“The Real Arizona” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“The Real Arizona”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the assistant manager of the Singing Wind Bookshop in Benson. We arrived at a very busy lunchtime and were seated immediately. There are two rooms for dining - we were seated in the more brightly lit, diner-style room. Nothing is fancy but everything was clean. There were about 5 specials that day and at least seven desserts listed, but being light eaters we ordered a spinach salad and grilled tuna sandwich. Our wait for the actual food was about five minutes; the wait staff are hard-working, efficient and friendly. The spinach salad was fresh and generous with bacon, feta, and olives, served with warm bread sticks. The grilled tuna sandwich was just fine and generous as well. In fact, watching the specials coming out of the kitchen was mind-boggling. I have never seen such generous portions of hot food at such reasonable prices. I do not think there are many people capable of finishing a meal like that but I did watch two bikers at the counter almost lick their plates clean. This is a great people-watching place and this is real, small-town Arizona. I have a feeling pretension and bad attitudes do not go over well here and that is why I like visiting these towns. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Yummy dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant is a decent size. Was pretty busy when I came. Service was good. I ordered a sandwich and fries. Sandwich was massive! It was decent but nothing to write home about. The best part was their desserts! My husband and I both ordered something different and it was amazing! The waitress told me the owner makes them all himself. Soooo good! I would return again just for that!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“HUGE breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

While driving west on Hwy 80, we decided to stop in Benson for breakfast. As luck would have it, we went to Palatianos. I got the greek omelet. It had lots and lots of feta cheese, melted in with the eggs, fresh spinach and olives. I had a choice of breakfast potatoes, done one of 3 different ways, and they must have given me 3 potatoes worth. That serving too was extremely large. The potatoes were done to perfection, crispy on the outside, soft and hot on the inside. The biscuit that came with the meal was pretty dry, but I didn't have room in my tummy anyway! We had a lovely server and she kept hot (average) coffee coming. I can't wait to go back again. With a 20% tip, my bill came to only $11.00 and it was worth every penny.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Benson, Arizona, United States
“Waste of our hard earned money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Today history was made and not the kind you should be proud of, We chose this restaurant after hearing great things from other locals and found don't always believe what you hear. Now here was our history making dinner date that we saved for. We was seated and brought a drink without delay kudos to her, Next our order was taken for an appetizer (assorted fried items plate) and the main course (Philly steak sub) which is where all hell broke loose, our waitress returned about twenty minutes later with my wife's Philly steak and I received nothing!! hmm our appetizer comes to mind, hers had the wrong cheese, and mushrooms she asked to not have, 10 minutes later mine comes out looking like a dried up burnt mess, the cheese is cold and not melted and where is the fries that come with it, coming shortly I'm told. I was told my steak sub (looked) burnt because it's cooked with mushrooms, OK I have never had a proper steak bomb then? as I watched my wife eat, out came the apps and I have had enough! Should have just opened the door and threw my $30 in and walked away. Bad day? maybe, but not going back to find out. The chefs should be thrilled with there performance today. Love U Sweety it's the thought that counts.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Whetstone, AZ
“Great when open”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Been closed for a few months but they have a well diverse menu and everything is wonderful. Waiting for them to reopen

Visited March 2012