“Extremely Disappointing and lied about pricing.” 1 of 5 stars

Carefree Resort & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   37220 Mule Train Road, Carefree, AZ 85377   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Carefree
El Paso, Texas, United States
“Extremely Disappointing and lied about pricing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I made the reservation for New Years in August knowing that I may never have the chance to visit Scottsdale again. I checked many hotels and settled on Carefree based on ammenities and price. First off, they did not say they were open for animals anywhere that I saw, but multiple rooms around us had dogs staying. I'm extremely allergic to pet hair and had such a sore throat that i lost my voice. I ended up taking Benadryl and slept through my second evening from staying in a pet friendly room. We also requested a mountain view (4 months in advance) but got a view of picnic tables and the parking lot instead. The bed and pillows were both extremely uncomfortable and obviously had not been replaced in some time. They boast multiple bars and restaurants but had only 1 opened and that closes at 10pm. Since Carefree is so far from anything else in Scotsdale it's too far to go out for drinks and drive to the hotel, but there is no bar to end the night at there either. The worst part is that they charged us for ammenities like microwave and refrigerator that we didn't get and had to dispute. Once looking at the receipt, we noticed that the price charged was not the same as the confirmation emailed to me by them. When I showed the desk attendant she told me "The rates change daily" as the only explanation. There was also a resort fee that was not listed on the confirmation. All in all, this hotel was nothing special and the service made it a horrible choice for our only trip to Scotsdale.

379 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This dying resort was deserted during high season for a reason. The food was awful. The spa was small, cramped, and not even friendly. The rooms are not anything special, and we would have had more amenities in a holiday inn. Everything was terribly overpriced, clearly they think that they are competing with "real" resorts in setting their fees. And to make matters even worse, they over-charged us by $326 just for using a debit card, and rudely informed us that it would take 7-10 business days to refund us for the over-charge. Are you kidding me????? Let the sands of the desert overtake this place and erase it from the map.

Room Tip: To find a good room, choose a different resort.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Carefree hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

A little late in my review; perhaps I'm very post-jet lag, but we stayed here on our first American holiday (vacation you call it). We travelled from Melbourne Australia, our first night was here, we found the rooms clean and pleasant, staff were fine, the pool was great (boy it was hot), and the steak I ordered that night, simply the best - and the beer, well, it was fine as well. Kids loved the pool, we used Expedia, and no issues what-so-ever, would love to stay again!.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I should have known that I was in for trouble when the bookings desk kept me waiting 10 minutes when I called from overseas to book a room for a conference. I specifically requested a refridgerator as I have special dietary requirements and I was told that it would definitely be included in the room. When I arrived there was no fridge and none was provided when I asked politely in person.

The woman at the Concierge desk (short fair hair) was very grump and unhelpful. When I asked if by chance they had a suitcase weigher so that guest could check whether their luggage was over limit or not she just snapped "no". Several guests remarked at dinner about her manner.

In the morning you could look forward to being woken up by a guy with a leaf blower by the pool. What's wrong with a quiet broom ? The blood marks on the net curtains were a worry too.

But the worst part was the renovations in the hallway outside outside rooms. You could look forward to dust and noise for a week. I won't return to this "resort"

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We were visiting family for the holidays and needed a place to stay, so we didn't really use the full resort during our stay. When I checked in and went to the room, the upper floor of the building we were staying in was under renovation. For a full day, rolls of carpet and padding were lying on the sidewalk to the parking lot. I got the the room and could not open the door. I walked back to the front desk and they sent someone from engineering, who was able to open the door by throwing his body against it, telling me that the locks sometimes just did that, and it was normal - for "security" purposes. I appreciated his "glass half full" approach, but we decided in the end that maybe we should try to move to the room next door. I called the front desk and they were very accommodating and sent someone over with keys. We had her try the extra-secure door and she was shocked at how difficult it was to open. Later we saw that it was being fixed.
Our room was large and appeared to have been recently painted, maybe new tile in the bathroom, so probably already renovated. The main problem we had with the room was that the only way to get any natural light into the room was to open the blackout vertical blinds, totally exposing ourselves to anyone who might be passing by, as we were on the ground floor. Some sheers would have been nice, because with the blind closed the room was very dark.
We returned to the room one night and adjusted the thermostat to get the heat going and it didn't respond for at least 10 minutes. Just as engineering was again arriving at our room, it kicked on and we were told that it "usually takes about 15 minutes". It was very loud.
Little things...hard mattress, burned out light bulb, an outlet that we discovered wasn't working after leaving the cell phone plugged in to charge all night.
We had a good price on the room through bookit.com, but would recommend reading the fine print as we were charged a $10/day "resort fee" at checkout. I'd stay here again in a similar circumstance at a great price, but wouldn't pay any more.

Fargo, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I would love to be giving an "excellent" review right now but that's not going to happen. This will be our last time staying at the Carefree Resort & Conference Center. 5 nights stay - hot tub hasn't worked the entire time, no pool side service, fan in bathroom doesn't work, shower head broken and gross ice machines. We've stayed here 5 times before over the last several years and it's disappointing that each time we return deferred maintenance is noticed. 3 out of the 5 times the hot tub hasn't been working. Time for us to move on and locate a hotel that understands "guests" are important and return happy guests are even better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here in November in the suites for a chest tournament my son was participating in. The tournament was onsite so there were 100's of kids and parents hanging outside the conference area. We had a group of 8 yo boys who were tossing a ball around. They were not being crazy or throwing it at people. One of the employees - a large, tall man in a suit - came by and grabbed one of the boys and brought him over to where we were sitting and said "Whose is this?" One of the moms responded and he went over to her and yelling said "These kids are throwing the ball at people (they weren't). If I see it again, I'm going to kick you guys off this property. Do you understand me?" We were so stunned as no one had mentioned any issues and he was so aggressive and rude. The mom responded yes, of course. Then he repeated it again - "I WILL kick you out of here if it happens again".

I have never ever seen a hotel employee treat a guest like that, it was unbelievable. I would never ever stay at this resort again and don't plan on attending a tournament at that site ever again. They were extremely rude to the kids and unwelcoming. Why did they host it at all?

We complained to the manager in the hotel, who knows if anything happened.

As far as the suites, only heat in one room which made it way too hot. Rooms were fine. Dining not good, buffet of hot dogs/fries/pizza for lunch - anything else would be an hour?!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!