“Not a complaint - just some advice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tulip Resort

You added Tulip Resort to your Saves list
Tulip Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17th km Southest Marsa Alam Airport, Marsa Alam +12345, Egypt   |
Ranked #32 of 66 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Not a complaint - just some advice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just returned from an all inclusive week at the Tulip resort. To be fair its a bit off season and five days with no sun leaves you rather bored. Overall the Tulip Resort is not bad at all and very good value for what we paid. Room great, spacious, Only one restaurant but plenty of choice, food ok, although nothing special but you wont go hungry. Nice pools, one is heated. Beach which is part of the hotel is basically hard rolled sand, plenty of sun beds and shades with beach cafe for limited snacks. Didnt really use the watersports as rather chilly, it gets pretty windy on the beach.The hotel reef is 700m out on a pier and is quite exposed and very deep. Not much chance of sea swimming as the bay is very shallow out to the reef. Mini bar expensive -take your own tipple and a big bag of peanuts for your sundowner.
Staff all very friendly and the whole complex is very well maintained.
It is very popular with German and Italian guests and we were in a minority of 2 I think.
Why the warning? Well the big issue is that once you are there, unless you go on some fairly expensive excursions, there is no where to go. Whilst we understood it was isolated before we booked, we had'nt really appeciated quite how restricted you are. There are no taxis about or buses. You can book a taxi but expect to pay 20- 30 euros for a fairly short trip to Port Ghalib, the nearest alternative venue with Pizza Hut and TGI Fridays, plus some shops round a newly built marina. There is no where to walk except along the deserted and frankly shabby beaches either side of the hotel which are strewn with plastic rubbish.
I hope the toe rag that stole from our terrace, the lovely big clam shell that we found on a remote beach was strip searched at the airport!!

Now we did take one excursion and here I have to raise a red flag to warn you. This is nothing to do with the Hotel at all. This concerns an excursion to Al Quesir offered by reps in many if not all the hotels. This is an historic town and boasts an ancient fortress, ancient mosque and a unigue Roman Catholic Church. The afternoon and early evening tour includes all of these plus some shopping time. Sounds good. ITS IS NOT. The town is about the most depressing place I have ever been to and really unless you have a need to see a slum town, with rubbish strewn everywhere, ramshackle derelict buildings in dispepair, filth everywhere - dont go.
Of the main attractions - The Ancient Fortress, which should be a National Treasure, isnt. There are some bits and pieces of its history. Everything is covered is dust. There were chicken bones and other rubbish lying around the main courtyard. The underground Cistern approached down very steep stairs is of course dark. However the lights dont work and the tour guides mobile phone torch did little to illuminate things. Shame it could be much better.

The Mosque was not desperately much to see although its history is interesting.

Next, the Roman Catholic Church which is quite pristine having been recently refurbished. However it is located in the centre of what was a very large factory complex which processed Phosphate ores from the nearby mountains before shipping the refined fertilzer via the company built port. The Italian owned company employed a large work force and many became converted to RC, hence the church being built within the factory. However Phosphate dust was extremely dangerous and many of the work force died of lung infections and the plant eventually closed. Many of the original buildings still remain as you see when you are driven into this industrial wasteland. There seems little evidence that the site has been cleared from Phosphate dust. It is therefore absolutely unbelievable that tourists are taken anywhere near this Health and Safety nightmare.

the rest of the trip did not improve as we were taken to a building in the middle of a building site to look at some assorted clothing and the dreaded perfume making emporium, then some other Bazaar shopping. If you want to buy egyptian tourist trash, this was the place to come. Finally to a Restaurant for a drink. I would not have left my dog there.

I have to say that the several members from 4 differant hotels on our bus all insisted to our "tour Guide" that we leave immediately. On complaining to the rep we booked the tour with, he simply said "this is the real Egypt". All I can say folks is that was a sad sight to see and I thoroughly recommend you give it a miss.

Room Tip: We were in the newer section, close to the reception/restaurant on the ground floor. Looking out to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a fantastic hotel and resort. The all inclusive food was great lots of choice and variety. The staff in all areas were so attentive and nothing was too much effort. The rooms were clean and the beach is literally at the end of the hotel, great location. Snorkelling was amazing, and kite surfing on the beach available. The reps made a great effort to get everyone involved. A little piece of paradise, so much so I have just booked to go back in March and also for christmas and new year again, all in all a fantastic holiday, would recommend to all, great for families and has everything there you could want. Thank you Tulip resort for a great time, see you soon. Rachael :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are close to all amenities
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent Christmas and New Year at this wonderful Hotel. The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious. The whole experience was great and I had a few tears when I left. This was our first time in Egypt and I am going to book to go back next Christmas. The room service was amazing and webwere looked after by Mustafa very well. All the restaurant staff were great and they always made you laugh and were very helpful. The animation team were very good and they did a very good job each day. If you are thinking of booking this holiday do it and you will not be disappointed. My daughter has now booked to go again in March. Thank you all so much Tulip Resort we loved it
Marie McMonagle

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New England, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

this is the scond time for me in the hotel and i found on this visit some thing wrong , my room was very dirty there is only one towel for two person , no shampoo ....i remmembered in my first visit i met the cleaning manager and he welcomed me so much and i asked for him they told me he had been left , the GM had to returned him back inorder to come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Returned from the tulip resort just under a week ago and i miss it very much. This hotel and the grounds and location are gorgeous. The room was spacious and had everything we needed.
We upgraded to VIP inclusive for and extra £36 per person for week which included 24 drinks, unlimited bottled water, 1 visit per week to the beach restaurant, fruit bowl in the room once per week, refill of the mini bar once per week (excluding wine), 1 visit per week to Port Ghalib (although I found it to be pointless as it was very artificial), slippers and dressing gowns and more. Well worth the little extra especially to drink after 11pm without having to pay for it!

The staff were great throughout our stay, including the management. Their hospitality was second to none.

The animation team weren't mine or my friends thing, my only criticism would be for them to listen, I don't want to have to keep saying no to them for my full 2 week vacation! And a couple of the younger ones were quite rude. Very clicky bunch of people. But the people who seemed to like entertainment seemed to like them so like I said, just not my thing.

Never had any issues with the food, it was varied and delicious throughout the whole 2 weeks. They have different themes every night i.e. Mexican, Egyptian, Indian, Italian etc. I never heard anyone complain, now that is saying something! :)

We were there for Christmas and New Year. The gala dinner for Christmas was on Christmas Eve, strange for us Brits not to celebrate it on Christmas Day (25th), but that didn't stop the party from being great. Food was brilliant, the entertainment good and the atmosphere was spot on. We opted on booking in the beach restaurant for Christmas night and weren't let down. Took a bottle of champers from duty free with us and it totally made our day, after a hard days sunbathing! Ha.
The New Year's Eve gala was fabulous too, the entertainment even better.

The beach is gorgeous, although some people, need I mention their nationality, were very greedy with the wind breakers. The sea (from the beach) was cold, although there are 2 heated pools and the sea off the jetty was fine. Snorkelling might I add was the best I've seen in Egypt yet, massive house reef and we even saw dolphins!

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel in the gorgeous and peaceful area of Marsa Alam. If you want a reasonable priced holiday in a beautiful setting and grounds and in a peaceful location and only 5 hours from the uk then I urge you to go! You will not be disappointed.

X <3 X

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hurghada, Egypt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

we go to this hotel and orca diving the hotel is very good rooms , food ,but the diving very bad the person lost experience for diving , some people don't understand English .
the orca management need to replay the work plane , plz understand what i mean .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just an update for this resort, as my previous reviews are already on here for all to see, and it is as good if not better than ever. Absolutely the only way to be able to leave without heartbreak, is knowing I am going back. I went twice in 2008, twice in 2009 and have been twice this year, and in between because Thomas Cook won't pay the landing fees and the transfer from Hurghada would double the journey time, I tried other places. 3 Corners was ok, Sol y Mar awful and was amazed when I returned in May of this year, that my husband and I were remembered, and they remembered my girls' names, who had also come with me on the earlier visits. Returning this time for my birthday, I was treated like a Queen and my husband like a Pharoah and we can't wait to go back. Love it, love the people, love the whole thing. Go - tell them Candi told you to go, tell them and tell them if you have issues, they will be resolved instantly, and the manager is always around to talk to. Sameh will always sort everything out so that you have the most amazing rest and an amazing house reef for snorkelling and diving. Go. Enjoy.

Room Tip: All rooms have lovely views, don't pay extra for a sea view - you are on the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tulip Resort? Share your experiences!