“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Benson
AZ
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

The room was clean and nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again and would recomend it to anybody that wants a good room for the price. Ask for a room on the south side of the building to eliminate the Interstate noise. There are places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

We decided on a spur of the moment motorcycle trip from Phoenix to Tombstone and decided to spend the night in Benson. We were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and hospitalty of the Motel 6. We had our choice of several rooms offered by the desk clerk. She was prompt, informative and friendly. The room was not large but it was clean. Hot water was abundant but the bathtubs were cramped. After a long day on the road, it would have been nice to stretch out in the tub. We were also impressed with the rates, although had I known about the trip earlier, I would have booked online and saved myself some money. Overall, we were very impressed with Motel 6 Benson Az. We would recommend it again.

Stayed December 2008
USA Traveler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

If you are travelling on a budget (and with the price of gas, who isn't?) this is the stop for you in Cochise County. The lobby has a rack full of pamphlets, and there is even a local delivery service for local restaurants. They are usually booked solid for the local events, so calling this location ahead of time will work to your benefit. It is possible to get something like a weekly rate, although they do not offer it publicly. I'm sure this is only true in the off season (when I was there), so ask, but do not expect it.

Other reviewers are very correct about this location - a nice common area, fridge and microwave in some rooms (make sure you ask for them if you need them), they do have a pool (clean when I swam in it), on-site laundry, and wi-fi internet access.
I have stayed at better hotels - this one beats 97% of the Motel 6's I've stayed at.

Do yourself a favor, save a little money and try this gem out. I'm not hard to please, but I'm no idiot either. This is a good place to stay even though some of the gas stations in the immediate vicinity seem to gouge a bit.

The following places are only an hour (or less) drive away from this Motel - Bisbee, Tombstone, Sierra Vista, and also Tucson!

• Liked — The staff - everyone there is wonderful
  • Disliked — The rooms are on the small side, but if you are a tourist, it should not present a huge problem
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Needed a place as we were driving through, and the room and hotel were quite good for the price we paid. Room was the smallest I have ever stayed seen in North America, but it was clean. The hotel looked relatively new. Pool area looked nice but we didn't use the pool. Towels were the roughest and thinnest I've ever experienced. Staff were all very friendly. No breakfast, only coffee served in the lobby. My traveling companion was very upset that they only served coffee and not tea. Didn't get a room with a fridge which is a drag, now that I know that some rooms had them. It would have been nice if we were offered the choice since the hotel was far from full. As always, if you know in advance you'll be staying here I'm sure you'd getter price booking ahead on the internet.

Stayed June 2008
Albuquerque, NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

The Good: Newer property, so in good shape. Microwave and mini fridge (in most rooms, be sure to ask!) Lots of cable channels. Adjoining rooms are great for group travelers. Basic, clean rooms. Good lighting. Not run down like a lot of budget hotels. Interior corridor. Nice pool (but not heated.) Very pet friendly, and no pet stains or pet odors (my family had five rooms and none looked bad.) Ample hot water. Reasonable price. 10 minutes from Kartchner Caverns and 30 minutes to Tombstone. McDonalds and KFC/Taco Bell across the highway, Denny's and others about two miles east. Nice and efficient house-keeping staff. MOST front desk staff are friendly.

The Bad: Paper thin towels (bring your own!) Rough toilet paper. Thin square soaps and no other toiletries. No iron or hair dryer (ask at front desk for one.) No alarm clock/radio. Cheap mattresses, but tolerable. No breakfast of any kind. Dial-up internet only. Terrible cigarette smoke odor in corridor that the front desk clerk admitted came from the 3rd floor smoking rooms. Adjoining rooms - if you're not with a group, you can hear every conversation, TV commercial and crying baby. Basic views: parking lot, truckers parking lot, littered desert lot.

The Ugly: Behind the truck stop. One of the night desk clerks actually let the truckers use the lobby as a lounge and drinking area to the exclusion of PAYING guests who wanted to use it. We asked to have a birthday celebration there to keep noise to a minimum in the guest room area and were told the lobby was closing in 10 minutes. I guess she meant to paying guests, because when I took my dog out later, there was still a crowd of truckers watching TV.

Bottom Line: If you're traveling with pets, you can't beat this motel. But remember, this is a Motel 6, so you basically get a bed, a bath, and a locking door. Plusses include lots of channels on the TV and a microwave and fridge (in most rooms.) Because of the paper thin walls and truck stop issues, I wouldn't stay here unless you needed a hotel that accepts your pets. Or don't stay more than one night.

• Liked — Allows pets, but no evidence of pets in rooms
  • Disliked — Letting truck drivers from the truck stop use the guest lobby
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Starkville, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

I was very pleased with this hotel. It looked to be nearly new, was immaculate, extremely quiet and had comfortable beds. I would stay here again in a heartbeat ! I read several comments here about the staff. It is important to remember that staffing changes often. The desk clerk who worked there when we stayed at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The attractiveness of the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix,AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

Hi,

It was the lowest priced hotel in the area, so I didn't expect much.
I was happy to see that the hotel was clean and well cared for,I loved the beds,very comfortable.

The evening desk person wasn't friendly,but I wouldn't go
so far to say she was rude. All other staff was great,friendly and helpful.The morning coffee was great too. We will probably go back someday.

Stayed June 2007

Been to Motel 6 Benson? Share your experiences!