“Still average and bearable” 3 of 5 stars

Marina Lodge at Port Ghalib
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 12, Port Ghalib, Marsa Alam, Egypt   |
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Marsa Alam
London, England
“Still average and bearable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This busy hotel is on the southern side of Port Ghalib and thus is separated from the main area of PG by a wasteland which can only be crossed by water taxi (free – last return at 1 a.m.) or a very long walk in the hot sun. No doubt the area will be lovely when completed but that is many many years away. Clients seem to be either hotel based couples and families or live-aboard divers staying for their compulsory 24hr degassing period before returning home.

Check-in was slow, only one room key was available even though we needed two, internet access is available at $12 for one hour or $20 for 24 hours supposedly throughout the hotel but I could not get connected from my room. Late checkout after 12 noon costs an additional €20, various upgrades to full board, free drinks, free soft drinks with or without late departure all payable in £ (the range was confusing as were the currencies quoted) are also available. Any drinks and meals not included in your tariff are relatively expensive and chargeable to your room. Egypt prefers payment in foreign currency and therefore you need to keep your wits about you to ensure you are getting a good rate when settling any bill – the Egyptian pound £ rate was very good).

There are an impressive array of activities are available (as extras) via the hotel and the hotel has a link with Emperor Divers for all diving activities. How many of these you might want to do in the heat is questionable.

The hotel consists of a number of separate blocks, none with lifts (the hotel is not disability friendly), scattered around a greenish set of grounds. It has a bit of a rabbit warren feel about it. Rooms are large, in good order and reasonably well appointed. The TV has BBC World News plus other regional and European channels. The room air conditioning struggled to maintain a reasonable temperature in the fierce summer heat. For some design reason, water and sewage handling tanks seem to be in the middle of some of the grass courtyards and there certainly was a smell of something whilst I stayed there. On this occasion being away from the pool and communal areas, the room was quiet and it was easy to get to sleep. Meals are served buffet style and the choice is very large and of reasonable quality. There are a large number of swimming pools for people of all ages and abilities – some look ok for children. Travel to the airport takes not more than 15 minutes.

Check-out was straight forwards other than the fact that the Luggage Boys insisted on collecting your luggage from your room (even if you were half-way downstairs with it) and then demanded a tip and told you if it was not large enough and would not move until you gave them more.

Other than its somewhat isolated location with respect to the main part of the marina, there is nothing wrong with this hotel that should make a “not too choosy traveler” decide to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Beverley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

returned from two weeks all inclusive at marina lodge . Had to fight for various things which were meant to be included in holiday price. Made to feel like second class citizens if you were staying all inclusive. Asked to see manager but were fobbed off with an assistant manager with an american accent who was rude and told us various inconsistencies.The only air conditioned bar was closed for alleged refurbishment at the height of the season but then re-opened after two / three days with no change what so ever. All inclusve guest were then told that they could not order drinks from this bar but told to use the external pool bar which had no air conditioning , drinks served in plastic glasses by unhelpful and incompetant staff.
There were no snacks as advertised only left over buns from breakfast and when we asked about this we were told that we could purchase these from the pool bar. The food in the resturant was satisfactory but the service was very poor.
The beach although a short diststance from the hotel was adequate with more helpful staff but be warned that the water is tidal and spends most of the day out which makes accessing the reef very difficult.
Three out of five of us were ill for the duraton of the stay as were many of the other guests we spoke to.
The dive school was good but seemed expensive .
Dont go here for a relaxing holiday as you will spend your holiday fighting for everthing , even something as essential as water !!!!!!!

Somerset
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I have just returned from two weeks at this hotel with my husband and 17 year old daughter. Like, I guess, most people I did my homework on this hotel, having read numerous reports, as well as visiting it 3 years ago on the occasions that we used Emperor Divers for dive trips.
We were all really looking forward to our holiday but I am sorry to say that we were definitely staying in the same hotel as Mike118638 and Diverdavo. WHAT A LET DOWN!! This is my sixth consecutive year on an ‘All Inclusive’ holiday to Egypt and recommend it I will not. The management need replacing. It wasn’t until the last few days of the holiday that I was made aware that the general manager was in fact a man who never made himself known to us. All dealings were with the Food and Drinks manager, who I thought was the top dog! He was very rude and as soon as you said something he didn’t want to hear he suddenly didn’t understand what was being said, or indeed would walk off.
On two occasions we did not have hot water in the room, both times it decided to run out whilst my daughter was midway through showering. On a different occasion we went back to the room to find we had no electricity. I might add that by the second week of the holiday we were so fed up with the amount of time wasted on complaining that we started to laugh at all the occurrences. The electricity problem was sorted out very quickly I must add.
All Inclusive guests were made to feel like second class citizens. We were allowed to sit in the 50 bar with our drinks that we had to obtain from the Shark Bites bar, in plastic drinking vessels. There was a snack menu available at the Shark Bites bar for anyone wishing to purchase the snacks. These then had to be ordered and paid for in the 50 bar. Confused yet? We were!!! I have never been to an all inclusive hotel where I have been made to go into the restaurant for lunch. There have always been sandwiches, pizzas and the usual burgers and chips etc available to consume around the pool. Not here.
The staff, as in the workers, are very good and very helpful. I have a disability and use a walking stick and must mention Alaa, Mohamed, Mohamed nick named Freddy (the Freddy Mercury look alike) and Mustafa from the bar, Misara and the chefs from the restaurant. They were all ready with a helping hand and very kind. The pool men were fantastic as was Baaha our room boy. Mido and Elana, the Animation Team, were very good at their job, very polite and not too pushy. They were also very caring, always asking if I was ok and offering support at all times.
When a group of us were waiting for the 5 minutes that turned into an hour to see ‘the manager’ (who turned out to be one of the deputys), I felt very faint and had to sit down. It was Mido form Animation who came to my aid, with my husband, he offered bottled water and a rather refreshing lemon drink. He was very concerned and offered assistance at any time. I must at this point add that I was and still am suffering from the infamous Marina Lodge stomach upset. Having taken one bottle of Amytal followed by one pack of Amytal capsals from the local pharmacy, being an antiseptic for the intestine.
Another observation I made was that the Egyptian guests were treated far differently to the rest of us. One example being that Egyptians were offered ice cream at meal times, no other guests were to my knowledge. On one occasion I noticed a rather embarassed lady offer her ice cream to some small French children. To me that tells a lot about the hotel's policies.
To finish off, as Mike118638 mentions, if you're at this hotel just to dive and not too bothered about your accommodation then this hotel will be fine on a half board basis. If you are expecting more, then try somewhere else!

qusier
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

very good for relaxing.very good food quick service &the staff was very friendly and kind .Special Thanks for the animation team medo and alina & chif Abrahim

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

It was our second trip to Marina Lodge. Still everything excellent. This hotel is very quiet and comfortable place. The new beach is wonderful for snorkeling and relaxing. Next time we will come in winter with our friends..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I have just returned from two weeks at this hotel with my wife and two children, aged 13 and 16 years. We are not divers, although my children did use the services of Emperor. I have no complaint of Emperor and found that they were very well ran and extremely helpful. It's a shame I cannot say the same for The Marina Lodge Hotel. On the one hand there are some good qualities about this hotel i.e. some of the staff are very good, nice swimming pools, however, I don't think I have ever come across such a poorly managed hotel. Unfortunately we had many complaints, most of which originated from the poor quality of the all inclusive package. The all day snacks consisted of 'local cakes' in the morning and afternoon, which appeared to have been left over from breakfast! There was no ice cream, as promised, on offer. Although when we left we were told that they were going to allow free ice cream 2 days per week!! All inclusive customers are also only allowed to get their drinks, in plastic cups, from the bar near the pool (not air conditioned), whilst half board customers were allowed to buy drinks from the 50 bar (air conditioned) and were trusted to use glasses.
My wife and I were both very ill with a severe upset and infact my wife is unwell still now (2 weeks later). I would estimate 60% of the customers were ill with terrible tummy cramps, which must be connected to something at the hotel, although I don't know what.
When we tried to complain and asked to see the manager, at first this was refused, however, we were then told that he would be 5 minutes. Eventually an hour later we were told that he was in a meeting and could not see us. We were then seen by a 'manager' who spoke with an American accent who openly lied and was very rude.
I could go on for sometime detailing my complaints, which did spoil the holiday to some extent, but must say that it did have some redeeming features e.g. the Animation Team, who were very good and great fun. Also the rooms were fine, so long as you closed the door before the smell of the drains crept in.
Anyway, if you're at this hotel just to dive and not too bothered about your accommodation then this hotel will be fine, but if you are expecting more, then try somewhere else!

Dover, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

they really need to sort there act out a this hotel , the all inclusive package we paid for last week was not what i would call all inclusive !! you can`t have bar snacks , bottled mineral water ( in 40 degree heat ) every thing we had to fight for there was a lot of unhappy people here , i spoke to nearly all the management by the end of the week , the worst one was a rude food and beverage with an american accent , he was rude to me and to one of my group , on a plus side the bar , waiters and the housekeeping staff were all very helpful , also we dived through regal dive with emporer divers , were met on our first day by a rude , snappy operations manager , who upset a few of my group , there are a lot of hidden costs and a 35 euro upgrade to go to a dive site only one hour further that the one we were at the day before, we as a group felt ripped off by this , also you have to pay 2 euros aday enviorment tax that you won`t be told about untill you are there , then the tip of the ice burg was that they put a 7 euro donation on all of our bills for there chamber , having worked at one of asia`s premier dive schools i thought tis was disgusting , if people want to donate its up to them but you don`t put it on there bill with out asking , the equipment hire was very expensive and although we as a group spent nearly £9000 on this trip none of us felt we got the service or value for money we deserve , we will not be returning or recomending this dive school to any of our friends , i hope if you go there you have a better time than we did and that the hours of my holiday i spent fighting for what we were entitled to will pay off for you in the future .

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Marina Lodge at Port Ghalib? Share your experiences!