“Peaceful stay at good hotel with beautiful, beach, pier and coral reef” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip Resort

Save Saved
You added Tulip Resort to your Saves list
Tulip Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17th km Southest Marsa Alam Airport, Marsa Alam +12345, Egypt   |
Ranked #30 of 65 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Peaceful stay at good hotel with beautiful, beach, pier and coral reef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Thomson do not offer a package deal to this hotel but booked it for us through Cosmos. We were given a contact number for the Cosmos representative but when we got there found it was no longer attainable, so we will not be using Cosmos again. Another English couple booked with Thomas Cook who offer a package deal using the Thomson flight from Gatwick.

THE HOTEL AND SETTING: The hotel is about a 20 minute transfer from the airport. There is an old and new section and we stayed in the old. The hotel is in the middle of the desert bordering the Red Sea with no facilities close by. A taxi or the hotel shuttle, which is 7 euros a head each way, is needed to get to Marsa Alam town. We only saw 3 other British people during our 2 week stay, the cliental being mostly German and Italian. Staff are very friendly and helpful and many can speak English.

ROOMS: The design of the hotel is very good as it appears all rooms overlook the sea and the pools. There are three floors and we had a room on the top floor with a balcony. Each block of three is staggered so that each individual balcony is not overlooked by its neighbour. Despite being in blocks with many rooms joined we found it very quiet and had undisturbed sleep. The rooms are spacious and the bed comfortable (twin or double available). There is a spacious shower room with hairdryer. No tea making facilities in the room but as all inclusive this wasn’t really necessary as tea and coffee making facilities were available in the restaurant and reception areas. The room was very clean. The chap cleaning the room was very friendly and the “towel sculptures” got more elaborate as the weeks progressed – dogs, swans, turtles – quite a talent! There were two minus points regarding the room. Firstly, on the night of arrival a glass shelve above the sink dropped to the floor when touched and smashed into many fragments. The brackets fixing it were of a poor design and it didn’t look like safety glass as the shards were very sharp. Secondly, although the air-con was set at 16 degrees C, the temperature was never that low and the room felt quite warm if the air-con had been off for a period of time. We stayed in May and I think that the air-con would have been inadequate for the size of room if it had been later in the year.

THE FOOD: There was only one restaurant, but a good selection and good standard of food was available 3 times a day as well as snacks at the beach café. Everything looked hygienic with the chefs serving wearing gloves. There was a good choice for vegetarians, but beware as certain dishes that were referred to as “vegetable” contained meat, so check first. There was basic “house plonk” available with all-inclusive which was drinkable, but better quality wine was extra. On certain nights you could book a table at the beach café for a fish dinner, though I think this was an extra 26 euros a head. One minus point and source of confusion was water. When we arrived there was no water in the room. I asked at the bar and was told that you had to pay extra, a large bottle costing 3 euros - not all-inclusive! Water being a necessity, I complained about this at reception and was told that you could fill the bottles from the mineral water dispensers around the hotel which was a bit of a pain every time. Occasionally “free” bottles were left in the room, but not every day. Reading Trip Advisor since my return I see that other people got bottled water on showing their wrist bands so what exactly is the rule?

THE POOLS AND BEACH: There are plenty of sun beds and umbrellas around the beach and pools. There is a fenced off shallow section for children in the pool. The beach consists of sand and a fringing coral reef which is reached by a 800 metre long pier. The down side of this is that the water is extremely shallow close to the shore so if you want to cool off in the sea, deeper water is accessed by wading out or walking along the pier. If you want to swim in the sea, but don’t want to go to the end of the pier there is access to waist deep water via a ladder about 300 metres along the pier. There are no life guards.

PIER AND HOUSE REEF: The house reef is at the end of the pier and shallow sand, and drops off dramatically into 15 metres (50 feet) of water so is only suitable for those who are happy to swim out of their depth. The water is crystal clear and you can see the bottom. The coral reef is excellent for snorkelling and diving and has an abundance of life including surgeonfish, pufferfish, large triggerfish, rays and turtles. For those who want to stay dry there is much to see in the shallow water whilst strolling along the pier, including moray eels, sea snakes, pufferfish, Picasso triggerfish and blue spotted rays and occasionally small black tip reef sharks. The pier is lit at night so you can have a pleasant after dinner walk.

ORCA DIVE CENTRE: Conveniently located in the hotel the dive centre offers training and beach and boat dives for the experienced. No medical is required, just a valid certificate and a health form declaration. As experienced divers we were allowed to dive unguided. The main problem about the centre is that, because of weight restriction on the flight we had to hire some of the equipment, some of which we found faulty, leaking connections, etc., so had to be changed. It is a pity as otherwise it was a good centre with friendly staff.

ENTERTAINMENT AND FACILITIES: Every evening there was children’s entertainment and songs before the main event which varied, some evenings being better than others. The best was the traditional Asian night with belly-dancer, whirling Dervishes, Egyptian dancers, etc. There is a kid's club and a gym which we didn’t use.

SUMMING UP: Yes, we would go again. For those that want a quiet holiday in a remote spot and like the swimming, snorkelling, diving, etc., this may be for you. Biggest minus was the flight back to Gatwick that lands at 2.20 am!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We've just returned from a fabulous 2 week break here. It's v close to the airport (20 min transfer?), 800m jetty, good snorkelling, good food, well maintained, excellent staff. It is isolated - we never stepped foot outside of the hotel complex in the entire 2 weeks as there was nowhere to walk. The trips on offer (we never got around to taking any) were to other bays to see dolphins, manatees etc. However, you could occasionally see turtles from the jetty once you got your eye in (I even got to swim with one) and other guests had been lucky enough to see dolphins going past.

V few Brits in the hotel - largely Italians and Germans - but staff were keen to practise their English and reception staff spoke good English. Take everything you are likely to need with you - there were onsite shops including a pharmacy but they were v expensive. Take euros or sterling for spending, not Egyptian currency - all prices were quoted in euros. But other than tips, you won't need any money unless you buy some trips. We would rate this hotel 10/10 with a gold star for service, although another British couple had a very different experience and were especially disappointed with the chamber maiding service they received however we couldn't fault the service we received.

Our airport to hotel transfer was with a company called A2B. They failed to pick us (and a load of other people) up from the airport and it took some effort to sort out our return transfer with them with the hotel reception intervening on our behalf - I'm pursuing a complaint and refund directly with A2B and also Travel Republic which we booked through. Although other quests had used them before with no problems, I recommend that you get the hotel to arrange your transfers for you or simply get a taxi on arrival.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Well, I have just returned from a 7th trip to Tulip and can honestly say that I still love it, love all the people there and love how well we are looked after. It is clean, the food is good and if you don't like what is on offer in one restaurant, you can pop to the other. Fresh pasta and pizzas are cooked to order and there is always something on the BBQ and the cakes............oh dear! To anyone looking to go who looks on Hotels4U or Bookings.com and sees that the hotel is apparently full, please keep trying as it is more likely that the contracts have not been signed yet. I have looked for next April, having spoken to the manager before I left, wanting the last week in April, and both sites say it is full, and he told me they haven't signed up yet. Obviously the site wants people to book something, but saying that the hotel is fully booked is very naughty.
Also, beware of the transfers - we havenever had an issue before and have been lots of times, but we were not met by A2B despite having paid for a private transfer to the hotel, and had to pay a further 40 euros to get to the hotel. They did arrive coming back, but we had to chase them for times etc. Luckily, at the wonderful Tulip, the receptionsists were more than happy to phone for us. We wanted to go to Abu Dabbab to see the turtles and were told that unfortunately the grass has all been destroyed by the tourists, and they are only findable with a guide. We went to another bay and there were turtles and dugong, the guide was lovely and when my sister-in-law had a bit of a panic, he sorted her out and we had a great day. Ensure you take plenty of suncream and a hat though, as there was no shade and no other facilities - but it was so worth it. The snorkelling from the jetty was brilliant, and the divers went out twice a day and the jetty is lit at night, so you can walk down and see the incredible sea life with the aid of a spot light. If you take a torch, you can look for things all the way down. The only thing that spoilt the jetty and the snorkelling was the kids jumping in, getting out and jumping in again, despite being requested not to, and treating it as a waterpark, rather than a reserve, which meant the fish went away until it quietened down again. Thomson have also changed the time of the flight which used to get there early evening, but now is around 830pm, which means instead of getting home at 10.30pm we got in at 2am, 20 minutes early, but oh Lordy! when you have been up all day, that is a good 20 hours before you even get your luggage, your car and start for home. Maybe it is cheaper to land at that time as I know the airport is the most expensive in Egypt. None of this will stop me going, because Tulip Resort, Sameh and his team and the amazing setting mean the most incredible holiday can be had. I have said before on reviews of this hotel, if something is wrong or you have suggestions, sort it out at the time. Sameh is available practically 24 hours a day, and he will be on it the instant you tell him, and you won't have a single moment festering over something. I have been to other hotels and this is by far the most relaxing with the best setting and I hope when you go you will have the same fabulous time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Tulip hotel provided an amazing and relaxing holiday. The resort truly has everything from yoga on the beach, theater performances at night, live music with dinner, kite surfing, snorkeling, scuba, massage, heated pools, swim-up bars, and more! Truly an amazing getaway! We also went on day excursions to swim with sea turtles and dolphins! And also an exhausting but pleasant day to see the tombs in Luxor! The rooms are very spacious, modern, and clean. And in the staff you can literally find people that speak every language! However, a few negatives...as another reviewer pointed out, you do have to walk 10 minutes out a wood bridge to be able to swim/snorkel. This is pleasant and breezy and truly not a problem but you should be aware if you intended to swim out...you can't. You can go knee deep but then turn around and walk back to the bridge. The major problem with this resort is that they do not understand the concept of all inclusive. I have no problem paying for what I want but I expect to get what I pay for. Unfortunately, this hotel has up charges and add ons for everything. And they do not have any name brand cocktails, beers, or wines. Everything is only local and not very good. Please import the basics and we would be happy to pay for it!!! Furthermore, constantly being requested to show my wristband to be entitled to my free bottled waters was less than appealing. It really ruins your good mood when staff are constantly treating you like you are a criminal for asking for something that you've already paid for. Anyhow, I am certain Tulip will improve this small detail as I did actually give feedback to the management onsite. So...Enjoy your trip to Egypt! I would definitely return here!!

Room Tip: Tulip 2 has slightly more modern décor but Tulip 1 and 2 are the same size and accommodating.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had a wonderful time here, the staff are so attentive, it was spotless and the food was fine with me - yes it does get a little repetative and sometimes you find yourself having the same things, but there was plenty to choose from. Drinks are unusual, I love that they don't use spirit measures out there and to be fair they don't need to as their alcohol is weak, so a lot is needed to meet the standard of a UK standard 25ml whiskey! One must add there is a chanrge for pure fruit juices when in all inclusive, so I drank odd squash like juices but were yummy anyway :) We were lucky enough to be in the new section and therefore our room was far better then the picture presented with the dated bedding, the bathroom was wonderful also, very modern and stylish. The maid was great and we usually left a small tip, and received some wonderful towel art in return which was a lovely treat. Breakfast was my favourite in the buffet restaurant, as fresh croissants were always available which I doubt I will ever get sick of, I also recommend that if you have a stomach that is prone to upsets, then it is a good idea to eat some of their yoghurt, great for getting your body used to local bacteria etc - well helped me anyway! Snack hut on the beach does great Western style food and makes a nice change of scenery from the buffet. I would highly recommend strong factor suncreams, I tan really well and rarely burn but I burned badly! So please do not make the same mistake as i did thinking I would be fine, I would advise doing an excursion if available for you, we did a snorkelling one, and although you can have some free snorkelling experiences off the end of the jetty, the excursion allowed me to fulfil my dream of swimming alongside huge turtles!! (I weeped like a baby in my snorkle goggles!) The in pool bar is a lovely touch especially when you don't wanna get out of the pool, simply swim up and get great service, the towel guy is there early so you can get good dibs on a sun bed, although we never had trouble finding one. There was a bit of trouble with currency over there and they seemed to rarely have change in their own currency which I found odd, maybe take euros there instead. Overall a great time and a lovely relaxing holiday :)

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, no problem at all. All rooms appeared to face the pool or beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

myself and my sister stayed at the tulip from 12th to 26th feb..we booked with fleetway x

this was our 4th time in 4 years..
wow wow wow ! still a fantastic hotel!!
mr sameh the gm was on vacation..so mr omar welcomed us..hes a lovely guy and a tru gent ! x

yes its true not many english stay here..which i cant understand ? as thompson fly into marsa alam..but also if u do fly into hurghada its a 1 hour 40mins transfer ..

from check in the lovely mohamed youssery made us feel sooo special and we where upgraded to vip guests..lovely touch..
we where given room 2111 in the new part, near the beach with stunning views,
amed looked after our room and is a credit to tulip ! x
food is fantastic! the beef wellington was melt in the mouth! abdul and his fab staff where wonderful and we never had to ask for a drink..
anamation wr lovely .. my lovely lila x
sino.max..george..and our little soso..we still miss ur laff x lol

beach is stunning..clean..and litter free.. thanks to sam sam.and ashraf...lovely guys..x

beach snack bar was great and gamal was a star x

the tulup has two parts 1 & 2 ,, 2 being the new part..the reception in 2 has the wow factor ! very modern and bright..
boogie .eman..and sami made sure we had our fave tipple as soon as we walked in ! x
tulip 1 for us was still the best..
mr tamer and his assistant ashraf where lovely x
we loved our special cocktails made for us by the best barman in egypt mohamed hasip ! x
so all in all we had a fab time..
and we urge all our fellow brits to try our lovely tulip !
mr sameh is such s lovely guy..he came back from his vacation just before we left and came over to us to make sure we had everythin we needed..
a lovely touch..by a lovely guy..x
so a big thank you to every1 at tulip !
we had a fab time x
barbara & joan x x

• Stayed February 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a week at the Tulip. On first impressions the hotel looked fine. Hotel is well set out and rooms are spacious and comfortable. We found the food plentiful but rather bland. The beach is disappointing as not very long and at this time of the year very windy. Lovely heated outdoor pool the cold pool is just that very cold,not many people brave enough to have a dip. I was very disappointed to have to pay for wifi in the reception area. This is the first all inclusive hotel I have been to where you have to pay for it. Did not always get a signal and when complaining to reception staff did not get any joy as English not well spoken or understood. Entertainment is very low key and comedy night was an insult,not the least funny. The shuttle service to Port Ghalib was very expensive and only ran at 20.00 and returned at 22.00 not giving much time to look around. If you are going to this resort as a 2nd week following a Nile cruise as we did be warned there is over a 5 hour transfer. All in all a little disappointed with this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tulip Resort? Share your experiences!