“Pure Alaska” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Pure Alaska”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Best food we have had in 45 days of traveling in Alaska. The chef is always trying new dishes. The Halibut Oscar is incredible.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wasilla
“OMG It was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I'm staying at the Best Western (see separate review) on business. It's not my first trip to Valdez but it's my first stay here, and my first time eating at this restaurant.
They were quite busy but managed to get me, alone, to a table in short order. It took a few minutes before anyone caught up with me but Lauren smiled and said she'd be by soon. I interrupted and asked for 'a good bloody mary' while I waited. She asked the usual - salt, spicy, etc.. I told her I really like my bloody mary's spicy - but not just 'Tabasco' hotter. And she delivered. Wow, it was one of the best hand-mixed mary's I've had. I thought by looking at it that it would be weak and maybe watery but it was right-on!
I looked over both menus - there was one for dinner and one for burgers and such. Both had a number of offerings that sounded good.
I noted a disparity on price between them with some things higher on one and some things higher on the other. I couldn't make sense of the differences even taking into account a 'lunch' version versus a 'dinner' version. I asked about a couple of items and was told one or the other was the 'lunch' or 'dinner' version, and one was called a misprint.
I finally settled on a appetizer called "Mussels fra Diavola." It came and I tasted it. By the time I got done I was down to porcelain and could have licked the bowl. The mussels were good but the sauce was outstanding!
I hemmed and hawed about what to have for dinner (as if I needed more after the mussels) and decided to try something different - Seafood Rice, a Peruvian themed dish. What a hit! It was as good as, or better than the mussels. Again, I literally licked the plate clean.
I noted that all of the wait and bus staff worked very well together. My drink, appetizer and dinner were all delivered by different table attendants and the busing was done by anyone walking by any table. They all worked together like a well-oiled machine.
I'll be back to this place, and dine on more of their fare.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Enterprise, Alabama
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Probably the closest you will get to a "nice" restaurant in Valdez. Located in the Best Western. The best thing on the menu is the Fish and Chips with the halibut. Great views!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sperry, Oklahoma
“Great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Good food & service reasonably priced. It gets busy when excursion ships come in because it is right on the harbor.

Visited May 2013
Nottingham
“Over-priced and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were staying at the Best Western, so called in here for a meal.

The food was a bit pretentious,and way over-priced (even for Alaska) for what it was. The staff were fairly offhand - there was a window table available overlooking the harbour but it was not offered to us. I thought it was maybe reserved, but the next guests were asked if they'd like it!

I think there are better places to eat in Valdez.

• Visited June 2013