We arrived at the Golden Lion not entirely sure of what to expect. We had booked through the website and everything had looked really beautiful, but I have had previous bad experiences with booking online so it was lovely to arrive and not be disappointed one bit. Check in was immediate in the bar with one of the friendly bar staff who took us up to our room and showed us where everything was and what time breakfast was etc. They had made a great effort in providing an extra bed for our 18 month old son which was also a nice surprise. The rooms are beautifully decorated with great attention to detail and very clean - we really felt well looked after from the word go.
Following check in and settling into our room we made our way down to the cosy traditional bar which had a really great selection of beers including some local ones to try too. We had booked a meal in the restaurant when booking our room and where shown to our table by a very friendly waitress. The food was delicious! I had smoked sprats from the specials board followed by local lamb shank (Yum!) my husband had a meat antipasti which was served on a wooden board and was full of all sorts of delicious meats, olives and cheeses. The bread which came with our starters was a really nice locally baked seeded bread which made a refreshing change from the usual boring brown that you find in most places. He then followed the antipasti by a ribeye steak from the local butcher which was definitely one of the high points of his stay - it was perfectly cooked and came with a red onion jam and a local blue cheese crumbled on the top!! The children's meals that were available for our son were of good quality and with very generous portions (we stole half his chips!) and he was very happy. Even after all of that I still managed to squeeze in a rich sticky toffee and date pudding... very very satisfied customers. The staff in the bar and the restaurant could not do enough for us and where very happy to chat about places to go and things to see in the local area even though they where super busy. This is obviously a very popular place with locals and tourists alike. Which is always a good sign!
We all slept well and made our way down to breakfast which again did not disappoint on any level. Fresh fruit, a great selections of cereals, Organic yogurts (nice touch), a really wide selection of local and organic jams, marmalade and spreads and lots of different herbal teas, fresh coffee and breakfast tea made a real treat for breakfast. We then had delicious 'Welsh' full breakfasts which was really fresh and tasty! Definitely set us up for a hard days work of roaming the Pembrokeshire coastline and it's beautiful beaches and views - although in January bring your thermals and waterproofs!!
We will definitely be recommending the Golden Lion to friends and family and look forward to coming back again very soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Graded 4* by the Welsh Tourist Board. Located in one of the most attractive villages in North Pembrokeshire, The Golden Lion lies within the shelter of the Preseli Hills and only minutes, on foot, from Newport Bay with its estuary and wide sandy beach. The hotel offers accommodation to suit a variety of travellers including families, couples, singles or groups. All fourteen rooms within the main hotel are en-suite with colour televisions and hot and cold refreshments. The hotel boasts a very popular restaurant where residents take breakfast and dinner is served from 6pm till 9pm. A variety of bar snacks can be obtained from 12am onwards. The Golden Lion has a very well stocked bar which offers a good selection of beers, lagers and real ales and also has an extensive wine list. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Golden Lion Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Lion Country Hotel Newport -Trefdraeth
- Country Inn Newport
- Newport Country Inn
- Golden Lion Country Inn Wales/Pembrokeshire - Newport -Trefdraeth