I stayed at this resort with my wife and 11-year old son in November 2010.
If you don't think of it as of a 4*+ one (as advertized) it may seem ALMOST OK, but in fact there is NO REAL REASON to come there - if you come to Egypt for swimming and snorkeling in the sea and not for the pool (!) of course.
1. TERRITORY is big, green and beautiful - really an oasis in the desert.
2. THE ROOM we were in (a suite) is OK - 2 bedrooms, big living room, very big terrace (balcony) - see my photos. BUT - strangely enough - the only bathroom (and WC) in this suite is IN the master bedroom - ??? So the privacy is partial - if you children (or friends) who sleep in a second, small bedroom want to use the bathroom they will open the door to master bedroom and pass exactly by your big and nice bed (and let you enjoy all the sounds at night) !
Two of the three couples in our group were put into the rooms with broken air conditioneers ! They were repaired in some days after the request...
3. THE BEACH - is long, sandy and nice. BUT - the sea bottom as you enter the sea is AWFUL - sharp dead corals and very shallow water for a hundred meters - very hard and inconvenient to walk, IMPOSSIBLE to swim. Nonsense.
4. The JETTY with ONE small ladder is the only one for 3 (!) hotels - so you can imagine the cue to get in or out of the water ! Even at small waves they put the red flag on and close the jetty and the only possibility for a real swim too.
5. The only way to enjoy really the great beach and the nice sandy entrance to the water (and reef life as well) is to take the free SHUTTLE BUS to the Abou Dabab bay (15 minutes ride, departures are every hour). But - you should sign for the exact time the day before (the seats are limited). And - be prepard to see the bus leaving full just in front of your nose - since nobody really checks who is on the list for this particular bus. The same thing may happen on the way back - you won't be let into the full bus (it doesn't matter that you have signed exactly for this time yesterday) and have to wait for an hour for the next one.
Abou Dabab is great but taking a shuttle bus every day instead of walking to the beach is annoying and lacks flexibility. Even when on vacation you have to observe the schedule !
By the way - there is a hotel right in the Abou Dabab bay. Why not to book it ?
6. The FOOD is basic. The decoration and presentation of it is sometimes better than the food itself. The dishes are almost the same every day, the variety is limited. The red wine is awful. The bar may suddenly run out of the glasses or out of the wine or beer or both ...
If you want to buy a bottle of local wine - it is 26$. A bottle of local beer - 4.5$.
Europe is cheaper. And the wine is better....
7. The pools look nice. But if you step in you'll see that the reservoir is covered inside not with nice little ceramic tiles as in normal pools but with a plastic cloth like an easy-set for your backyard...
8. The cleaning service is OK if you leave tips. To change bed-clothes a special request is needed. The front desk service is average. If you problem is not so easy to be solved you will hear the answer :"Yes, you are absolutely right. But we can do nothing about it...." !
Look at my photos - can a 4* hotel dare to look like this ? Solid 3*.
I wouldn't say that our vacation was bad. It was OK. ALMOST good. Could be better if we didn't expect this resort to be a 4*. And it could be better if we have chosen a real 4* or 5* resort. They exist there. The price is the same.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, BookingOdigeoWL and Hotels.com so you can book your CLUB CALIMERA Habiba Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Calimera Habiba Beach Hotel Marsa Alam
- Calimera Habiba Beach Marsa Alam
- Calimera Habiba Beach Hotel