooms immediately, but others in our party had to wait hours to check in. On Friday night, members of the wedding party and several family members gathered on the outdoor patio to have some drinks (about 15 people). The waitress was downright angry that people were ordering drinks...and it was only 9 p.m.! Her hostility was obvious and uncomfortable. On the other hand, the staff who worked the wedding reception on Saturday evening could not have been more accommodating! The staff who handled our group of 25 for breakfast the next day were also wonderful! And the breakfast buffet was very good, too. Our group rate was super, and I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The property location is difficult to beat. The town of Carefree is wonderful. The people are generally friendly. That's where it ends . I have never been confronted with so many difficulties...and degradation. It's a shame. The facility is actually better than what I'm reading in these reviews. Although lots of them are 1 review members. Hmm

I left feeling like I was in Rod Serling's House. I felt bad for my guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The experience at Carefree Resort was a 10 from check in to check out. The Restaurant food was wonderful. The room was very large. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The housekeeper found my rings and turned them in to the supervisor!!! Add HONEST to the friendly staff. They mailed my rings to me the next day and I was so grateful. I would return to the resort any time I need a stay while in AZ.

Room Tip: Loved the down stair room patios that looked over the pool. If you are traveling with others, it m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
East Bergholt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here on two desperate occasions. Initially for 3 nights and came back two days later as we liked the hotel and area so much.
Very friendly and helpful staff. I especially thought the lady on concierge was amazing and not only helpful but interested in you as a person which was lovely. She remembered us when we came for our 2nd visit and enquried about our trip to Tucson etc. The rooms are huge and very comfy beds. Good size bathrooms. In room coffee making facility which was great in the mornings. Our first room had a fridge and our second room which was of a higher category did not! Loved the in room iron and board. We only ate in the restaurant once for lunch and the service and food were fabulous. Very good waiter and went out of his way to find a Pepsi for me rather than a coke! We loved to pool. Very clean and well organised. The gardens were fabulous too.
Only downside for us was the room cleaning was on the slow side. Some days the room would only be made up late afternoon.

Would highly recommend this hotel to couples, Families and business folk.
Easy distance to Carefree/Cave Creek/Scottsdale/airport.

• Stayed April 2013
Caledonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at this resort for a business conference. Rooms are quite large, but very dark. My bed was rock hard, but other companions said theirs were ok. The room appeared to be clean, however the drain plug in the sink would not open. I looked at it and it was not hooked up to the drain lever underneath. I pulled the drain out and set it on the counter so I could use the sink, thinking the maid would notice it and have it repaired. It sat there for 3 days. The shower had very low water pressure but was good size and convenient. The walls were very thin, you could hear the guest in the next room use the bathroom. The hall door had a 3/4 inch gap at the floor, so you heard every noise made in the hall. The food there was good, and reasonably priced. Nice pool area. The front desk staff seemed to like to stay in the room behind the desk, so you needed to attract their attention in order to check in and out. The evening bartender was friendly and accommodating.
This is a nice facility that could be a super place to stay with a little attention to detail.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I attended a Friday business meeting staying over one night and the experience was excellent. The services was very friendly. My room was large and well appointed. The food excellent was excellent. The business accommodations and the meeting rooms help large audiences. Finally, there were fun activities for all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

First time to Carefree, AZ. Loved the area. Would definately come back to see/do more. The "resort" was OK at best. The front line staff were all really great and friendly and made our stay comfortable and homey. Audrey, William, Al, Scotty, Sarah, Carol, Lynn and the many others that helped make our stay fun and relaxing really are the heart of this hotel. So much that I know them all by name! As others have said though, service is slow and they are definately understaffed or the staff is under utilized. We had some issues with our room and were able to upgrade after a few nights - not sure whether to blame Expedia or the Resort. The management there seems to be lacking. All these great staff and they just need some great leadership to make this place amazing. The resort itself could use an upgrade. The door handle in our room kept falling off. The steam room in the spa wasn't working. The furnishings in some of the rooms are old and dated. The overall cleanliness was in question. Make up on my duvet cover. Sugar I accidently spilled on the carpet that was never vacuumed up. Old gum stuck to tables in pool area. But again, the people made the experience. I can't wait to go back next year and see all my new friends!

Room Tip: Ask for a North Facing Pool view Room. Or North Facing Mountain View Room. Request a fridge in adv...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!