“Poor attitude to customers” 1 of 5 stars

You added Castle Inn to your Saves list
Castle Inn
Bridge Street, Newport -Trefdraeth SA42 0TB, Wales   |
Kidderminster
“Poor attitude to customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Called in, booked a meal for the following night. When we arrived, they were annoyed we hadn't responded to their text\phone message to pre order the meal. We had poor reception so couldn't get any signal. We also brought a small dog which they said would be allowed in but then said it was not allowed in the restaurant. The staff became aggressive and were unhelpful in their attitude. We decided not to stay for the meal - The alternative we found "The Golden Lion" were helpful and accommodating providing one of the best meals out we've ever had.

Julie H, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
In regard to your review, which we have been expecting, can I just start by saying that I was "waitressing" on the evening and was certainly not rude to your party - I explained that we had been trying to phone you for that last day and half to get your order to ensure that you would not be disappointed if something had sold out, but I also said it was not a problem. The only issue was the fact that one of your party had a dog with her and when I explained dogs are not allowed in the restaurant but are welcome in the bar, I was very rudely challenged. The lady in the party said that the dog would just sit under the table but I explained that we could not allow this - when my bar staff then walked in from the bar having seen the dog and not realising I had spoken to the lady, she very politely explained again that dogs are not permitted in the restaurant, only to be rudely snapped back at saying that "we know and we are sorting it!". I offered that some or all of the party could eat in the bar area but the lady in your party told me there was no room. I then overheard the lady with the dog say to her party " shall we kick off and take it further til they give in" My other customers in the restaurant heard this and were very sympathetic to me. It was then that all of the party left without even a word to say you were leaving which again was very inconsiderate. I find it very sad that you would put 3 reviews on when you were in the restaurant less than 5 minutes and the only problem was that we could not accommodate the dog. You also failed to mention that The Golden Lion has the same policy as ourselves, whereby dogs are very welcome in the bar area but not the restaurant and the other establishments in Newport do not allow dogs at all in the building. We are however very glad that you enjoyed your meal at The Golden Lion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Poole, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Chose this pub to have a family meal while staying nearby, all 10 of us, wrinklys, aunties, grandchildren and all. Pre-booked the night before and were told the dog could come in and everything was fine. However when we arrived we were confronted with a waitress telling us without any tact or politeness that we needed to pre-order, something we weren't told and couldn't do over the phone, and that the dog could not come into the restaurant. Staff were rude and confrontational and we left without ordering, as we walked out we heard staff laughing at us. Go to the golden lion, gorgeous food, similar prices, lovely atmosphere and friendly staff, even when all 10 of us descended with no notice!

Room Tip: Didn't stay, just tried and failed to eat...
Julie H, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
please refer to review titled "poor attitude to customers"
Poole, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Booked a table for 10 hoping for a lovely evening. When we arrived though the staff were very confrontational and unhelpful meaning we left before we'd ordered. As we left a staff member was laughing at us. Would definitely not recommend in the slightest. Ate down the road instead at a pub called the golden lion, great service as well as great food.

Julie H, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
please refer to response to reviews above
Llanrhidian, Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just returned from another extended weekend break in this delightful part of the world and for the second time, we made use of the Castle to satisfy our hunger and thirst! Excellent food and fine ales, served by welcoming and friendly staff. Will most certainly be making a return visit.

Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My brother-in-law texted the title after checking in early to the pub / hotel. And so it proved. Brilliant value, excellent food and two huge rooms which each catered for four weary walkers. Great evening / night in the bar with a live band until late. Both evening meal and breakfast were very good. Owners were very welcoming. Far better value than other places in Newport. Hope to be back here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Staying in the area, we booked into this pub for Sunday lunch. There were 6 of us and we all had the carvery. It was very good food, averagely priced. The staff were ok, but could have been friendlier.

We looked at the usual menu and as it looked nice we went back the next day for lunch. Again we had a nice meal and the service was fine if not a little cool. Disappointed the children's menu is limited to the usual "n" chips (when will restaurants start serving children decent food?). But we left happy and enjoyed our food.

Having had an awful meal out elsewhere, we went back to the pub on the last day of our holiday. We did book, but no table was reserved for us. We found our own seats where the staff seemed to promptly forget us. The pub started to get busier and there seemed to be a lack of staff on. We ordered starters and they came out eventually. We had ordered the Scallops with chorizo and a pea puree. It was fine but the menu made no mention of the heavy laden of chilli. That's just personal taste but wondered why it wasn't listed on the menu.

I should have made it clear to the staff when I ordered (I admit my mistake) that I can not eat wheat products, but ordering the soft shell crab I had no idea it would be covered in batter, again this was not mentioned in the menu description. I had to send it back and order something else.

Was very disappointed to be charged full price for the two meals I had to order. I admit I made a mistake (feel it should have been mentioned that it was battered crab), but felt that it would have been a nice "good will" gesture if they only charged half price, after all we had eaten 3 meals there.

Overall, the food was fine but the staff could do with some customer service training! And whilst we will be back to the area, we will not be back at this pub!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for just one night. It's ok, nothing special but it's not dear. Room was comfortable and food is perfectly adequate. You get what you pay for, especially in that popular area.Location is good and beautiful walks are nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Inn? Share your experiences!