“Beautiful resort” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Boulders is a beautiful resort in a stunning setting. My husband and I enjoyed the pampering at the spa, the pool, and strolling around the grounds. Our room was large, had a lovely fireplace and had everything we needed. Would like to go back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Boulders resort is very beautiful and charming. The sprawling layout is different and relaxing.

When you arrive the valet takes your car and you won't see it gain until you ask for it. Negotiating the property is done by walking or requesting an employee-driven golf cart shuttle. It takes a while to get used to this but you'll get the hang of it.

The surroundings of the resort are very enjoyable. The rock formations are quite different than terrain most people are used to. The views hold your interest.

The two golf courses are both challenging and fun. The formations are probably best seen from the golf courses. We saw a fair amount of desert wild life on the golf course including javelina milling about the tee boxes that didn't cause any problems.

The downside is that the Boulders is quite a trip from The greater Phoenix area. If you need frequent access to the city you probably want to stay closer in

The other thing that was odd was the shower in our room. The room was huge as was the bathroom but the marble shower was so tiny you have to take the shower wand off the hook to rinse off. Why so small on the shower? (I assure you I am a normal size person)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a full size shower
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Just came from a few days at the Boulders. I travel a LOT so am not easily impressed. But this was all good: accommodations; staff; service and food--all wonderful. Vlad, the catering manager(I think) was a special addition--he made service there feel personal and nurturing. I don't know when, but I'm surely going back.

Room Tip: Hmm, they are all good-but ask for a view of boulders...they are spectacular.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked the Boulders for a weekend getaway to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday. I called the resort directly, and the booking process was handled efficiently and pleasantly, the need for pet friendly accommodations was taken into consideration and we were ready to go.

Maybe I have high expectations. Maybe the places I usually stay exceed a minimum level of service. Maybe the Boulders is not quite up to snuff when handling customer requests. The "personal concierge" was worthless. I asked for a list of local dog friendly dining options. I was informed that none of The Boulders restaurants allowed dogs, but there were some restaurants locally that welcomed dogs. No names of restaurants, no contact info. I asked if the resort could arrange to prepare a meal for us in our villa. I was told to talk to in room dining. No contact info. No email address or phone number. Alternatively, the concierge suggested "Chef a Gogo". Which is some dude 45 miles away that specializes in pre made meals for busy Moms. The best part? After we arrived, we saw that the resort offers a service where they provide prepared sides and meat for grilling if you give them 24 hour notice. Which would have been nice to know before we got there, since the 24 hour rule seemed pretty hard and fast when we called to find out if they could make an exception. Oh well. Albertson's got our dinner business. The grill worked well.

I also requested (from the same concierge. What was I thinking?) a bottle of Prosecco and a cheese tray in room when we checked in. Maybe it's a good thing I never got a reply on that request since we had to wait 30 minutes because the villa wasn't ready when we checked in at 4:00 PM. We did get to hang out with bell staff. They were friendly and competent.

The villa was OK. One bed was decent, one bed was reverse crowned. It's always fun when the mattress funnels everyone to the middle. The straight pins embedded in the armchair were a nice touch too. I only bled a little bit. In room dining service was efficient (we had breakfast both mornings) but they seemed not quite up to the task of providing a complete order. No jam or jellies with the bakery basket (we specifically asked for them on the second morning, assuming they forgot them the first morning), missing Hollandaise on the eggs benedict.

The person that handled our lodging reservation did arrange a treat bag, bed and bowls for our dog. That was a plus. Dinner on Saturday night was good. Service was well done and the food was good. Luckily, I know how to use Open Table, because calling to make a reservation was a futile gesture. No one answered, and the message was never returned.

Nit picky? Maybe. I've stayed a lot of places. The Boulders ranks right up there with very few of them. I'm still waiting for them to email my final receipt (I spoke to the front desk, and they indicated I was checked out and they would send the final statement. I even confirmed my email address with them, because I was starting to figure out the whole not quite service thing). Maybe they're having email problems and it will show up soon. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TheBouldersCarefree, Manager at The Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Mike B,

On behalf of the entire Boulders Team we extend our profuse apologies for the disappointments you encountered during your recent stay. We are most grateful for the time you took to bring our attention to the shortcomings your experience. It is through the kind and candid feedback of our guests we are able to identify areas which require improvement and provide additional training to our teams.

A final copy of the folio has been sent, in the event you have not received it please contact the Executive Office at 480-488-9009.

We cannot express how extremely sorry we the lapse in service you received, but look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return and demonstrate the changes you have inspired.

With our renewed apologies,

The Boulders Team
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent three nights here. Far too short. Could have done with longer after five days at a convention in Las Vegas. The thing about Vegas is you love it and hate it at the same time. It's brilliant and it's awful but it was so nice to drive through the desert on a lightly used road and end up here in Carefree.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here; the staff, the location and our casita was perfect except for one tiny thing. They warned us about critters and we had one on the last night that was scatching somewhere in the woodwork and kept us awake for a couple of hours.

Notwithstanding out nocturnal noise fiend, we would go back again as it is a pretty special place. We had a great recommend from staff was Binkley's restaurant in the town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Had a few fantastic days at the Boulders, bery pleased with this experiance. Main reason for staying there was the expectations for some good golfing and even though I had high expectations it exceeded them. Golf course was one of the better ones, excellent service from the golf staff (all staff at the resort) and some challanging golf. It is a very calm and relaxing place, rooms are in separate villas and very quiet place - but relaxing!!! I will definately be back one day :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We booked a night at the Boulders for some golf and relaxation. From the minute we entered the property we were treated like special guests. Our casita was comfortable, spacious and had a great view of the 5th hole. Since we had a very early flight the following morning, the valet staff arranged to have our vehicle staged near the front office so that we could make a quick getaway. We definitely plan to return.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!