We arrived at 9.30 in the morning. Appreciated the welcome drink at reception served by a very nice barman.
Then that's were the 'cons' start;
We were told check in being at 14.00 that they do have rooms ready but would really appreciate tips in exchange to give it to us. We paid. Were lead to our room which was a twin whereas we had requested a double bed with one mattress. We told our porter that we want to return to reception to change room. He refused, said no problem I'll push your beds together, which he did promptly. We were not satisfied as there was an obvious gap in between, and I thought it would help to call reception from the room to ask for a room change. They told me that was not possible, but they would send someone over to push the two beds together... We gave up at that point, a bit bitter. We were told later that normally they provide you with a bottle of water a day in the room, but we didn't get it on our arrival day. We again went to reception to claim it and it was sent in 5 minutes to our room... But we already had the feelings we were less than welcome at the reception.
We also asked to be changed room to one on the first floor because we like to sleep with open window and didn't feel completely safe being on the ground floor. Actually one night we left cigarettes and lighter on the table of our 'balcony' and it was gone in the morning. We were said they would try to find an available room for us and call back, which never happened...
As for the restaurant, the food was ok, and we enjoyed the fresh salads. However, here as well the service was disappointing.
We were all inclusive so we went to the same restaurant for breakfast, lunch, dinner... Our waiter was nice the first 2 days, asking us what we'd like to drink and clearing our table from empty plates. Then on the 3rd day, he seemed very busy, so my boyfriend went to the bar of the restaurant to get our drinks. Our waiter saw him, made an angry comment, and ever since that moment ignored us for the rest of our stay!!! And no other waiter ever came either! This plus the fact that the animation team was speaking only Italian, only inviting Italians to join the parties or animation (they talked to us once and when they found out we don't speak Italian they looked very disappointed, finished their brief as fast as they could looking around with hurried looks, and never talked to us again) we felt a tad "ignored" there!
We also got to meet the owner very briefly (he also seemed very disappointed when he saw we are not Italians) who, instead of asking if we enjoyed our stay, talked during 5 minutes about how wonderful his hotel is, 90% occupancy (still wonder then why they could not change our room) then left without looking back!)
Last bad thing: when we visited the sauna, we were told the use of the indoor pool is free... until someone corrected the information saying it is, but only for Italians!!
And now the "pros"
I should say the facilities and amenities are great, beautiful, calm, the hotel is very well taken care of, the Housekeepers are more service-oriented than receptionists, and they do great job, the rooms are nice and comfortable, the bed was extremely comfy (despite having a gap in the middle), and some people were marvelous: Mahmoud Ali (the waiter at the swimming pool), the lobby bar waiters were very nice as well, (especially Shaban and the short man with a little mustache) we loved the cold swimming pool, and enjoyed snorkeling a lot! We swam with inoffensive purple gelly fish, saw a turtle, and beautiful fish..
There was always a nice spot waiting for us with two sunbeds, either at the swimming pool or at the beach, it was never overcrowded, we always had privacy, and we overall spent most of our time reading, swimming, drinking Cuba Libre with no ice cube, and relaxing.
I think we will return though, but we will triple check prior to our stay which room we can get.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fantazia Resort Marsa Alam features 700 yards of private beach area and is 15 miles from Marsa Alam City. It has 3 swimming pools, 6 restaurants and bars and a diving school. All rooms and suites at Fantazia have a furnished balcony with sea view. Each room has a small sitting area with a flat-screen TV and a minibar. The bathroom includes a hairdryer and a shower. A breakfast and lunch buffet is served daily at Fantazia Restaurant, while an Italian dinner is served at Valentina Restaurant. Cocktails are available at Lobby Bar and Lagoon Beach Bar. Room service is available 24 hours. Fantazia Resort offers facilities for tennis, volleyball, gym and more. A wide range of tours is available, including horseback riding, diving and camel-back desert safaris by night. The Fantazia Resort is 5 miles from Marsa Alam Airport. Wi-Fi is available for a daily fee and free on-site parking is available. Ironing and laundry can be arranged by the 24-hour front desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Fantazia Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fantazia Hotel Marsa Alam
- Fantazia Resort Marsa Alam