“A unique and fun experience” 4 of 5 stars

Jailhouse Inn
8 Naco Road, Bisbee, AZ 85603   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Tolland, CT
“A unique and fun experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My grandma brought my sister and I to this little-known gem in early August of 2013 to stay in Bisbee for two nights. Because we came in off-season, both nights we were the only guests in the inn. It was a cool new experience and a kind of place we'd never stayed in before. Climbing up the staircase that led to the rooms, beautiful, local art was shown for sale. Even though the prices were a little too high for our budget, they added acute individuality that really spoke to the whole idea of the unique inn. Even being alone after Carol, the woman who owns the hotel, along with a salon and spa on the bottom floor, left, we felt very safe during the night. And during the day, she was a joy. She helped us on local tips like the best restaurants and attractions in the old town. She also had a $5 off breakfast coupon for two restaurants. We tried The Savory Spot, which was delicous and a must when visiting Bisbee. Just across the street, the Copper Queen Mine offered an exciting tour of the underground Bisbee, and the main attraction of the town. You get taken down in carts right into the once active mines, which allows a hands on experience for the young and old alike. Our only complaints were that a housecleaner did not clean our room between our first and second night, which was a little surprising to walk into after a long day. Also, the only way to get ice was out of bags Carol bought herself, inside a freezer downstairs, which was much less convenient than the nice machines found at many hotels. My sister and I wanted to try out the spa, and because the hot tub was out of order, we decided to go with the sauna. Being something we'd never tried, we enjoyed it, especially for the great price it was offered at. The entire stay at the inn was a lot of fun for the three of us and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and unique experience in Bisbee.

Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I planned a weekend trip to Bisbee during Memorial Day Weekend. I received a call from Carol the manager/owner (who knows) of Jailhouse asking when we will arrive, I advised her later that evening. She said ok and left the keys in a lockbox at the hotel. We arrived, there was nobody there. We were the only guests in the 5 room hotel. We had two rooms. One room had cable, the other room did not. One room had a working refrigerator, the other did not. Each room had loud a/c units, which was fine, I figured I'm in an old town I guess I can deal with it. My husband needed wifi which was one of the reasons we chose this hotel. I called Carol for the wifi password (because she said call anytime if we need anything), but she did not return our call.

When we left early the next morning, there still was nobody at the hotel. I received a call a day later from Carol stating that they do not accept AmEx. It was Memorial Day weekend so I didn't have a chance to call her back. Two days later she called again and threatened to call the police if I did not call back with another method of payment. My husband called and Carol was so rude and did not apologize or not being there nor for the inconveniences of our stay. She yelled and screamed and said she is a "one trick pony" and she does everything herself and we called her too late at night asking for wifi and basically stated how much WE inconvenienced her. Absolutely ridiculous.

I decided that I would mail her a cashier's check so I called booking.com (where I booked my reservation) to obtain a mailing address. I mailed the cashiers check then it was returned back to me. I decided to remail it to the Jailhouse Inn physical address which was different than what Carol provided to booking.com. IN THE MEANTIME.....Carol decides she does accept AmEx and fraudulently charges $355.52 (Under Dr. FeelGoods - the spa at the hotel) to my American Express Card. My one night - two room stay was to be $160.00 total. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. IF YOU WANT TERRIBLE SERVICE AND EVEN WORSE MANAGEMENT, DO NOT STAY AT JAILHOUSE INN. If this person was concerned about payment and knew we booked via American Express, she should have been there when we arrived and when we left. Horrible Experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

The air conditioning broken they have a portable in the room and no where to vent so the hot air vents back into the room Sweating in room all night till morning I am glad they had water for sale in room frig

• Stayed May 2014
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

On April 20th I booked 2 nights at the Jailhouse Inn in Bisbee Arizona though Booking.com. 2 nights, 1 room for April 23 and 24th for $160 plus 11.10% tax not included. It looked like a great place, and since Phil is a former police officer, a fun place to be. Later the same night I received another confirmation for another date. An email finally confirmed it was a mistake. Check in time was 3 pm and we arrived about 3:10. Grabbed our suitcases and up to the entrance---and it is locked. No notes or any explanation. Just a locked building with no one inside. We tried calling the phone number on the door and in the reservation, and after many attempts finally got voice mail and left messages two times. After about 45 minutes of waiting for an answer or a person to arrive we took our things back to the car, and talked to a passerby who knew the manager and had her personal cell phone number. She called, reaching her. Carol, the manager, told this lady that she had forgotten that anyone was coming in today!! It was some time before Carol arrived and she seemed more upset that we had showed up than sorry for the inconvenience she has caused us. She gave us a key and told us where our room was. We were the only people in this 5 room hotel. She then left us there alone with a key to the front door. We walked around the town and ate dinner and back to our room. Bedtime, and the room was hot, so turned on the air conditioner and it did not work. Called Carol and she was unconcerned. Would offer no solutions, though later we did get a small fan that was useless. Later found that the AC had not worked for a bit and she was aware of it and did not tell us when we arrived. She said a repair man was coming in the morning so we suffered through the night with very little sleep.

Next morning Carol assured us that help was on the way and the AC would be fixed when we returned from town. The AC man never arrived. We asked when he might and she finally said he would not be there. We were upset and told her. Then she was upset with us for not being happy and just accepting that it would be uncomfortable. She was combative and not at all managing well. We went out again and when we returned there was a portable AC in our room, no instructions, not hooked up, and we were told we had to install it ourselves. We said No—that is not our job. Get someone to fix it. We left for another town tour. Coming back the place was empty and someone had just plugged this thing in. It is backwards- the exhaust heat blowing into the room and the cool air into the corner. And it is still hot in the room. We did see her that evening before going to our room and she was very upset with US! Finally she agreed to comp us for the first night and we agreed to pay her in the morning. We turned it on and suffered through another night.

Now it is the next morning and we want to pay, but she is not there. We wanted to leave early, but had to wait for her- should have insisted on paying last night, but she said she would be here. Another walk around town and back and the place is locked, but the maid, who is very good at her job, was there and let us in and told us that Carol was NOT coming in. At this time we saw the box for the AC containing the exhaust hose to vent the AC so there would be no hot air staying in the room. Had this been done it might have been tolerable. She called Carol and Phil talked to her and asked if she wanted cash or credit card—and she told him that she had charged the entire 2 night stay-$177. Phil was upset and clearly stated that this was not the agreement of last night.

This entire experience soured our mini vacation. We spent more time ‘discussing’ this with Carol than we spent enjoying the town of Bisbee. This was by no means the experience we had anticipated.

Note form Phil-------I agree with this recount. Connie and I have traveled extensively, but this was the trip forged in hell - Two brutally hot nights and the most serious case of mis-management that I have ever encountered. It was reminiscent of the old TV series, The Twilight Zone. Worst of all, after having promised she would comp one night, she charged the full price and refused to come to the hotel. I do not advise this hotel to anyone who values truth, sanity and a good travel experience.

Room Tip: Make sure air conditioner is working.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Modest Inn above a hair salon and spa. Very friendly check in but after salon closes your pretty much on your own. Stayed in room 3 which was a good size, bathroom spotless with handmade goats milk soap. Only thing missing in bathroom was a hair dryer which my wife really missed. Bed was firm but very comfortable, sheets were good but bedspread and pillow shams were old and frayed. Had large older style TV and a stocked fridge on the honour system. All in all it was a nice stay for the price, we paid eighty dollars. Bisbee is a must visit if your in Arizona, also check out my review of Bisbee Table restaurant which was fantastic.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

A guy friend and self wanted to spend a couple of nights in Bisbee. I found us 2 rooms at this 5 room place and rooms are all upstairs. You park free right across the street.

We were given the 2 SMALLEST rooms (#2 & #4) each fine for ONE person, I would not want to have an extra person in either room. I had the 'Buddha' room (#2) with a Buddha head, funky Indian light, etc. Friend had a room with 'art for sale' (son is an actual artist and he wouldn't have approved of the 'art' but EACH TO HIS OWN!). Our bathrooms were very clean. One light on side of bed either didn't work or needed a new bulb. I was COLD the 2nd night, I don't think the heat control on the wall works. There is a small plug in radiator but it didn't do much after the room was cold.

I asked the next morning my room not be cleaned and unfortunately they also chose not to clean friend's room too! He asked and they said 'we do not clean your room unless you ask!' (Whhhaaattt?) Very silly cause how would one know you had to ask to have your room cleaned. I paid for our rooms (2 nights for these 2 small rooms for 355 total). Nothing is cheap in Bisbee, this is a good walking around location.

Carol said we couldn't have the front facing rooms as she promised them to others but if you are a couple ask for front facing or the biggest room at the back. #2 & #4 have windows but you can't see anything ex a rock wall, etc. Front facing rooms have views and, sorry (contrary to what Carol said) , but would never be alot of noise. Couples ask for #3, #5 or #1 (back but very spacious). The tvs are old but I had a very good picture. There are NO drawers anywhere in any of the rooms (all the doors were open when we arrived so we checked out other rooms). They should buy new
flatscreens and put on the wall and buy funky 2nd hand dressers for drawers for your clothes. There is a small hanging 'closet' but absolutely no drawers whatsoever. I like to unpack even for a short trip and feel 'at home.'

Great handmade soap in the rooms which I wish I had bought like 4 bars but no one was around when we left Sun morning.

I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Couples choose 1, 3 or 5. 3 & 5 are front-facing and views. Singles 2 # 4 are fine for one...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Salt_Lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here because of the great reviews on Tripadvisor, but I'd recommend finding another place. The rooms are small and a bit dirty and no coffee maker in the rooms. However, it was a good location close to the shops.

Room Tip: Reserve the largest room available.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Jailhouse Inn? Share your experiences!