“oriental bay marsa alam - fabulous service” 4 of 5 stars

Oriental Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   15 Km North | Red Sea, Marsa Alam, Egypt   |
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“oriental bay marsa alam - fabulous service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just spent a week at the oriental bay, had a fabulous holiday. Luggage taken straight to our apartment which consisted of bedroom, bathroom lounge with kitchen area and balcony. Everything was spotless, large super king size bed made up with beautiful white egyptian cotton sheets and lovely white fluffy towels in the bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities in the kitchen area. Plenty of space to hang clothes and lots of mirrors plus digital safe free of charge inside wardrobe. Our rooms were cleaned each day and bedding and towels changed every day - first class service.
Our apartment was in block 11 very quiet and 100 metres from main building with a pool and garden view which was lovely. The gardens are very well kept, lot of palm trees and lawns and flowers. Pool area beautiful, 5 pools 1 heated lots of well padded sunbeds and umbrellas and pleasant music playing around the pools plus a pool bar. Lots of terraces with tables and chairs to sit at. When you arrive you are given a ticket for a pool towel, you can give the towel back each day and are given a ticket back and get a fresh dry towel the next day.
The food was plentiful and lots of salads, and starters, main course and desserts to choose from. There was something for everyone. The waiters brought us drinks, wine was available on all inclusive but only in the restaurant not the piano bar downstairs, although it was plentiful.
There was entertainment most evenings and a kids club sing and dance at 8.30pm. then a belly dancer or a fire act or african dancers all very good.
The private beach was located across the road and a security man takes you across although there is very little traffic, but a nice touch. The walkway to the beach is paved and well lit and the beach has lots of sun beds, umbrellas and windbreaks. There are toilets and a bar and cafe area plus the towel man for fresh beach towels and a play area. The cafe have pizza and salad etc for lunch all very nice. No one trying to sell you anything which is a great bonus.The sea is very blue and warm and a lot of people go there for diving.
The only down side was the location as there wasnt really anywhere to walk to but it was a very relaxing week where the service in the hotel was first class nothing was too much trouble the staff were all friendly especially the waiter and bar staff and entertainment team. We were invited to dine outside on our last night where we were served a four course meal which was lovely. Would love to go again.

Room Tip: pool view beautiful gardens to look at
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Walid S, General Manager at Oriental Bay, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your stay at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.

We look forward to welcoming your good selves once again soon.

Walid Sakr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Katowice, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

In regard to scores I have given:
- service was very poor, especially bartenders were rude and numerous times we were given something we did not order, level of English of staff was really poor, when I had a problem and I called reception they told me I am supposed to come as they do not understand me, it was actually often the case, that staff behaved like they understood but in fact had no idea what was just said. When we infromed staff we are not given shower gel since 3 days, on the next day we were given 1 shower gel and 6 shampoos.... obviously they were not provided anymore after that either
- value depends on the money you paid, if it was 450EUR/week with all inclusive I think it was fair or even pretty good deal
- beds are quite comfortable and surroundings are quite, only issue is very loud AC (we turned it off for night due to noise)
- level of cleanliness is typical for Egypt, i.e. poor, bathroom would be considered as dirty in Europe, stuff like cleaning mirror in bathroom, windows, floors or changing, curtains did not happen through whole week. It was dirty when we arrived and stayed like that when we left
- location is quite and hotel is surrounded by simply nothing, it is 15km to the town and the beach is on the other side of the road, which is a good place for running, especially at sunset views are really cool and the road is wide and rather safe in my opinion
- rooms are spacious but they are somewhat shared, two rooms share living room and kitchen like space, bathroom was in urgent need of refurbishment
- spa is on the last floor offers small gym with basic fitness equipment and nice view, and some spatreatments, I went for manicure to test whether it is worth to try more but the quality was poor, i do not recommend
- breakfest was a joke, it was till 10 but at 9:30 they stopped adding new food so when unlucky at 9:45 one had nothing to eat, unprepared and ocassionally dirty tables were minor prolbems but the biggest problem was egg station, the guy at 9:45 was simply refusing to do any scramble eggs or omelettes, once we asked for omelettes with tomatos and cheese and we got ones with nothing and were told it is exactly what we asked for, another time my friend asked for omelette without onion as he has alergy.... he got one with cheese and onion and was said that there is for sure no simply piece of onion..... ridiculous

Dear Guest

We apologize for any discomfort occurred during your stay.
We recommend you to report any discomfort to the hotel management, in order to give us the chance to enhance our services in a way that meets your kind satisfaction.

Although you did not report any discomfort during your stay, but we assure you that we will consider your feedback with all mentioned details.

Rooms are allocated as per booking details.

We are sad to read your room tip which is against all ethics.
Please remove your room tip and do not encourage people to bribe.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Last minute holiday.
Wasn't disappointed in any way the place the staff just fantastic
Thanks to Achmed your excellent at your job in the restaurant nothing to much trouble we had many laughs with you and missed you when you went home we didn't say a big thank you so im doing that. Also Hamdy Emad Bassam Mohammed,Ashraf you all work so hard and very happy at work. Carry on the excellent service anyone from the uk will appreciate it.The whole hotel is wonderful friendly great service would recommend to anyone. they need more British to go they just love us. So all I can say is we will be back., so first choice Thomson please carry on going to this hotel.

Room Tip: Block 1 was fine. Nearest the beach road but not a problem to us.Could see the bay. We were happy wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Walid S, General Manager at Oriental Bay, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time. The hotel team go out of their way to be friendly, relaxed and helpful and unlike the forced positivity of many service cultures this feels very genuine. In all other respects it's a great place to stay, nothing disappoints and the reef is very beautiful. I've never written a review for a hotel before and so I suppose the fact that the experience has motivated me to post some words is the best way of demonstrating how impressed I was with the quality of the staff and the atmosphere they created.

Room Tip: Ground floor by the middle of the pool worked for us, away from both the main hotel and the road and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Walid S, General Manager at Oriental Bay, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of the hotel team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.

“Thank you for sharing your experience with others"

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have just returned from a week in Marsa Alam staying at the Oriental Bay and it was amazing (I miss it already). We were greeted with a welcome cocktail which was lovely and which we requested again most days from Mohamed Ramada at the Piano Bar, the best cocktail of the holiday! Simpatico and the others on reception were very welcoming and helpful. The hotel room was huge and kept very clean throughout the stay, as was the whole hotel. All the waiters were great and very friendly especially Tarek who walked us across to the beach on the first evening for the beach party. The beach is a very short walk and there was always someone to help you cross the road (despite there being very little traffic). The beach was great and is where we spent most of our time; fresh pizza and grilled fish at the beach bar everyday. The sea was clean and warm and there were little stripey fish in the shallow water. The beach was sandy with very little shingle or stone which was lovely. The entertainment team (Tito and Ramses) were great - very friendly and chatted to us on the beach and were always trying to get us to play football or volleyball (although we were far too lazy to do either!!). The pools were nice too although we were only brave enough to go in the heated pool as the others were too cold! The food in the hotel was good and there were crepes cooked at 5pm outside everyday before dinner and we were treated to a complimentary a la carte meal by the pool on one of our last evenings which was a lovely touch. All in all, a fantastic holiday :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Walid S, General Manager at Oriental Bay, responded to this review, March 31, 2013

“Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.”

Milton Keynes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from our third visit to the Oriental Bay in Marsa Alam. It seemed like coming home. Many staff were waiting to greet us, so lovely seeing old friends.
We come to this hotel because we never feel like guests, more like much loved and respected members of a very large family!
I had requested certain room numbers via e mail and of course we had been allocated them. Rooms (apartments really, I think they were built as timeshare originally) were very clean, as usual.
Down to the pool in the morning – Ayman who was on the beach last year was waiting for us in the Pool Bar. Looked so pleased to see us – again greeting another old friend. And then comes Tag, the boy who organises our sunbeds and towels. He'd known we were coming and had put towels out on the sunbeds we used last time. He remembered.
In the restaurant Hamdy the restaurant manager was rushing to say hello – so lovely to feel that they are really pleased to see us again. I asked him if I could take some milk back to the room so I could make a cup of tea. No problem he said and when I got back there was a carton of milk and a load more tea bags there. Because I need a walking stick the buffet menu could be a bit of a problem, but Hamdy is always on hand to take my plate, fetch me soup etc. He is still a bit puzzled that I don't like desserts, and prefer to have another soup instead, but he is far to polite to say anything!
Must mention Ahmed from the restaurant. My friend Pauline had arranged a meal at the Al a Carte Fish restaurant for my birthday and Ahmed was the only one waiting on us that night. He had two flight of stairs to negotiate with our wine and the food, but was still so cheerful and attentive. Then Hamdy brought a birthday cake in which was a lovely touch.
In the Piano bar we also got special treatment – other Ahmed watching out for us and drinks on the way as we sat down. He tried to make me tomato juice at one point – he got a plateful of tomatoes and blitzed them up. Result not too good, very watery, but how wonderful to make such an effort. He also looked after us at the beach, brought us pizza and grilled fish which was divine. Also in the Piano bar was Mohamed who Pauline says makes the best cocktails ever. I agree but feel I must be loyal to Ahmed!
Oh nearly forgot to mention Tarek cut his vacation short because his 'two sisters' were coming to stay! He and Mahmoud are the managers of the beach and pool bars and nothing is too much trouble for them to arrange. They love the British.
All of us Brits were invited to a free meal from the Lebanese a la carte restaurant by the manager on the Monday night. Wonderful food, really tasty, far too much though.
Pauline and I are thinking about going back in October / November this year, and we know we will get a fantastic reception at our 'second home'.

Room Tip: Block one can be a bit noisy as its on the walkway to the beach. Top floors are quieter (no clip clo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Walid S, General Manager at Oriental Bay, responded to this review, March 26, 2013

“Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon by next October.”

camberley, england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Oriental Bay in Marsa Alam for 1 week at the end of Feb. Room was massive and cleaned thouroughly every day. Beach an easy walk across the road. They always had someone there to see you across. Beach bar brilliant with fresh pizza cooked every day.
The staff at the hotel were amazing. Ahmed and Denzil were the best barman you could ever meet. All the staff in the restaurant were brilliant and could not do enough for you. Food was good and drinks were fantastic. Note...you could not get wine outside of the restaurant! Animation team were very friendly and fun. All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Walid S, General Manager at Oriental Bay, responded to this review, March 20, 2013

Walid Sakr

Been to Oriental Bay? Share your experiences!