“Unique comfortable and secluded” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rohotu Fare Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bora Bora
Rohotu Fare Lodge
P.O Box 400, 98730, French Polynesia   |
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“Unique comfortable and secluded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Nir the owner has created a paradise away from the beach. I was a little conflicted on whether to stay on the water or at this location. There are just too many overwater bungalows in bora bora now. Considering that they start around $800 and they are basically an overpriced hotel room I could not justify it. I am glad I did not because I stayed in one in Tahiti and regretted the $600 I paid in that location.

Rohuto Fare has outdoor showers that just don't compare to anything else I have ever seen before. Nir, the owner has placed artwork throughout the Pension. He has also created a beautiful garden. Nir was very friendly. He just has a personality that makes you feel happy. Everything was very clean.

The Restaurants will pick you up and drop you off for dinner. Nir will set this up for you. He has bikes for free that allow you to explore the island and go to the grocery store for snacks and lunch if you just want a simple sandwitch. We ate cereal for breakfast as there is a fridge in the bedroom.

The view from the room is great. The deck overlooking the bay is very private and is mostly blocked by plants.

There are a few dogs and roosters that you can hear in the morning but most are far away.

The Tahiti air ferry will take you to the town of Vaitape and then a local tour guide will have a sign Rohotu Fare and pick you up free of charge. The driver does not go up the big hill to drop you off. He will beep and Nir will come down with a car to help get your luggage up. Nir took us to the ferry dock on the return to the airport.

I think it was a good value compared to the other options I looked at. I was able to pay with Visa and the Scuba diving company was able to charge to the room as well.. I don't know if other tours can work the same way.

I stayed two nights but would recommend three. We only planned to Scuba dive but I would have liked one more day to explore but we had two other islands to visit and limited time One of the best beaches is about a 10 minute bike ride away and there are several restaurants in this same area. I think the location is best for Couples in my opinion.

Nir speaks very good English and communication was no trouble at all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

The Rohotu Fare Lodge was for my new Bride and I, and amazing and unforgetable experience. We stayed at the one of Rohotu's lodges for 3 days during out stay in Bora Bora. Rohotu offers three uniquely carved wooden bungalows to provide for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Perched on the hillside of Bora Bora's main island, the bungalows are hidden in dense foliage, only to unveil themselves a superb view of the lagoon bay below. Nir, the onwer, is a man of unparalleled generosity and will go to great lengths to make your stay a most enjoyable one. We want to thank him again for 3 perfect days. The bungalows are each unique, offer a basic kitchen, allowing you to cook your own food. This helps keep the cost of your polynesian experience low, and we werre glad to be able to cook for ourselves as we had been eating in restaurants for over a week already. The NoaNoa lodge offers an interrior garden in which one finds a open air shower in the shape of a status pouring water on you. The beds are indeed comfortable, and the we found the mosquito nets to add to the romantic experience created by the uniqueness of the bungalows. The sunsets and sunrises are breathtaking. Nir offers your free wireless Internet, and bycicles to get around the island. We will keep the memory of our stay there for many many years to come...

Room Tip: Ask for the NoaNoa room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. Bora Bora in general is very expensive so it can be hard to decide where to stay unless cost is no object for you.

My husband decided on this place because of the price, there was a mini kitchen and the photos looked nice.

The owners wife was the only one there when we arrived, she was very helpful and friendly and provided cleaning and new towels every day during our stay. Which surprised us because some bed and breakfasts do not offer that.

There is a beautiful view from the balcony and the rooms have a lot of beautiful woodwork and decoration, but I wish there were some improvements to make it more comfortable.

The property is located on a step and poorly maintained dirt road. On the second day there I slipped and fell down the road because I lost balance and was carrying something in my hand. I am not clumsy and never fall, but was quite hurt before going on a lagoon day trip. I had deep cuts on my toes, shins, knees, elbow and arm. No one had bandaids so it was painful in the sea water that day. Do not stay here if you cannot walk up and down a slippery steep hill, and probably wear runners, flip flops are not good.

The bed is gigantic, it takes up the entire space of the room, so don't bring a lot of luggage there is little room for it inside.

There are not screens for the doors. So if you are sensitive to mosquitoes you'll have to stay under the mosquito net on the bed, or bathe in repellant. I'm really sensitive to mosquito bites so I was bitten quite a bit here compared to the other islands.

The bathroom/kitchen area is outside. There is an awning to protect from rain and a fence for privacy, but it is still outside, so if mosquitoes or creepy crawlies at night freak you out, you may not enjoy this if you need to use it after dusk.

There is no A/C in the room (obviously, it's not a sealed space) and there is one slow moving fan above the bed, you cannot change at all. There was a tiny portable fan that I propped up on the little night stand, but with two people in a tropical place you need more than that. 2 fans, or a bigger fan is necessary, we were sweating all night.

They offer free bikes to use but they are pretty worn, and the foam on the handle bars barely stays on so it's not comfortable to hang on to if you plan on biking every day to town or around the island. You can call for a taxi or rent other bikes though.

We did enjoy the service, the decor and the view it made our stay memorable. It was just tarnished a little from the mosquitoes and the heat at night. We've lived in the tropics before in Costa RIca and Hawaii, but there's either more fans or A/C provided in the bedrooms for a better night sleep.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Nadur, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This place is just out of the ordinary!... So amazing throughout the whole place. It is just the perfect place where to stay in Bora Bora for budget-minded travelers. i was so happy my husband and i choose this place because we really enjoy our whole stay, from the destination to the hotel... we can not complain about anything at all.

MY BEST AND ONLY ADVISE: TAKE LOTS OF MOSQUITO REPELLENT WITH U!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Such a beautiful experience! The owner, Nir, is fantastic: he did everithing he could to ensure we had a unforgettable experience during our trip to Bora Bora; the place was very autentic. What I liked more was the fact that you really felt you were surrounded by nature, nothing to do with the other hotels, which felt like thematic-park in comperison. You could hear the sounds of the animals lulling you to sleep....
Very advisable!
Nir, if you read this, I'm Sandra, one of the 4 friens wich were the on november. A big hug & thnks again for everything ;-)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

If you are looking for the atypical place to stay in ritzy Bora Bora, this is it! You feel like are you staying in the jungle with many of the comforts of home. Our spacious bungalow had a full kitchen. The unique aspects include an outdoor shower, outdoor toilet and a lot of funky (erotic) Polynesian art.  There is a roof over the shower and toilet, but it's not totally enclosed, and it's very interesting looking. The bungalow architect and ultimate host Nir is the best!  Since other guests were using all of his bicycles, he drove us to the store, the beach, the center of town, and even to the incredible dancing competition as part of the annual Heiva festival. Taxis are really expensive in Bora Bora. He also set up the island tours and dinner reservations for us.  Nir is a tremendous host and a very interesting person to talk to. He's very knowledgeable and has travelled a lot. He knows everything you will need to know to have a great time in Bora Bora. That's for certain. The most memorable part of the trip was when he not only told us about a tour going to see the total eclipse of the sun nearby, but when he kindly convinced us that it was not something to be missed. This eclipse tour's destination was a very un-populated atoll Anaa taking place on July 11th.  He said we must try to see it at 100%, and not the 98+% that could be observed from our planned destination on the island Moorea. Totality or 100% was critical to get the full effect of such an event, the stars returning in the middle of the day, and the ability to look directly at the sun without special lenses/glasses and see parts of it never otherwise observed. After much discussion, we ended up joining the tour to Anaa. On July 11, along with Nir and two other bungalow guests, we saw the total eclipse on the beach of Anaa for 2 and a half minutes.  It is an experience we will never forget. We would never have gone if Nir had not informed us and helped motivate us to see this spectacular event (for which he received no commission of any kind).  Nir went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we had a great time. When you do stay at the bungalows, don't forget to bring strong mosquito repellant, sleep under the mosquito nets, and be ready for the wild roosters to crow even before the crack of dawn!  The wild dogs make some noise at night as well. We recommend some ear plugs, at least, or white noise headphones if you have them. We spent 6 days here as part of our honeymoon and we plan to stay there again on our next visit. If we could, we would be back there next week! We loved the island, the jungle bungalow, and our gracious and helpful host Nir! I suspect there's a good chance we will run into our new friend Nir again, chasing another solar eclipse somewhere else on planet earth. Anyone for Arizona in 2012?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
mallorca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We spent three nights here and couldn't speak more highly of Nir (the owner) and his beautiful rustic lodges. If your looking for something a little different from your average Bora Bora experience (i.e. very very expensive super hotels), then this is for you. I'm not sure if you would want to spend all your time here, as part of the appeal to Bora Bora is staying on one of the motu's on the lagoon waters edge and Rohotu is up a hill on the main island. But to break up your holiday (and perhaps balance the cost of the horrific prices of the motu hotels) this is perfect for three or so days. Beautiful landscaped paths lead you to your lodge and there is feeling of being encompassed in a tropical forest hideaway. The lodge itself has a fantastic wooden four poster bed which looks out onto a very private balcony. In the back is an indoor/outdoor gardened area which has a funky outdoor shower plus toilet and kitchenette. The kitchenette, with a huge fridge and freezer was a massive bonus as we could semi cater for our selves so not spending all our money at often over priced restraunts and bars. Nothing beats enjoying cold Rose and french nibbles on the balcony for sundowners, or fresh coffee (there was a machine and ground coffee provided) in the morning while only wrapped in your sarong (if anything at all!). The money we saved we put towards fun excursions like hiring a small day boat for the day to explore the lagoon, which i would highly recommend, the best way to see the lagoon, in private. Nir is also extremely helpful so don't hesitate to ask his advice on anything Bora Bora. Another nice touch is there are free Bikes to borrow to explore which we found really handy for popping to the supermarket or nearest beach (approx 15 mins). All in all this is a fantastic alternative to what is offered on Bora Bora at a very very good price, definitely worth a short stay when exploring the island.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Rohotu Fare Lodge? Share your experiences!