“Average Experience - Loved the location” 3 of 5 stars

Carefree Resort & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   37220 Mule Train Road, Carefree, AZ 85377   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Average Experience - Loved the location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was our third trip to Phoenix for baseball spring training and my husband and I decided we wanted out of the city and go to a more laid back area. After some research we came across Carefree. The town is wonderful, relaxing, good shopping, awesome food and carefree. We would come back to this town in a heart beat. We are looking at it for retirement.

Our resort was nice but is in need of some changes. Our room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was also very nice but needed better lighting. Dark. The grounds were beautiful and pool was heated. We also enjoyed talking with the staff, they were great at giving us directions and general small talk.

What it needs is this, everyday all times of the day the water pressure fluctuation and the pipes by our room made this crazy noise. (#1 worst thing) The ice machine was another annoyance. Our room was the last one 267. Walls seem a bit thin because we heard our neighbors talk and talk and talk. The outlets in the bathroom did not work. Make sure you put the do not disturb sign on your door, we made that mistake once. A knock on the door at 7:45am was all it took. Lastly, keep your patio door closed because the do yard work very early also, another morning wake up call at 7:30 am to the lawn being mowed.

This resort has a lot of potential with the right care. I hope that they are able to invest more into the rooms and other condo's that just sit empty. I will keep this resort on my list because I feel that every place needs a second chance. With that said, I really hope this resort continues their awesome customer service and continues to improve a gem of a resort that could be a diamond.

Room Tip: Not by major doors or pool. Can be loud because of the shape of resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I love to stay here for our anniversary the first week of April. The location is so relaxing. The weather at this time of year is always perfect for hanging poolside and hiking Pinnacle Peak nearby. The rooms have been redone and for this stay, we got a free upgrade to a King Deluxe room on the first floor in front of the botanical garden and just steps from the pool. The room was huge and beautiful and we loved sitting on our patio overlooking the cacti and desert trees filled with happy birds drinking our coffee in the am and our wine in the evening. These rooms are very soundproof. We never heard our neighbors above or next door the whole time. The service at the hotel is always pleasant and very good. We had lunch by the pool one day and the prime rib special on Saturday night. The food is good and reasonably priced. Be sure to check out nearby Pinnacle Peak. The trail (out and back two hour hike) is beautiful in the springtime!

Room Tip: If you want to hang out by the pool, try to get a room in the main building. Do not stay in the Vil...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

One of the worst experiences I've had and the staff made it worse. I left my engagement ring (which originally belonged to my mother-in-law who passed away) in the toiletries basket in the bathroom (dumbest mistake of my life.) When I realized it was missing, I remembered exactly where I left it, called the hotel and returned to the hotel to claim it. The hotel manager couldn't find the ring and said she had just spoken to the housekeeper and she did not see it either. When I asked if the housekeeper could come to the room to help explain how she cleaned out the tray, she said no. When I asked to look through trash/laundry, she said they did. When the police arrived 10 minutes later to speak with the housekeeper, the manager said she went home for the day. I have tried to work with the hotel with the help of police for 3 months now and I continue to find unhelpful and unfriendly people. Aside from the loss of my ring, I found the rooms to be dated and the food mediocre at best. Also, the lack of security is discomforting. I would never recommend this place to anyone- in fact, I will warn people to stay away!!!

Room Tip: Don't book here, but if you HAVE to stay here and you are a single lady traveling alone, ask abo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for Spring Break. We stayed for 4 nights. We booked through AAA. The price seemed reasonable given the time of year initially. Room did not contain microwave that we were promised. Resort employee blamed AAA and said "they do not know what they are doing." Also my final bill included added charge of $17/ night "resort fee." If this is a "resort" it is the worst one I have ever stayed at. I hardly consider a swimming pool a resort. Also the toilets are very loud. You can here all your neighbors flushing all hours of the day. Bottom line the location is great. The room is average. The "resort" is poor. The staff at the desk is rude and unconcerned.

Room Tip: Spend a lot of money to rent a condo.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I loved this resort -- one of the best I've experienced at such a reasonable price. The grounds are beautifully & naturally planted with so many amazing desert cacti. The pool & nearby jacuzzi were wonderful (great lounge chairs) & enhanced with a nearby waterfall & stream running thru more desert fauna. The standard king room was much larger than expected, attractively decorated, the bath great & the king bed was incredible. We chose the mountain view (I see plenty of pools in FL) & watched quail & other birds from our balcony. Loved wandering the nearby towns of Carefree & Cave Creek, horseback riding thru desert & mountain scenery, all covered in spring flowers -- breathtaking. This was a perfect time of year to visit AZ & we hope to return.

Room Tip: Second floor standard king room (2209) was very large & beautifully appointed with great bathroo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fountain Hills, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to Burger night at the Lariat Grill in Carefree on their Thursday night special. The menu consists of a burger with cheese and bacon and all the fixings with/fries/sweet potato fries or onion rings and includes either a beer or glass of wine for under $10. We didn't have reservations but the manager was very accomodating and we were seated quickly in the dining room of the resort. Much more upscale than we expected and the waitress was there immediately and attentive through our meal. The burgers were cooked to perfection and so delicious we will definitely return. Other specials are available throughout the week and if anything like their burgers would be worth the drive to Carefree!

Room Tip: Will make a reservation next time we go now that we know how busy the resort restaurant is.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Shelburne, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I needed to find a place near Carefree on short notice to visit a client. This place turned out to be perfect in many ways. The hotel has some history to it, once having been a remote retreat for Hollywood actors in the 1950's. it is not luxurious by today's standards but very comfortable. The rooms are quite large and the grounds are very nice. It was the perfect place for my business stay...

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michael B, Manager at Carefree Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
I am glad we made your business trip more enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!