Just returned from a week's break with my wife and 14 year old daughter. Similar experiences as other guests i.e. food ok but not amazing and we didn't have any dodgy stomachs! The staff were all very helpful especially Sam in the main bar area and the other waiters in the pool bar area and the 'Plateau' where we had lunch most days.
Every day was around 30 dgs C and only one day could have been remotely described a cloudy!
The pool complex itself is really good and very clean throughout our stay. The beach is very nice but we were slightly disappointed with the snorkelling as to get the best snorkelling you need to go off the jetty which goes out some hundred yards or so. That isn't a problem in itself but most days it was too windy and they - quite rightly - stopped guests from going off the end because the sea got a bit too rough.
We had room 3033 which was about midway between the beach and the main hotel building. All very clean except for black mould which was trapped between the lower edge of the shower screen and it's fixing on the bath edge. Otherwise though everything else was just great with daily new towels and bed linen etc. And because the hotel was less than half full, there were loads of sun beds and umbrellas to choose from every day and all day.
Two things were particularly disappointing though.
1. The wine measures in the main restaurant were a joke and I see that other guests have said the same in the forum. Filling wine glasses up barely half way was a con and through Ishmail the Thompson rep, we found out that it is all about cutting costs because of the hugely reduced guest numbers, due to the ongoing political climate. The operations manager told Ishmail that they only filled the glass half way because otherwise the drink wouldn't stay cold long enough during the meal!!! What a load of rubbish and shame on you Mr Operations Manager for treating us like idiots! The red wine was also served in half measures and that doen't start off cold so what was he on about!? All other cold drinks served in glasses were up to the brim so how come they weren't served up short to keep them cool?!
It wouldn't have been so bad if the waiters regularly came up to you to get you a refill but they didn't - probably because (according to the Operations Manager) a number of waiters were 'on holiday' and so they were short of staff. Er, no, the staff numbers had been reduced because of the fewer guests and so they weren't able to come around and top up glasses. Or maybe they had been told not to do so to save costs?
Whatever, it meant that we had to go and get our own drinks from the table 'bar' where we were served by a member of staff so even then we were still only given half a glass - you would have thought they made enough from us without resorting to such underhand measures.
The second issue we got annoyed about was the check-out arrangements. Our flight with Thompson wasn't until 2225 so a 12 oclock check out was ridiculous. We were of course offered a 'deal' to keep our room until 2000 which of course meant giving the hotel yet more money - Egyptian stealth tax maybe?! Our holiday was purchased on an 'all inclusive' basis so Thompson should get their act together and ensure that the term 'all inclusive' means just that, right up until the point you leave, especially when flights are so late departing. Why can't big holiday companies sort these things out for customers and just include the extra time in room in the overall bill?
Anyway, those points apart, the holiday was overall really good and we would go back if we didn't want to try other hotels and resorts in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 396 Spacious, comfortable guest rooms, fitted with modern amenities• Standard single room: 46 sqm• Twin room: 46 sqm• Family room: 52 sqm• Individually controlled air conditioning• 32 inch LCD flat screen TV• Satellite television• Hairdryer• Iron and ironing board upon request• Safety deposit box• Mini bar• Tea & Coffee making facilities• Sound system and telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, TripOnline SA and Despegar.com so you can book your Resta Grand Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Resta Grand Hotel Marsa Alam
- Resta Grand Resort All Inclusive