“Lovely Hotel but.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 64 hotels in Marsa Alam
macclesfield
“Lovely Hotel but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from an excellent relaxing time in Port Ghalib. The staff at the Intercontinental are most welcoming and helpful but not intrusive. The front desk and beach staff were particularly helpful and made us feel special. The pool and grounds are immaculate and the rooms are to a good standard - comfortable and spacious. There is an excellent house reef accessed via a jetty which is so much better than the reefs in the northern resorts of the Red Sea. The only downside was the food which I think has been mentioned in one or two other reveues. We stayed fortunately B&B. We ate once in the buffet and once a la carte. Both were very disappointing for a 5* Hotel. We ate at other times at Di Vinos an Italian restaurant in the Marina next to TGI Fridays - excellent food at reasonable prices. This is not a negative review - we would stay here again but the senior management need to increase the spend on quality food.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Marc R, General Manager at InterContinental The Palace Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
We were under the impression we had resolved most of the issues you mention to your satisfaction at the time it was brought to our attention. I am sorry if this is not the case.
You will be happy to know that, as a result of guest feedback like yours, we upgrade our buffet and add new items to our a la carte menu.
We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us get better

651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
UK Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

So if like me you are a little skeptical of '1 review' reviewers, here you go, my 50th!

The hotel in itself is beautiful. A magnificent marble building with excellent grounds and public areas. You will not be disappointed on your arrival! Another big plus is the 10 minute transfer time from the airport.

The whole area of Port Ghalib is spotlessly clean, there are more cleaners and security than there are tourists (in February at least). The hotel is also immaculately clean.

I had booked a late deal with Thomson holidays and for the equivalent of a nights stay in England you could never stay 5* for £60 per night.

The bedrooms are spacious and comfortable. I have not slept so well anywhere for a long time. The bedding is excellent. For UK visitors there are 4 English Movie channels, 3 sports, BBC world News, Discovery, VH1 and E! and a channel similar to Sky 1. They also have a UK size plug so an adapter is not required. My room also had a balcony overlooking the back of the building with a view of the port itself. It also had a bath with separate shower room.

On to the location. It is quiet, very quiet! Do not come if you are looking for bustling nightlife or the chance to explore local areas. There is quite literally a port, with TGI Fridays, Costa Coffee, a cafe and a bar. In the port there are the usual Egyptian shops, though they are a lot less aggressive with their sales technique than in Sharm or other places like Turkey. I have not marked the location down as I was quite aware of the area before I booked.

The food is OK, not outstanding. But you must realise they are preparing a buffet 7 days a week for many different nationalities and I guess they try to cover most of the bases. As another reviewer mentioned I think they could invest in some electric Bain maries as opposed to the gas heated ones as on a few occasions the food was luke warm as opposed to hot. The breakfast is very good and has plenty of choices. If you did not take half board, your other eating choices would be limited. I did take a wander over to the neighboring Crown Plaza, which without being rude was a little zoo like! Absolutely packed, little seating and people everywhere. Dining at the Intercon is a much more relaxed experience.

Now the service. Though unobtrusive, it is verging on being inattentive. I spent most of my days in and around the pool. At a 5* level I would expect to be offered a drink more than once a day. Also when seated in the restaurant often I had to wait for the lowest level waiter to order my drink as the others seemed to be busy doing other things. Although it is a buffet restaurant I feel they are maybe understaffed to offer the level of service I would expect from a 5* venue. There were several 'Supervisors' but I am afraid they seemed a little ineffective. One or two people doing all the rushing about while others watched on.

I also got the feeling that as I was a single male traveler I was a little overlooked. The people that were apparently in charge were very keen to chat to older/family groups, but they rarely came past my table and made any effort to interact.

One of my more negative points is the service charge. I am more than happy to pay a service charge but I feel it is almost misleading to then leave a gratuity line on the bill when you have already included it. People who do not read the bill carefully may be double tipping. By all means charge it, but remove the gratuity line, or take your chance that people will tip more than the 12.5% you add.

The bar again is beautiful, an outstanding viewpoint to look out over the salt lagoon, it also has free Wifi. It is dimly lit at night and is an excellent spot to retire to after dinner for coffee and after dinner drinks.

The beach and pool areas are outstanding. I can not think of anywhere I have stayed where this area has been better. They have a huge salt water lagoon, a heated pool and a private beach with its own jetty for snorkeling. If you go to the beach they also provide a cooler with bottled water for no charge, a nice touch.

All in all a lovely week away, 23+ degrees everyday, a lovely room with great surroundings. Maybe the odd service issue but I would definitely return.

Maybe I will look at September once I am home !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and the comments about our service.
We value your feedback seriously, and sincerely I regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Regarding the speed of service and offering drinks more than once at the pool, we welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us get better.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon and please allow us to offer you a unique memorable experience this time.
West Sussex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week and was blown away.
The hotel is immaculate, well kept and best for us "quiet".
Nina on guest relations was fantastic-nothing was too much trouble for her and she helped make some extra special moments for us during our stay here.
I would highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing stay.
Only feedback is the evening food available could be slightly better value in terms of cost per person for the relative quality-this is compared to European standards of course.

We are already looking for our next stay which says how great this place is!

• Stayed October 2012
Marc R, General Manager at InterContinental The Palace Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and your nice comments about our service and staff attitude and I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay.
We value your feedback which supports us.
You will be happy to know that, as a result of your comment, we will improve our evening dine, by adding new items to be matching and equivalent to our guest needs.
Such a great Feedback like yours encourages us to strive and exceed our guests expectations. We sincerely thank for your recommendation and hope your return in the very near future.
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We spend one week at the Intercontinental Marsa Alam ( myself and my 12 years old daughter) second week of February. Before booking I checked the references in the tripadvisor and actually all positive comments were more than confirmed.
Situation: at 10 min from the airport, but, absolutely no noice as airplanes come in from the other side; next to the beach, with a heated swimming pool which allows to swim the while year through; next to the marina, where there is a number of dive shops and a sort of a little modern village.
Ambiance: As we were looking for relaxation we did on purose exclude all - inclusive hotels and we did the right choice. The other clients of the hotel were apparently looking for the same and all generations (from babies to very senior) seemed to find what they were looking for without being "undertained". Next to the Intercontinental is the Crown Plaza belonging to the same chaine, but, having "entertainement" for those who really need it.
Rooms: are nicely decorated and clean, we swiched in the middle of our stay to a room with sea view what I'd definitely recommend; there is the possibility to cut the airconditionning so not to have the noice and not to freeze!
Meals: we booked half board, breakfast and dinner are buffet style, but, very varried and meeting all sorts of tasts. The days we were at the hotel at lunchtime we eat at the pool bar. Prices are acceptable and quality is good.
Activities: diving, snorkelling just in front of the hotel!, horse riding, excursions into the next larger village (Al Quseir), we went on a day trip to Luxor (very long but great day) and a number of others which we did not try.
Service: probably the strongest point of the hotel among all the good once; reception, cleaning and first of all the two guest relation managers Hassan and Nina who make the stay a real success, giving advice, arranging activities, excursions ans even a doctor if needed...

Room Tip: I really liked the sea view room, as we were just two this was great, if travelling as couple with a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort post your stay with us. We are pleased that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us and do hope to see you back in the near future.
I am pleased that we have been able to create favourable moments during your stay with us. appreciated your comments about our resort and the entire team joins me in thanking you for choosing us for your special stay.
We sincerely hope you return in the very near future.
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Yesterday we came back from a perfect holiday in the Palace intercontinental in Port Ghalib. This luxurious hotel gave us the perfect relaxed holiday we needed. The personnel was very friendly and helpful. It was nice and quiet, not crowded with people. Beatiful decorated hotel, nice architecture.
Each morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast on the terrace with a view over the pool and the sea. A great start of the day. Barakat, Ahmed, Raouf gave all the attention needed. I especially liked the fresh fruit and the small pancakes made by the cook Salâh.
The reef at the sea offered a variety of beautiful fish and coral. On the first day we saw a seaturtle. You could spend the day on the beach under a kind of umbrella , in long deckchairs with cushions. Towels are provided. Next to the hotel is the Crown Plaza, with a beautiful reef as well. No problem to go there. There are also possibilities to make daytrips to other reefs in the area, no need to be bored.
Our room was spacious, well equiped with a separate shower (nice and big) and bath. Comfortable beds, safe, minifridge, tv, fauteuil, balcony, in short, everything one could wish for...and should you miss something, the personnel is always willing to help you.
The fact that there is no all-inclusive is a big plus, because the big tourist crowds stay away and now you can choose whether to eat at the Olive restaurant (to be honest the buffet is nice, but not great) or to go to the Pool deck restaurant or to the Italian restaurant Di Vino in the Marina nearby (excellent Italian food, friendly people, good prices) or even to have a simple fastfood at the Pizzahut or the TGI friday restaurant. I think there will be more variety of restaurants in the future...There are also two restaurants at the side of the Crown Plaza, but we didn' t go there.
We want to thank Nina, Hatim, Ibrahim, Ahmed and all the others who gave us a special feeling that we were treated as VIP’s.
Bârak Allahu fîkum , shoekran jazîlan … un grand merci wa ila l-liqâ !!

Ed and Anja

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Marc R, General Manager at InterContinental The Palace Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review and wonderful remarks, it's an absolutely pleasure to have you in our resort and I’m glad to know that you liked our hotel facilities ; Food ; services and staff attitude, which I have shared with my team.
Such a great Feedback like yours encourages us to strive and exceed the guests expectations .
Highly appreciate your sincere recommendation and we are delighting to the pleasure to welcoming you back very soon at your second home.
Jonkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Me and my boyfriend was there for one week wich i regret that we didn't stay longer. I have traveled a lot but this was the first time in Egypt for me. And there is a lot of sand there so you have to stay at a nice hotel. The first impression was OMG. This is a Palace. They have people who helps you with anything you need from the reception, hotel manager, to restaurant chef, pool guy and so on. Imad can help you with your bags or drive you and he is close to the reception.Everyone was so kind and happy there. They have a spa and i did a massage. They have so high standard and you feel relax just by going inside the spa. Katarina gaved me massage and she was really good. The food was also over our expectations. For breakfast they had anything you can imagine. On the evening they also had buffé and again a lot of different tastes. From Seafood, chicken, ,meet, all vegtebals. You could even do your own pasta by picking out ingredients and a chef made it all. The service from the restaurant was over the top. They'd come for you and make sure everything was good, if you needed anything more. Especially two guys named 'Raouf and Ahmed'. They were so kind and they did everything for you to make you feel good and enjoy your meal.
There was no party in the night wich feelt good for us cause we wanted just to relax. But they had some shows in the night while you eat dinner outside. And if you feel cold they have warm lamps. Its close to the airport and close to market uf you want some shopping. But i assure you that the hotel has everything. They even have some shopping near the spa. Also a nice gym. So if you want to workout they have every machines for that. Its close to the beach you can see it from the pool. There you can scuba diving,snorkling or just swim. We did snorkling and it was so beautiful. If you need anything else you can ask Dalia. She's always there making sure the guest are okey. We are definitely coming back soon beacuse it was the best hotel i have been to and i have traveled a lot.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your OMG and detailed review. The entire team is pleased to note that you enjoyed your vacation with us. Your explanation about the food varieties which was also over your expectations(buffet of Seafood, chicken, ,meet, all vegtebals nice selection of bread and very happy that you loved and appreciate our service... your comments about beach and pool is very detailed and nice...
I have passed on your comments to the entire team and we all looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you, your family and friends back more often in the near future.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Perfect Hotel for stay,
spa experience perfect,
beach with coral reef wonderful,
private beach
staff professional
Second stay , march 2012 and january/february 2013
Intention to spent next winter again a fortnight a the hotel

Room Tip: almost all rooms are good situated
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you will be coming back again and look forward to welcoming you soon at your second home.
Best Regards,

Been to InterContinental The Palace Port Ghalib Resort? Share your experiences!