“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Absolutely awesome! Going back next year.
If you golf bring an extra dozen golf balls.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Watchung
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just got back from an incredible trip to the Boulders. We were blown away. From the moment we walked in to the moment we left we were pampered with incredible service and constant smiles. Very spacious and clean room. Everyone from Justin that helped us at the pool to the Devin, the mangager, we were constantly in good hands. Anytime you walked around the property somebody drove by in a golf cart happily asking if you need a ride. Everyone that works there seem to be very happy to be there and its infectious. Laurel, concierge, found us reservations and made sure we had transportation. Our car was a little late so she bought us a drink. Over the top nice. The gym/spa facilities are second to none. All new clean equipment and it has everything you can ask for. On our last day I approached Devin and said that we were on the red eye flight. Before I could even ask he said "lets get you a late check out and make sure you have a place to shower and relax before you leave". I can't begin to tell you how happy we are we came here. Look no further...just book it.

Room Tip: Its worth it to get a second floor casita...they have amazing views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Let me start by saying, the staff at the Boulders was very friendly, courteous and helpful. But I have to say this is by far my worst experience on a vacation. So much so, that I was actually glad it was over. When me and a friend arrived at the Boulders we were greeted very warmly. The very friendly receptionist suggested we tour the facilities while the room was being cleaned. We were a little tired after a long flight so we just hung around the lodge. We eventually received a phone call from the very friendly receptionist and headed to our Casita. I was a little surprised at how dated the room was for a 'five-star' facility. But the room looked clean, so we started to unpack. As soon as I entered the bathroom, I noticed a cockroach/water bug. Later in the evening while in the bathroom, my friend noticed another one of these bugs around the toilet. Only this time it was much bigger. It was also much faster as it ran behind the toilet and disappeared. The next day we called housekeeping and told them about the problem and they immediately sent someone out with a can of Raid. When he arrived, I asked him to concentrate on an area around the toilet where there was a gap between the wall and a water pipe leading to the toilet. He remarked, “That’s probably where they are coming from”. However no one ever came to do anything about it. After he finished spraying the bathroom and door frames, we left the Casita to get away from the fumes and to get a bite to eat. On our return, we found about three more of these bugs dead in the bathroom. So one night later in the week, we decide to grab a pizza and go back to the Casita and watch the game. After the game, we retired for the evening. Leaving the pizza box and left over pizza sitting on the ottoman. Around one or two in the morning, we heard a rummaging noise. So we turned on the lights to find a huge RAT in the room trying to get into some candy cookie mixture we left sitting near the fireplace. Us turning the lights on did not discourage him. He continued about his business while I jump out of the bed to call the front desk. Eventually our yelling chase the rat off just before hotel security arrived with a set of snake tongs. Obviously this sent other thoughts racing thru our mind. We told him that the rat jump down on floor and crawled up under the lip of the fireplace. He was very apologetic and even looked to see where the rat exited. He told us there was really nothing more he could do the catch the rat that night and we agreed. He told us the Casita next door was available and suggested we move next door. So while we grabbed a few personal items, he checked out the new Casita for us. He even checked under the new Casita’s fireplace to make sure there were no cracks or openings for the rat to follow us. Needless to say, we got little to no sleep that night. The next morning we called the receptionist to see where they were moving us. She was very friendly and apologetic. She eventually told us we could stay in the new Casita or they could move to another Casita in a different area. Since we verified that there were no cracks or openings under the fireplace in the new Casita, we felt like maybe this was an isolated incident and we shouldn’t over react. Our first impressions of the new Casita were positive. It appeared cleaner and we didn’t see any bugs or opening for bugs. But as the day progressed, we started to notice a lot of gnats/mosquitoes in the room. We were swatting at them like crazy. At this point all I could think was, I will be glad to leave this place. The hotel did send us a bottle of wine and an apology letter. It is probably still sitting there since neither of us drink wine. So on our final night as we are preparing for our departure the next morning, we see another rat. This time coming from the around the sliding glass door. Obviously we were extremely upset at this point. I called the front desk and told them they needed to send someone to pick us up immediately. We hastily packed our stuff and headed to the lodge when security arrived. The manager on duty was very apologetic but we had had it. There was nothing she or anybody else could have said that would have convinced us to spend another night at this place. She pretty much offered any available room at the facility. But again, there was no way we were staying another night. She told us there were no sister hotels in the area she could send us too. So she refunded our money for our final nights stay. While I got online and booked a room at the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza at the airport. Interesting, the Holiday Inn was only rated 3.5 stars and the Boulders 5 stars. But yet I feel as though I got my best sleep of the week at the Holiday Inn. The Boulders staff was excellent. But bugs, gnats/mosquitoes and RATS wouldn’t be acceptable at any hotel much less a 5 star hotel. Extremely Disappointed!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
TheBouldersResort, Manager at The Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the team members at The Boulders Resort for extending friendly, courteous and helpful service.

On behalf of the entire Boulders team we extend our sincere apologies for the disappointments you encountered during your time with us. The beauty, that is The Boulders, is created by the amazing natural setting as each casita is nestled within the High Sonoran Desert and the 12-million-year-old boulder formations. Although we take each measure and precaution to prevent our desert inhabitants from entering our guest’s quarters, once in a while one may find a way into an occupied casita.

Once again, we are truly sorry our guests did not have a positive experience and regret the inconvenience and disappointments surrounding their stay. We pride ourselves in providing a relaxing and tranquil existence which allows our guests the opportunity to rejuvenate at this secluded haven, amid the natural splendor of The Boulders Resort.
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful! Very unique and the casitas are very nice with lots privacy.

Can't comment on value as I stayed as part of a group and the payment was taken are for us so I do not know what the cost was.

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I can say nothing but wonderful things about our stay at The Boulders. From the grounds to the staff to the accommodations to the spa; everything was incredible. We splurged for one of the villas and were not disappointed. It had everything we could have possibly wanted and was so quiet at night we felt as though we were the only people for miles. Our spa services, massage and facial, were superb and the rock climbing with Kerry was a highlight of any vacation not just this one. if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing and rejuvenating getaway there is nothing I could recommend higher. We hope to be able to visit again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tappan, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Went for a quick getaway with the girls. Very friendly, super-attentive staff. The room was clean & big, with beautiful scenery. The main pool was very nice, with lots of amenities and pool side service (the frozen grapes were delicious). The pool where the spa was was nice, but it wasn't super impressive.. At night, we had to wait for golf carts to transport us to/from car, as it was somewhat dark/scary to walk around. No nightlife whatsoever - we had to drive everywhere. Also, beware of the cacti! We wanted a quiet, relaxing vacation, and we definitely got that! We did go during what I guess was the off-season (August), so the price was right, but I have to say, even though I'm not one for "clubbing", it was a little too quiet. The grounds/hotel were amazing, but kind of in the middle of nowhere. On the whole, Arizona just wasn't my cup of tea. However, if a friend was going, I would definitely recommend this place, especially for a couple.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Plan was to take my wife along on a two day biz trip in the Scottsdale area.We were given the presidential suite. It was beautiful and spacious with a nice outdoor patio. My wife and I noticed one or two dead cockroaches by the back door and were told that because we were in the desert it was common. It was late at night and we were way too tired from the day of traveling to switch rooms. Early in the morning before my meeting i noticed there were at least 15 dead cockroaches ALL over the room. They were in the bedroom, bathroom and in the salon/kitchenette. They were everywhere. I called the front desk beyond livid. They offered to upgrade us to a villa. Obviously we weren't going to stay in the roach infested presidential suite so it was a no briner. Unfortunately the move had to take place at 8am...killing my wife's dream to sleep in. Villa was really nice. Large with two bedrooms. Had everything you need. Full Kitchen. This was a house. Great patio leading out to the desert. Garage, You name it and it had it. Not sure the rates on this but can't be cheap. End of the day - very large property (maybe too large). Most importantly our initial room had roaches. This is something that we will never forget. Been a while since we went but i still can see the dead bugs and it haunts me. Also we went to the main pool and there were no chairs so we hung out at the spa pool. Was really nice and calm. Other than that the villa was nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBouldersResort, Manager at The Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind review of The Boulders Resort. We are delighted you enjoyed your time and found the Golden Door Spa pool area to be “nice and calm”. The tranquility and “sense of place” The Boulders offers allows our guest the opportunity to relax and rejuvenated.

The Boulders Resort maintains the highest level of cleanliness both in public areas and guest accommodations. We are located in the middle of the Sonoran Desert, and as regretful as it is, once in awhile we do encounter the unexpected desert inhabitants. We are truly sorry for this disturbance and extend our profuse apologies to you.

We look forward to welcoming your return in the near future. Once again, thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Boulders Resort.

Been to The Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!