“Beautiful, economical, friendly staff, great food, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip Resort

Booking.com Otel.com
Tulip Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17th km Southest Marsa Alam Airport, Marsa Alam +12345, Egypt   |
Ranked #28 of 66 hotels in Marsa Alam
Turin, Italy
“Beautiful, economical, friendly staff, great food, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Tulip hotel provided an amazing and relaxing holiday. The resort truly has everything from yoga on the beach, theater performances at night, live music with dinner, kite surfing, snorkeling, scuba, massage, heated pools, swim-up bars, and more! Truly an amazing getaway! We also went on day excursions to swim with sea turtles and dolphins! And also an exhausting but pleasant day to see the tombs in Luxor! The rooms are very spacious, modern, and clean. And in the staff you can literally find people that speak every language! However, a few negatives...as another reviewer pointed out, you do have to walk 10 minutes out a wood bridge to be able to swim/snorkel. This is pleasant and breezy and truly not a problem but you should be aware if you intended to swim out...you can't. You can go knee deep but then turn around and walk back to the bridge. The major problem with this resort is that they do not understand the concept of all inclusive. I have no problem paying for what I want but I expect to get what I pay for. Unfortunately, this hotel has up charges and add ons for everything. And they do not have any name brand cocktails, beers, or wines. Everything is only local and not very good. Please import the basics and we would be happy to pay for it!!! Furthermore, constantly being requested to show my wristband to be entitled to my free bottled waters was less than appealing. It really ruins your good mood when staff are constantly treating you like you are a criminal for asking for something that you've already paid for. Anyhow, I am certain Tulip will improve this small detail as I did actually give feedback to the management onsite. So...Enjoy your trip to Egypt! I would definitely return here!!

Room Tip: Tulip 2 has slightly more modern décor but Tulip 1 and 2 are the same size and accommodating.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had a wonderful time here, the staff are so attentive, it was spotless and the food was fine with me - yes it does get a little repetative and sometimes you find yourself having the same things, but there was plenty to choose from. Drinks are unusual, I love that they don't use spirit measures out there and to be fair they don't need to as their alcohol is weak, so a lot is needed to meet the standard of a UK standard 25ml whiskey! One must add there is a chanrge for pure fruit juices when in all inclusive, so I drank odd squash like juices but were yummy anyway :) We were lucky enough to be in the new section and therefore our room was far better then the picture presented with the dated bedding, the bathroom was wonderful also, very modern and stylish. The maid was great and we usually left a small tip, and received some wonderful towel art in return which was a lovely treat. Breakfast was my favourite in the buffet restaurant, as fresh croissants were always available which I doubt I will ever get sick of, I also recommend that if you have a stomach that is prone to upsets, then it is a good idea to eat some of their yoghurt, great for getting your body used to local bacteria etc - well helped me anyway! Snack hut on the beach does great Western style food and makes a nice change of scenery from the buffet. I would highly recommend strong factor suncreams, I tan really well and rarely burn but I burned badly! So please do not make the same mistake as i did thinking I would be fine, I would advise doing an excursion if available for you, we did a snorkelling one, and although you can have some free snorkelling experiences off the end of the jetty, the excursion allowed me to fulfil my dream of swimming alongside huge turtles!! (I weeped like a baby in my snorkle goggles!) The in pool bar is a lovely touch especially when you don't wanna get out of the pool, simply swim up and get great service, the towel guy is there early so you can get good dibs on a sun bed, although we never had trouble finding one. There was a bit of trouble with currency over there and they seemed to rarely have change in their own currency which I found odd, maybe take euros there instead. Overall a great time and a lovely relaxing holiday :)

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room, no problem at all. All rooms appeared to face the pool or beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

myself and my sister stayed at the tulip from 12th to 26th feb..we booked with fleetway x

this was our 4th time in 4 years..
wow wow wow ! still a fantastic hotel!!
mr sameh the gm was on vacation..so mr omar welcomed us..hes a lovely guy and a tru gent ! x

yes its true not many english stay here..which i cant understand ? as thompson fly into marsa alam..but also if u do fly into hurghada its a 1 hour 40mins transfer ..

from check in the lovely mohamed youssery made us feel sooo special and we where upgraded to vip guests..lovely touch..
we where given room 2111 in the new part, near the beach with stunning views,
amed looked after our room and is a credit to tulip ! x
food is fantastic! the beef wellington was melt in the mouth! abdul and his fab staff where wonderful and we never had to ask for a drink..
anamation wr lovely .. my lovely lila x
sino.max..george..and our little soso..we still miss ur laff x lol

beach is stunning..clean..and litter free.. thanks to sam sam.and ashraf...lovely guys..x

beach snack bar was great and gamal was a star x

the tulup has two parts 1 & 2 ,, 2 being the new part..the reception in 2 has the wow factor ! very modern and bright..
boogie .eman..and sami made sure we had our fave tipple as soon as we walked in ! x
tulip 1 for us was still the best..
mr tamer and his assistant ashraf where lovely x
we loved our special cocktails made for us by the best barman in egypt mohamed hasip ! x
so all in all we had a fab time..
and we urge all our fellow brits to try our lovely tulip !
mr sameh is such s lovely guy..he came back from his vacation just before we left and came over to us to make sure we had everythin we needed..
a lovely touch..by a lovely guy..x
so a big thank you to every1 at tulip !
we had a fab time x
barbara & joan x x

• Stayed February 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a week at the Tulip. On first impressions the hotel looked fine. Hotel is well set out and rooms are spacious and comfortable. We found the food plentiful but rather bland. The beach is disappointing as not very long and at this time of the year very windy. Lovely heated outdoor pool the cold pool is just that very cold,not many people brave enough to have a dip. I was very disappointed to have to pay for wifi in the reception area. This is the first all inclusive hotel I have been to where you have to pay for it. Did not always get a signal and when complaining to reception staff did not get any joy as English not well spoken or understood. Entertainment is very low key and comedy night was an insult,not the least funny. The shuttle service to Port Ghalib was very expensive and only ran at 20.00 and returned at 22.00 not giving much time to look around. If you are going to this resort as a 2nd week following a Nile cruise as we did be warned there is over a 5 hour transfer. All in all a little disappointed with this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cesena, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our overall experience was neutral. We were bored and happy to come home. The problem, however, was not in the bad quality of the place or any specific complaints, just that it's definitely not our favorite type of vacation.

The place is well-kept and nice, but it's in the middle of nowhere and there is nowhere to go besides the excursions. In February it gets super windy, so even after swimming in the warm pool we had to dry ourselves with towels asap and get dressed. At the beach there are shields against the wind, so you can sunbathe in shelter. As for swimming in the sea, it's not the most pleasant experience either - to reach the beautiful coral reef one has to walk for 800 m along the bridge, as the sea is shallow. However, we did swim a couple of times, and it was beautiful. Again on the way back we were shivering because of the wind.

We had soft all inclusive, which means we had to pay for our drinks, but the thing was that the staff isn't used to it, as all the guests are divided into 2 types - Germans with hard all inclusive plans, who drink without paying just by showing a violet bracelet, and Italians, who never drink, since it's not included. So, every time we were ordering a drink, we really brought confusion, they started to explain us every time that we'll have to pay, and when we said that we knew they were at a loss how we should pay and charging our room was a long process every time. The best service was at the pool's bar with a bar-attendant Marco, who knew what to do and was serving us drinks and giving us bills fast and without useless misunderstandings.

The food was good with a big choice. I suggest that people who complaint about food remember what they paid, as being low cost this place is more than decent. The restaurant though looks more like a military or factory canteen, where you have to queue to get food, it's noisy and waiters attack you to take away the dishes as soon as possible, which I was ignoring by taking my time to eat)))

Twice during the week there were special dinners at the beach restaurant (one usual Monday special dinner, the other being St. Valentine's). Those were extras we were happy to take to escape the factory style dinner at least twice. At those dinners we were offered seafood, which was good, but we were not warned that the st. Valentine's dinner will be identical to the romantic Monday one, so we had to eat exactly the same stuff, which was though still better than the usual included dinner.

The stuff was very pleasant and friendly, though watch out for your women, Egyptian men can be too familiar in their behavior. The shop-assistant in the main lobby was bothering me when I came by without my husband and also 2 members of the entertainment team stopped me in the restaurant saying something stupid and trying to joke with me. Another comment about the entertainment - it was too loud and aimed only at Italians. Loud Italian-speaking youngsters were yelling at the beach trying to drag people into a volleyball game or some silly dance. Too much is too much, and the louder the merrier doesn't work for all.

The complex looks nice, but just a couple of meters away there are piles of dirt and total desert.

In general, this place is good for people who are tired of the busy tiresome city life and want peace, no activity, lying on the beach and reading a book. If you like adventures, lively discos, bars, swimming and new impressions, go somewhere else.

A note - in February the most lucky in Marsa Alam are the kite-surfers. The wind is crazy, the prices are at its lowest, the best time))) I wish we were kite-surfers, maybe then our winter break would be way more fun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just returned from an all inclusive week at the Tulip resort. To be fair its a bit off season and five days with no sun leaves you rather bored. Overall the Tulip Resort is not bad at all and very good value for what we paid. Room great, spacious, Only one restaurant but plenty of choice, food ok, although nothing special but you wont go hungry. Nice pools, one is heated. Beach which is part of the hotel is basically hard rolled sand, plenty of sun beds and shades with beach cafe for limited snacks. Didnt really use the watersports as rather chilly, it gets pretty windy on the beach.The hotel reef is 700m out on a pier and is quite exposed and very deep. Not much chance of sea swimming as the bay is very shallow out to the reef. Mini bar expensive -take your own tipple and a big bag of peanuts for your sundowner.
Staff all very friendly and the whole complex is very well maintained.
It is very popular with German and Italian guests and we were in a minority of 2 I think.
Why the warning? Well the big issue is that once you are there, unless you go on some fairly expensive excursions, there is no where to go. Whilst we understood it was isolated before we booked, we had'nt really appeciated quite how restricted you are. There are no taxis about or buses. You can book a taxi but expect to pay 20- 30 euros for a fairly short trip to Port Ghalib, the nearest alternative venue with Pizza Hut and TGI Fridays, plus some shops round a newly built marina. There is no where to walk except along the deserted and frankly shabby beaches either side of the hotel which are strewn with plastic rubbish.
I hope the toe rag that stole from our terrace, the lovely big clam shell that we found on a remote beach was strip searched at the airport!!

Now we did take one excursion and here I have to raise a red flag to warn you. This is nothing to do with the Hotel at all. This concerns an excursion to Al Quesir offered by reps in many if not all the hotels. This is an historic town and boasts an ancient fortress, ancient mosque and a unigue Roman Catholic Church. The afternoon and early evening tour includes all of these plus some shopping time. Sounds good. ITS IS NOT. The town is about the most depressing place I have ever been to and really unless you have a need to see a slum town, with rubbish strewn everywhere, ramshackle derelict buildings in dispepair, filth everywhere - dont go.
Of the main attractions - The Ancient Fortress, which should be a National Treasure, isnt. There are some bits and pieces of its history. Everything is covered is dust. There were chicken bones and other rubbish lying around the main courtyard. The underground Cistern approached down very steep stairs is of course dark. However the lights dont work and the tour guides mobile phone torch did little to illuminate things. Shame it could be much better.

The Mosque was not desperately much to see although its history is interesting.

Next, the Roman Catholic Church which is quite pristine having been recently refurbished. However it is located in the centre of what was a very large factory complex which processed Phosphate ores from the nearby mountains before shipping the refined fertilzer via the company built port. The Italian owned company employed a large work force and many became converted to RC, hence the church being built within the factory. However Phosphate dust was extremely dangerous and many of the work force died of lung infections and the plant eventually closed. Many of the original buildings still remain as you see when you are driven into this industrial wasteland. There seems little evidence that the site has been cleared from Phosphate dust. It is therefore absolutely unbelievable that tourists are taken anywhere near this Health and Safety nightmare.

the rest of the trip did not improve as we were taken to a building in the middle of a building site to look at some assorted clothing and the dreaded perfume making emporium, then some other Bazaar shopping. If you want to buy egyptian tourist trash, this was the place to come. Finally to a Restaurant for a drink. I would not have left my dog there.

I have to say that the several members from 4 differant hotels on our bus all insisted to our "tour Guide" that we leave immediately. On complaining to the rep we booked the tour with, he simply said "this is the real Egypt". All I can say folks is that was a sad sight to see and I thoroughly recommend you give it a miss.

Room Tip: We were in the newer section, close to the reception/restaurant on the ground floor. Looking out to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a fantastic hotel and resort. The all inclusive food was great lots of choice and variety. The staff in all areas were so attentive and nothing was too much effort. The rooms were clean and the beach is literally at the end of the hotel, great location. Snorkelling was amazing, and kite surfing on the beach available. The reps made a great effort to get everyone involved. A little piece of paradise, so much so I have just booked to go back in March and also for christmas and new year again, all in all a fantastic holiday, would recommend to all, great for families and has everything there you could want. Thank you Tulip resort for a great time, see you soon. Rachael :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are close to all amenities
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tulip Resort? Share your experiences!