“Fitness Classes: For People Who Never Exercise! Very Beginning...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Spa

Waldorf Astoria Spa
34631 N. Tom Darlington Drive, The Boulders Resort, Carefree, AZ 85377
480-595-3500
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 5 Attractions in Carefree
More attraction details
Owner description: Restore your body and mind at the Waldorf Astoria Spa. Our 33,000-square-foot spa offers stimulating revitalization through the art of massage, therapeutic baths, and refreshing treatments. Beautifully infused with ingredients from the desert environment, treatments created over 50 years expertly applied. Before and after your treatment, unwind in locker rooms that instill a heightened sense of peace. Lounge and detoxify in steam rooms, saunas, and the O'furo, a traditional Japanese bath. Allow time for meditation in our signature labyrinth. Sip a rejuvenating drink in our circular tea room, while enjoying vibrant desert vistas. Recline alongside the heated swimming pool nestled against ancient boulders.
“Fitness Classes: For People Who Never Exercise! Very Beginning...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I paid a HUGE premium to become a Premier Member of the Boulders. I'm a young 42 and healthy. If you're looking for workout classes that will challenge you or help you burn calories, you may want to consider paying for a one day pass to go to another fitness facility. The Fitness classes at the Boulders are designed for people who don't exercise much; they certainly DO NOT have a youthful feel to them (and I love senior citizens). After the 75K membership fee, I still had to join another large fitness club 35 miles away to get the type of facility that would challenge the "young at heart" (and there are people over 50 in these classes). The gym, instructors and classes at the Boulders have an elderly feel about them...no wonder this spa doesn't attract many people under the age of 50. I've personally never once seen a personal trainer train anyone who wasn't a geriatric patient.

TheBouldersResort, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
The Golden Door Spa has a long standing tradition of providing a well balanced selection of fitness programs suitable for all age groups.

We are disappointed to learn this member has not been able to find a class that meets her needs. The Golden Door Spa team would be delighted to arrange for personal training, to allow this member to meet her fitness objectives.

Scottsdale, Arizona
10 attraction reviews
“Good pampering for the pampered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011 via mobile

For my birthday this year, and at my request, my husband gave me a gift certificate to the Golden Door Spa at The Boulders. My desire to experience it was based on a recommendation from the book '1000 places to see before you die.'

I happily put my $300 gift certificate to good use when my friend from Chicago was in town on a visit. I was able to get a 50 minute massage, pedicure and manicure and only owed a balance of $2. This didn't include any meals, complimentary nail polish (like The Breakers, Palm Beach) or specialty beverages.

I have been to many Scottsdale and other spas so as an experienced client I can say the facility was nice and the massage was good but I've had better. My favorite place in the valley is still Sanctuary.

The only aspect that exceeded all past experiences was the mani-pedi treatment, complete with paraffin and masque treatments.

Only complaint with mani-pedi treatment was my friend asked specifically for manicures first and they weren't even aware of the request when we got there so had set up our pedi treatments first. I wouldn't even bring it up except something similar happened with the staff and my friend's room service. Her husband had ordered n expensive bottle of champagne which was to be delivered for our treatment when we were together. Instead it was delivered to her room the night before.

This isn't a big deal but in my mind what separates The Golden Door Spa and The Boulders Resort is their ability to go above and beyond to make each customers experience special. I left thinking I had better, more special and less expensive experiences.

I'm glad I checked it off my list but feel no need to go back.

Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful, relaxing weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

My daughter and I enjoyed the Golden Door Spa for 3 days and 3 nights. Everything was perfect; comfortable, quiet, friendly people and very relaxing. Our casita at the Boulders Resort was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. We ate at 4 of the 5 restaurants on the property and they were all excellent. The lunches at the Spa cafe (in the cafe or poolside) were so good and all organic. We each had a fabulous steak at Latilla. We saw havalinas (wild pigs), a huge owl, rabbits everywhere, doves, quail and other birds. The grounds and plantings are beautiful. We walked everywhere, although they offer rides on nice golf carts. The treatments at the spa were all wonderful (massages, facials, manicure, pedicures, hair cut) . The exercise classes were great too - we took cardio, buns and abs, yoga, water exercise or just worked out in the gym. It was a wonderful splurge!

Visited March 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
“The Golden Door Spa is aaaahhhhh...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

For a relaxing visit to a hotel and spa without the noise of young children splashing in the pool, visit the Golden Door spa at the Boulders Resort in Carefree, Arizona. The nice thing is that the Boulders has two pools, one that is family friendly and the other which caters to adults who like peace and quiet with their spa experience! A relaxing day spent at the Golden Door spa will reset your inner clock like no other experience.