“A few acceptable flaws, but great value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Resta Grand Resort

You added Resta Grand Resort to your Saves list
Resta Grand Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   KM 65 Quoseir-Marsa Alam Road | Red Sea - Egypt, Marsa Alam 1111, Egypt   |
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Lynsted, United Kingdom
“A few acceptable flaws, but great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just back from a week at the Resta Grand for my third North African holiday. The Arab world seems to universally suffer the same flaws, regardless of which nation you choose. The disparity of wealth is apparent and the culture is not ideal for female holidaymakers without an open mind. The propensity of the people to moneygrab or tout for money is a very off-putting aspect of holidaying here and I would part with my money more readily if they refrained from this approach. The hotel was advertised as having free internet in the lobby, but this was virtually like a very slow dial up connection, yet part with 30 Egyptian pounds for 30 minutes and 'Hey Presto' normal service is resumed. On a trip to a small town called El Quseir in the 'Real Egypt' we were treated to a 2 hour onslaught of badgering from local shop owners, who with a smoother more patient approach would have had no trouble in parting me from a decent portion of my spending money. Foolishly they managed to lie sufficiently and harass me enough to curtail my shopping earlier than I had wanted. Even the refuge of a mint tea in a cafe was to the local owner, a selling mission, albeit unsuccessful.

The hotel has immaculate grounds, a clean beach and some lovely hard working staff. The rooms are large and comfortable with large firm beds. It lacks the polish of a true 5 star but as a genuine 4 star All-inclusive experience it was hard to beat. The dining times and quality were generous. The variety of international and local food was balanced and delicious but not always piping hot. 'The Space' Restaurant has the ambiance of a sophisticated canteen and to get good service a couple of small tips are recommended. Let's face it, these people work long hours for meagre rewards so consider it as a way of redressing the global balance rather than an inconvenience. My tipping pot for the entire week was only about £7 but was appreciated and delivered devoted service from the better staff.

The swimming pools were large and well maintained, the pool bar was very welcome and service patchy but adequate. The daytime entertainment team did a great job although my partner and I didn't get involved, but what we saw was excellent. The evening entertainment was poor overall but the belly dancer and regular female singer were pretty good.

Snorkelling off the jetty was a fantastic experience. I have never seen so many colourful fish.

There is much more I could describe but I would fail to convey how much I enjoyed the space and relaxed comfort of this hotel which is located where the lettered Eastern Desert falls into the Red Sea. The under-occupancy of the place and the relatively cool temperatures (24c) made this a worthwhile holiday and would happily repeat it. I would not fancy it in the heat of summer swarming with obnoxious Russians, Germans and persistent flies.

We paid £417 each for this All Inclusive holiday which was great value overall. If you can do better at another hotel you will have done well!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

everything about this hotel is great especially the staff,Amr medhat could not do enough for us his at ease with managering the staff really shone through another hardworking chap was Abdo our drinks were with us beforre we even sat down another great guy to chat to, sammy in resturant was very attentive as you walked in drinks order asked a down side was if we sat i n the middle or far end we rarely got a drink!our room 1411 had great views of the garden and partial sea, the cleaner lad was one of the best we have ever had,We toldAmr we were a bit concerned about peole going in for evening meal in shorts and sometimes swimwear also only 12 places for non smokers tucked away ,even this people still smoked,we need comfort as well,he hopefully will follow this up as he promised,We are looking forward to returning again soon

Room Tip: high floors are better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We spent 2 fantastic weeks here as a family and could not have asked for better!
We arrived to be greeted with a cocktail and a totally fuss free check in and were then driven by a golf buggy to our room, 5 mins later and our cases were with us.
Our family room was large and spacious, plenty of storage for all our clothes, 2 large single beds and an enormous double! When we asked for a cot the next morning it was in our room within 10 mins of our request.
All the staff at the resort were lovely, always happy to help and always with a smile on their faces. Samy in the "Space" restaurant was adorable, I don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his face, my son celebrated his 13th birthday while we were there and Samy did everything he could to make it a memorable day for him.
Sam in the Marsa Alam bar was another example of the wonderful staff, he always had our drinks ready for us and would always take time to have a chat to my other son Ziggy who is only 2, he would take his hand and walk him around chatting to other guests!
The animation team deserve a special mention too, Manuel, Francesco, Fay and especially Maria & Sophia who Ziggy fell in love with, they always took time out to play and talk to Ziggy everyday (he has a photo of them by his bed even now!). The shows done by the animation team are also worth checking out, we saw people walking out halfway through muttering that it wasn't very good but considering these guys do everything themselves (choreography,costumes etc) then I applaud them!
The other entertainment was from Hayley C, a gorgeous lady from SA, she would sing a good mix of songs and would always come and chat, sometimes she would have her adorable daughter with her too (Ziggy fell in love with her also!) I hope she is still there when we return next year!
The food at the resort is amazing, if you couldn't find anything to eat there then there is something wrong with you! I cannot praise the food highly enough, always a BBQ outside, fresh salads and bread and the most amazing little cakes.
All in all an amazing holiday, I would recommend it to everyone!
My one and only tiny little criticism is that there are no toilets at the pool area, this wasn't a problem for us as our room was quite close to the pool bit seems a bit silly when the rest of the place is perfect!

• Stayed January 2013
sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were staying at this wonderful hotel resort between 16-31 of January 2013. It was a very nice stay, we had a wonderful room (which we paid extra for ca 200 USD) just above the beach with a 180 degree view of the Red Sea from the big balcony. Our room was very spacious and a wonderful bathroom with always hot water, changing of bedsheets and towels every day.. The whole resort was spotless clean all over - one could actually eat off the floor wherever you were. The swimmingpools were great - especially the heated (30 C). The staff was so pleasant and helpful and without reaching out hands for tips which we gladly gave to the ones who gave us good service and they were very happy for even small tips (about 3 euro usually, cleaning personal for the room got more). The food was very well cooked, buffetstyle - we were not sick for one moment and there was always something that suited us. I happen to like chicken and during the two weeks we were there they managed to serve it differently each time every day, sometimes barbequed out on the terrace. Fantastic breads and sweets for desserts. The beach was also extremely clean and you find the best coffee at the beach bar - in the restaurant and club it was not so good. The only minus was the Space restaurant which was too big and noisy, it was like Grand Central station, we ate most of our meals out on the terrace - it would have been nice to have smaller areas to dine at. They have an à la carte restaurant that costs extra, however, we saw no need for it as the food was so good at the buffet. The wine that was in the all-inclusive concept was tolerable but sometimes tiring to only get half a glass each time instead of a caraff. The cocktails were without alcohol and was mostly like kidstuff - but good. To stay in this fine resort you either have to be a snorkeler/diver as there is nothing else to do but relax. Bring a stack of books and your spouse or good friend and relax - that is the only enjoyment you will have. The hotel arranges some activities by the pool. The only thing that was not so pleasant was when we checked out we were presented with a bill for massage and sauna we had first day and paid for in cash and we got a receipt when we booked and I thought it was also a receipt that we had paid - in cash 70 euros- So beware - save ALL receipts of any kind when you pay cash. It was very disturbing, specially as they had personal that "combed" the beach every day several times to get clients for massage and various treatments and wich was carried out at the sister hotel Resta Reef.
It was very nice that they had a jetty out over the reef so that you could enter the water from a very good staircase and there is a rope to hold on to whilst in the water. There are like small laguns where you can bathe if you do not want to get out in deep water which is excellent for small children and a little bit elderly. We had good weather the first week but then when the moon turned full we got rain and very windy weather - I have experienced that it is almost windy weather around fullmoon - does not matter that you are in Egypt! Temp was about 25 every day and a little bit cooler at night but one could eat out on the terrass and have a jacket on. We enjoyed our stay very much. The only thing is that you are really confined to the resort if you are not interested in the numerous divingtours. We went to Port Ghalib 5 minuts away by taxi - very nicely built but without people - the only living souls were the people in the bazaars. It was like a movieset without people... We can recommend the submarine/glasbottomboat, we saw huge turtles, seacows and fantastic corals and fishes. Recommend that you order the trips through the agents at the taxioffice inside the hotel, it costs so much less than what the touroperators charge, i.e. we paid 40 euros each for the submarine and one of the touroperators charged 75 each for same same boat and excursion! Despite the horrors and uproar in Cairo we were never afraid, with all the security (sometimes too much) it was probably the safest place in Egypt to be at! And it is about 900 kilometres away...
We would very much like to come back - also the small airport made it easy to get through with passports and the transfer to the hotel is only 10 minutes.

Room Tip: If you want a room just over the beachwith a magnificent seaview the rooms 3011-14 on second floor o...
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

For those of you who do not read all of the reviews, just let me say, if your thinking about going here .. GO .. do not change your mind, this really is a hotel to enjoy your holiday at. For those of you who read all .. here we go.
The first thing to mention is just how nice and pleasant all the staff are. You'll sense that as soon as you walk into the Lobby which is where we were welcomed by Amr and provided with a welcome drink. Their helpfulness is second to none. Not only were our bags looked after from the coach on arrival, we were transported to our room and our bags followed shortly after by Wael who then explained our new home to us including the free safe, yes free, that's a first for me. The room was beautifully large and spotlessly clean.
The All Inclusive restaurant named "Space" was spotlessly clean and we enjoyed all the varied food provided, slightly different from European holiday food, but stories I'd heard about tummy upsets were unfounded, we did not hear of any problems like that. A previous reviewer said they were not served drinks at their table??? We NEVER had to go and collect our wine, tea, coffe, they were always served to us. If you go, sit in the restaurant and watch all the waiters at every meal, you'll notice how happy they are BUT there is one who never stops smiling, when you finally work out which one he is, check his name, you'll see it's Samy. I’ve never seen anyone smile so much as him.
Here I should mention 99% of staff in all locations are male.
The bars.. Just by the Lobby is the "Marsa Club Bar" I did see an occasional guest get a drink there but, (as with the other two bars) you were waited on. Here Abdo, Sam and Mahmoud happily served you just where you sat, indoors or outdoors. It was a very relaxing way to drink with NO Queuing.
Here I should mention the unrivalled ambience. In the Lobby, beautiful background music is played.
The pool bar is a swim up bar and waiter service around the sun loungers. The pool looks enormous but is, in fact, three pools, one being slightly heated. Again the music was background, so I guess, if you like music pounding out, it might not be to your liking. To me it was truly relaxing.
The private beach bar also has waiter service, so relax on your inclusive free beach lounger and be waited on. Towels for the beach and pool are free and cleaned daily. The beautiful sandy beach runs into an area of coral and it is 30/40 mtrs in length before the deeper sea, we found our sand shoes a must. Whilst in the coral area you can be knee deep one step then waist deep the next so be very careful. Even there, you will see beautifully coloured fish. This coral can be bypassed by walking along the private Jetty and then stepping into deeper water.
You will read previous reviews which mention people disturbing you whilst relaxing by the pool or on the beach, trying to sell you things. This was a concern for us before travelling but now let me tell you the truth. Only Staff connected to this Resort can do this, it is a totally private Resort. Yes, we were spoken to on four occasions, NOT pushy but just explaining what you could get on the Resort. Thank goodness they did do that as, being all inclusive, we might not have considered paying for food in their other Restaurants.
The first A la Carte meal we had was in the “Marsa Restaurant” Mohamed manages this restaurant and, believe me, he will give you a deal worth having, ie four courses and only pay for the main course, then 20% off, then free drinks. Need I say any more? Oh yes, the food was so good we had to go back again.
The second Restaurant is the “Zeit Zatoon” This one is managed by Walid. Again you will get a deal worth having with the same high standard of food.
There is also the “Plateau” Restaurant which is beautifully positioned overlooking the beach and sea. Unfortunately this one is closed during the winter months as it is an open air Restaurant.
My wife accepted (no pressure) two different types of treatments from the other two members of the resort to talk to us. She ended up being totally pampered for a lot less money than prices back home, so a thank you to Dolly and Nora and a special thanks to Ahmed 20 and all his crew. Not to be confused with Ahmed at the Marsa’s Bar
A simply excellent holiday down to ALL the staff being so exceptionally good and I’m sorry not to remember all their names, but two more who need a mention and a big thank you to Natalia who checked to make sure our stay was as we wanted and Hamdy who looked after us in The Space. Finally, a last thank you to Waleed, who with Wael and Amr helped finish our holiday making us feel like celebrities. Thank you all so much.

Room Tip: Rooms in blocks 41 and higher get more sun on patio or balcony
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

good food, good service, sammy in the bar is brilliant as is the rest of the lads. rooms are spacious, clean and comfy, bed was a little hard but i have a very bad back and it did not cause me any problems.if you are looking for a place to chill out after the madness of christmas, this is it.the staff go completly overboard to make your holiday as good as they can, one thing could have been better, we had a black flag all week so we could not go snorkeling, but this obviously had nothing to do with the hotel. looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: i chose a sea view, these rooms are furthest away from the main reception, bar and resteraunts so ar...
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Other reviews say it all - Excellent hotel - very comfortable rooms. This was a return visit for us and the hotel staff acknowledge this by little extras in your room like dressing gown and slippers, large bowl of fruit plus extra toiletry items. Staff in most areas exceptional especially around the pool. The staff kept coming round and re-filling your glasses without having to be asked! We found the wine waiters in the Space restaurant not so attentive and most nights it was a case of fetch the drinks yourself if you wanted an alcoholic drink. Soft drinks were all self service and the juice was very nice. Thomson Rep Sarah was very helpful and friendly. Snorkeling of jetty is excellent and was very lucky in that during the second week it was open every day. Would definitely return again - possibly next January.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Resta Grand Resort? Share your experiences!