“Aesthetically pleasing, but....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Aesthetically pleasing, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This resort is a fine establishment to stay at if you can get a good online deal. Recently I found a deal that landed me there @ $50.00 per night. Upon my arrival, I understood the reason for the extremely low rates. I was the only one there and it appeared they are desperate for business. The looks, landscape, sounds and smells (the entire resort smelled of fresh vanilla inside and out) of the resort are top notch. The furnishing are beautiful and the staff members are very personable and polite and quick to give assistance for the simplest of needs. It is off the beaten path and is extremely quiet if you can get over all the Lear Jets flying overhead into the Scottsdale airport all day and night.

Cons: I would compare the beds to a king sized ironing board with a sheet and pillows. I thought I liked a firm mattress, but this was beyond firm. A $20.00 per night charge for a mini fridge brought to my room was a bit unheard of. But, since it was 115 outside and I needed to hydrate myself with cold brews, Sadly, I paid it. The fitness center was not immediately available for use of guests, trying to get a staff member to unlock it was comparable to asking them to chew my toe nails off. Needless to say, I never made it inside the fitness room. The pool area, although beautiful, is very poorly lit inside and out after the sun goes down. There are no exterior lights in the pool area and very dim lighting around the rest of the resort. If taking a child, use extreme caution when the sun sets. Upon entering the pool the first time my 3 year old son was able to push open the latched gate going in or out of the pool area and that was extremely alarming. It happened on more than one occasion and after inspection of the latch it was very worn and did not fully latch... The gate I am speaking of was the main entry to the pool, just down the stairs from the lobby.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale2011, Manager at Carefree Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Guest: thank you for taking the time to review the resort. We are glad that you had an opportunity to try our discounted promotional Travelzoo deal and enjoyed the look, feel, and scent of the resort. I am sorry to hear, however, that your stay did not meet your expectations in some other areas. While most of our rooms do offer fridges and microwaves, some do not, and due to limited availability we do charge a one-time fee per stay of $20 to reserve one of the extras. I see on your bill, however, that they elected not to charge you as a courtesy gesture, so I am glad you were able to enjoy the fridge complimentary on this stay.
Regarding the pool gates, all gates and locking mechanisms are regularly inspected and adjusted, however we hold the safety of our guests in highest regard and conducted an immediate re-inspection of the mechanisms following receipt of this report. We did find them to be within safety code regulations, however based on your concern we have taken an additional step to create additional tension in the closing spring mechanisms.
Feedback is very important to helping us improve our guest experiences at the resort, and we appreciate your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed in a Double Sonoran room. The floor plan and size let you spread out and be comfortable. It was nicely decored with a balcony that was worth using! The beds were comfortable and sleeping was sound. The landscaping was maticulous and the staff was eager to help, and friendly. The lariat lounge was relaxing and delicious. The overall layout of the grounds made us feel safe and pampered. I would definitely recommend staying!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Flagstaff AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Parking is easy. Rooms are very clean. Nice pool area. The shuttle service into Cave creek is super convenient. The only problem I had was finding food at 9:05 pm. Restaurant was closed. The bartender did find me a left over pizza so I would say the staff is very helpful. Eat before you come back from town if it's after 9pm.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are just fine for one or two nights. I do like the King suites when I am not trav...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

After checking in enjoyed fish tacos down at lariat lounge- yes in the desert very good. Room was a little warm but the staff was very prompt and moved us to the Villas. Overal great service just know when you come most restraunts do not open for breakfast early. Venues in the village was awesome great recommendation from the staff.

• Stayed June 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Wonderful staff that went above and beyond expectations to ensure we were taken care of. Overall relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Tan Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I could tell this resort has put in great effort and money to make everything as first class as possible. I am coming back to the resort July 20th. Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Suite are worth the upgrade. Great view and very quite.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed for one night, had a suite and one other double room. The rooms were available for check in when we arrived early and they let us check in. We had a couple of kids with us so that made it easier. The front desk staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We enjoyed our experience there very much. I have stayed there in the past and have always been pleased. Found out there was a free shuttle into Cave Creek where we had planned to meet friends for dinner. The bell staff was more than accommodating in getting us all to the restaurant and was quick to pick us up when we were done. I would definitely recommend staying there and I plan to do another staycation there soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!